PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Official Free Agency 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jonathan Casillas just finished his final year of the 3-year, $8M contract he signed with the Gints after his half-season stint with the Pats in 2014. He was a full-time starter at LB for the Gints (and very productive, especially in coverage) in 2015 and 2016,and in 2017 until a neck injury cut his season short at 8 games (a "stinger" that he originally suffered in 2017 Camp). He turns 31 in June.

He's not expecting to be offered another contract by the Gints.

The Pats might be able to sign him to a veteran minimum deal - roughly the same cap hit as Bolden (net $165k) - as an off-season insurance policy (assuming he's healthy).

Sounds like Dion is looking to get paid.

Please show me where that was said. You can't because it was never said nor implied.
You clearly have issues understanding plain English. There is no point talking about this further.

Link to your post: Free agent targets

My saying that KVN saw 100% of the snaps while HT was healthy is stating a fact.

might be time to hang up the mouse and keyboard buddy.

Link to your post: Free agent targets

might be time to hang up the mouse and keyboard buddy.

Hightower was active only for week-1 and week-4 thru week-7. Here are the snap counts:

wk-1, KCY ... HT, 52% ... KVN, 100%

wk-4, CAR ... HT, 59% ... KVN, 100%
wk-5, TBY ... HT, 86% ... KVN, 92%
wk-6, NYJ ... HT, 91% ... KVN, 86%
wk-7, ATL ... HT, 60% ... KVN, 91%

You expect to hear a general openness from every player who is a free agent. That said, he talked a lot longer than required in response to the question and definitely knew his stuff. In other words, I think his interest is genuine if the money is decent and Buffalo doesn't step up.

I'm wondering if the Pats can afford to pay him. But replacing Harris with him - effectively having Roberts replace Harris on the bench and Brown to take Roberts role - would be a nice upgrade. Type of dependable player Belichick loves to have in that role.

Not the sexiest player as far as playmaking goes, but he is steady, productive and consistently available. How much money would a guy like that go for?

I think Howe speculated "up to $8M" (APY), which might be out of the Pats range, but possibly as low as $5M APY, which, on a 3-year deal, could make his 2018 cap hit around $2.5M or even a bit lower.

I think Howe speculated "up to $8M" (APY), which might be out of the Pats range, but possibly as low as $5M APY, which, on a 3-year deal, could make his 2018 cap hit around $2.5M or even a bit lower.
No one asked me, but I’m wondering if his AAV may be in the middle of your projected range? I’m guessing something around 6.5m a year, and I’m thinking that may be priced out of our range. Hopefully not, because I think he could be a nice addition, but I think we’re going to see a healthier HT, KVN, the return of Rivers, + a higher round draft pick. I’m also hoping that M.Flowers could be retained, as well as maybe Harrison as a depth option.

Yes, I’m collecting LBs.

No one asked me, but I’m wondering if his AAV may be in the middle of your projected range? I’m guessing something around 6.5m a year, and I’m thinking that may be priced out of our range. Hopefully not, because I think he could be a nice addition, but I think we’re going to see a healthier HT, KVN, the return of Rivers, + a higher round draft pick. I’m also hoping that M.Flowers could be retained, as well as maybe Harrison as a depth option.

Yes, I’m collecting LBs.

No shame, there, at this point. The more, the merrier for the 90-man roster!

For the 53-man, I'd guess that the LB count ends up around 6, depending on how much legitimate OLB/DE versatility they have among the edge players. But that 6 seems likely to include at least three, maybe four, who can play ILB/MLB (bonus if they can handle some OLB, too).

In 2017, they started with HT, KVN, Harris and Roberts. HT and KVN have the ILB/OLB versatility thing. Harris seemed pretty much limited to ILB/MLB, and Roberts seemed like would have been limited to ILB/MLB (as a reserve) if everything else hadn't gone to s**t.

Langi, who was healthy to begin the season, seems like he might have ended up being a deep-reserve OLB/ILB trainee while paying his rookie dues on ST. Alas.

Anyway, if the Pats actually do manage to steal PB away from the Bills on an extended contract (3-4 years), I'd guess they'd view him as a lock for (primarily) an ILB/MLB role, replacing Harris (or replacing what they perhaps hoped Harris could be if/when HT was injured), and moving Roberts back to ILB/MLB reserve.

That could project the 53-man LB group as:
... Brown - ILB/MLB (maybe some occasional OLB, extensive ST history)
... Roberts - ILB/MLB (reserve, not much ST work)
... KVN - OLB/ILB (more ST work than Roberts)
... HT - OLB/ILB (DE)

[NOTE: I really don't expect McClellin to return.]

Plus (roles undetermined, as of now):
... Langi (6015/251) - same size as PB, actually
... Rivers (6041/248)
... Lee (6032/260) - "DE" who played quite a bit at OLB in his six games

[NOTE: I'm counting Grissom and Grigsby only as ST/ELE-reserve. "ELE" = Extinction Level Event.]

Unsigned, but close at hand:
... M. Flowers (6025/245) - OLB (proven ST chops)
... Harrison (6000/245) - OLB (DE)

So, signing Brown could clarify the direction/positional focus heading into the Draft quite a bit, and perhaps the intended developmental tracks for Rivers and Langi, as well.

On the DE side of the "OLB thing", most likely:
- Lee ... because he did some in 2017, regardless whether he was consistently successful or not
- Trey Flowers ... probably gets as much "OLB" work as HT gets for "DE" work
- Grissom (ELE-reserve)
- Keionta Davis (6030/271) - unknown
- Caleb Kidder (6044/269) - unknown

[NOTE: I'm not seeing Wise as doing much "OLB" type work (yet).]

Mo money, Mo problems.

I had such high hopes for him when he came into the NFL. Maybe a change of scenery would help his attitude? He was never a problem for his rookie contract, and made some fantastic plays. He'll probably be out of our price point, however.

Reaching for 7th round Safeties in the Second Round BB.

There is no such thing a reaching. You dont know any other teams board. This is all ******** bingo because of those non-sensical mock drafts by Kiper & co. If you have a high enough grade on a player and you think he might be gone by the next time you pick.. you take him. Especially given how we all know how legendary small the Patriot draft boards are (50-75 players).

Blame the evaluation process for all I care but not where a player was drafted. In case of Richards he was clearly evaluated with a grade of 2 which means potential starter. At this point its pretty obvious that they just cant nail the athletic profile for that SS/LB role and keep misevaluating players they try to draft for it. Doubt that this will make them stop trying though.

Add DE Willie (not so) Young to the list of impending street free agents.

Status
Not open for further replies.

2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
Back