PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

PostGame Thread Official Pats-Packers Preseason Game Reaction Thread

Immediate Postgame Reactions
Mac Jones 6-9-52
that's 5.7 ypa. that's a joke. it's just a continuation of the pop gun offense from last year. I don't see how people think Jones was good. He was barely adequate, missed open guys, and generally did nothing to make anyone think the offense is going to be able to put up the # of points you need to win consistently in the modern NFL.
And full disclaimer, I'm not anti Mac Jones. the team could win with him if they had anyone others than 2s and 3s for pass catchers.
Henry ran the wrong route.

These guys better shape up or ship out.

Never changed my opinion on him after that. It was completely inexcusable.
He wasn't my favorite but did some good things here.

I thought Zappe looked awful, just holding the ball way too long, indecisive in the pocket, happy feet, just a far cry from the see it, throw it player he was when getting playing time last year, which may have a lot to do with an opened up playbook and more responsibilities in terms of progressions, setting protections and calling plays.

Didn't think Mac was impressive either, I'm honestly a bit stunned at the positive reception to his performance. Not that he was bad, he was okay, but he missed Henry down the seam, he missed Parker deep and missed him on the called PI in the end zone that set up the TD (awful placement on the fade) and I'm sorry, if they are going to go five wide a ton and put him in shotgun with a lot of leeway in terms of changing the play and making adjustments at the line, he'll have to be his best pass protector. It's just the reality of playing that sort of game, guys will rush free and it'll take one loss by the OL for the pass rush to be on you. Or he'll have to make a ton of big plays to make up for sacks if he's willing to hold the ball, as Burrow does in a similar type of offense, at least formationally. It's why I thought the ball to Douglas in space was his best play. Recognize where they vacated to rush, get the ball there quickly, first down.
I think the fade criticism is unfounded. If Parkers jersey isn't grabbed he is 2 feet deeper into the corner and has a zhot at that ball. And no one else does.

Bourne and Boutte stood out. Pop also but he was quickly stashed away so no chance to stand out as much. Didn’t think Parker showed as much as those three however.
Behind the right side of this line.. I don't blame BB for pulling pop.. Parker got open plenty Mac was over throwing him.. Parker is a great sideline catch WR.. not a deep middle guy IMO. KB looks great, played with confidence.

The offense is a work in progress, but improving. They need to keep working in practice at refining synergy and being on the same page, especially Mac and his receivers.

If the Patriots played and kept their ones in the entire game yesterday, they would have won in convincing fashion. If they ran anything but vanilla plays they would have blown the Packers out... like reports from the last day of joint practice. The rest of preseason will be about rounding out the backend of the roster, not determining who the starters are... they already know that.

Game three will be a battle of the benchwarmers, they are playing for roster spots. Cunningham, Boutte, all the backup DB's... we'll see what they're made of now. I mean.... anyone who has the patience to watch that dreck.

I do not see QB1 locked in at all.

Henry was wide open and there was a clean pocket. And, Jones never looked to his left on the strip sack. To me that is troubling and brings back memories of Mark Sanchez who was also oblivious to his surroundings. I do not get the impression that QB1 is in control, just like Sanchez.

Parker
Bourne
JuJu
Boutee
Douglas

Those are my 5. I expected Boutee to be frail, but the dude looks physical.
Short of an injury there is no effing way Mac isn't the starter week one. And if you think otherwise that says more about you than it does about him.

The Parker deep ball was on Parker. He should of caught that. And it was JuJu in the end zone and he was clearly held around the waist on his break, which slowed him down. (***Edit: I just re-watched the game and it was most definitely Parker. When I watched it live last night I thought I saw number 7. I really hate these single digit numbers all over the field.)

Those are two odd plays to choose to show Max in a negative.

The Henry pass was bad, but I thought he made quick, decisive decisions for the majority of his snaps.

He stepped up in the pocket, which is something he hasn't really done in the past two years and I didn't see any of his terrible, off his back foot throws.

Overall I thought it was a solid showing by Mac. He needs to keep improving and the big boys in front of him to get healthy.

A couple of things:

The Henry pass was a case of either Mac or Henry misreading the defense being on the wrong page. Looking at the safety coverage in the All-22 will tell you which one screwed up.

It is a fallacy that Mac didn’t step up in the pocket his rookie year. He was excellent at it for a rookie and pretty good for a seasoned veteran. Last year was another story.

Comments:

1.) Just watched the NFL Network replay. It aired at 1PM PST today.

2.) I really like how they cut it all up. I watched a 3.3 quarter football game in 35 minutes and they did not show the final play where Munson hit Bolden.

3.) Happy Bolden is O.K. for now. Cancelling that game and joint practices was the right call, IMO.

4.) One thing I don't like about YouTube.TV is not being able to do slo-motion playback. With DirecTV, I could press pause then the fast forward button to move it frame by frame. That was helpful with pre-season games in the past. Like for example, I'd have loved another look at that Christian Gonzalez PI call in the 3rd quarter.

5.) The 2nd OL unit opened some good holes in the 3rd quarter.

6.) Boutte made the 53 man roster.

7.) Bourne is our 3rd WR without doubt. Unless we trade him, IMO.

8.) Mac was a little off....if he underthrew Parker and Henry a little bit....he would have had a monster game, IMO.

9.) I thought Rodney Randle, Jr. played some good.....hope we can sneak him on the P.S.

10.) Jalen Mills is better at safety....

11.) Dugger is gonna be a killer this year if he doesn't get hurt (knocks on wood).

12.) Rham is a great RB man...we are so lucky!

13.) The defense had some miscues against the Packers, O.K. They pay the other guys too.....(shrugs)

14.) Dumb penalty by Sam Roberts....never launch yourself at the damn QB when he's down......I know it is a fast game...bang bang and all of that...but it was pre-season and allowed them to score too.

15.) Not expecting to see much against the Titans in 5-6 days.... the calm before the storm of week 1, baby! No more injuries...time to rehab guys and get them ready!

Short of an injury there is no effing way Mac isn't the starter week one. And if you think otherwise that says more about you than it does about him.

Yeah, even if Jones was struggling, I haven’t seen anything from Zappe to show me he is ready to be a starter. He had a few good flashes last night, but not enough against twos and threes to make me think he is even stirring up a QB competition.

A couple of thoughts I've had today were the run blocking was much better this game, JJ and Harris both looked solid to me. Also Jalen Mills has really popped in both games, hope he keeps it up as he's another versatile tool in the D backfield.

He starts and the first 4 games are huge.

Remember how messed up the scheduling and standings/HFA calculation was after the Hamlin I’m sure they don’t want to make that chaos a recurring thing when the games count.

Sure they do, if it can benefit their favored team.

Just re-watched Boutte’s TD. Very impressive acceleration. Seems he will be a threat to break it any time he catches the ball. He mayve benefitted from catching the defense off guard, but if that’s really a factor it means the defense must always take him into consideration. Isn’t that the definition of a true #1 WR?

They gotta keep this guy.

I understand it. But, at the same time, does this have to become the new en vogue thing in the NFL... anytime a guy gets concussed, they cancel the game? Where do you draw the line? Hamlin - we all get - that was unique, he died on the field. But, what happened to Bolden happens a lot, where guys get knocked out cold, they do all the neural/spinal protections and cart him off. I'm not being callous, I'm genuinely curious, where do you draw the line with when to end a game? I only hope this was because it was preseason, and had gone on long enough, and was in the 4th quarter.
What happened to "the show must go on"? Circus performers set the standard.

I remember early Kevin "What The" Faulk staring at the ball he'd fumbled when (was it GB?) recovered the ball. He went on to have a Great career.

Yep, 2002 vs GB in Foxborough... Stephen Neal appeared to be the only Patriot who knew what the heck had just happened, but unfortunately he damaged his shoulder while diving for the ball and missed the rest of the season.

That said, Steub is Dead To Me.

Don't know why Bill didn't gamble on goodness with former Penn State & current GB OT Rasheed Walker, taken 3 picks after Andy Stubby.

The offense is a work in progress, but improving. They need to keep working in practice at refining synergy and being on the same page, especially Mac and his receivers.

If the Patriots played and kept their ones in the entire game yesterday, they would have won in convincing fashion. If they ran anything but vanilla plays they would have blown the Packers out... like reports from the last day of joint practice. The rest of preseason will be about rounding out the backend of the roster, not determining who the starters are... they already know that.

Game three will be a battle of the benchwarmers, they are playing for roster spots. Cunningham, Boutte, all the backup DB's... we'll see what they're made of now. I mean.... anyone who has the patience to watch that dreck.
if ifs and buts were candy and nuts Bill the Coach would have won a playoff game the last 4 seasons

Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Back