PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OLB Greg Romeus

Status
Not open for further replies.

BPF

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
This is a kid I really like, could be this years Gronk. Reiss mentions him today.

Day 3 Patriots Combine wrap-up - New England Patriots Blog - ESPN Boston

Keep Romeus on the radar. The Patriots hit a home run in 1995 when they rolled the dice on a running back with a knee injury at the University of Pittsburgh. Yeah, that Curtis Martin guy turned out to be pretty good after he was picked in the third round. Maybe they try it again on the other side of the ball this year with Pittsburgh outside linebacker Greg Romeus (6-4, 264), who was limited to two games in 2010 because of injuries (knee/back) and is viewed as a mid-round pick by analysts at this point. Romeus totaled 19.5 sacks in his first three seasons and when he walked into the media center, he certainly looked the part. "My strength is pass rushing, I love to pass rush. I have a long body and I'm aggressive," he said. One other factor to keep in mind with Romeus: His coach at Pittsburgh, Dave Wannstedt, is now with the Buffalo Bills.

Greg Romeus, Pittsburgh, NFL Draft - CBSSports.com - NFLDraftScout.com

How bad were the injuries?

I can't wait to see what his 40 and shuttle times are. This guy might be a sleeper and it's interesting Reiss mentioned him.

Last edited:
How bad were the injuries?

I can't wait to see what his 40 and shuttle times are. This guy might be a sleeper and it's interesting Reiss mentioned him.
He returned from the back surgery, and promptly injured his knee. He seems willing to work at rehab, so PUP may be required for the knee, or he might not be available before 2012.

Good point about Wannstedt and Romeus. BUF picks at #68 and #99. I could see them shoring up their run D with a stout 3-4DE at #3 and maybe an ILB (or CB) at #34 (or #68), and then taking a flyer on Romeus with one of those later picks, even though he might seem a little redundant given their current roster.

Good point about Wannstedt and Romeus. BUF picks at #68 and #99. I could see them shoring up their run D with a stout 3-4DE at #3 and maybe an ILB (or CB) at #34 (or #68), and then taking a flyer on Romeus with one of those later picks, even though he might seem a little redundant given their current roster.

I agree. But then again, it's Buffalo. They'll probably take a QB just to kill their fan base. Or perhaps even another 1st-round RB.

If he's available in the 3rd, I'd take a long look.

I agree. But then again, it's Buffalo. They'll probably take a QB just to kill their fan base. Or perhaps even another 1st-round RB.

Could be. OTOH, unless it's pure mis-direction, Gailey stated recently that he's ridden QBs far less talented than Fitzy into the playoffs and Nix has stated that their #1 priority in this draft is improving run defense. However, Ralph Wilson still apparently has significant "input" on draft selections, especially early ones, and he's been known to "strongly suggest" picking his binkys.

Romeus used to have a nose for the ball. He was in on every freakin' play as a junior. Really good instincts.

He could be a late second rounder.

Could be. OTOH, unless it's pure mis-direction, Gailey stated recently that he's ridden QBs far less talented than Fitzy into the playoffs and Nix has stated that their #1 priority in this draft is improving run defense. However, Ralph Wilson still apparently has significant "input" on draft selections, especially early ones, and he's been known to "strongly suggest" picking his binkys.

I think it'd be stupid to burn the pick on a QB. Then again, the Bills aren't exactly known for doing the smart thing. So it'll be interesting to see what happens there.

I'm still unclear on what their base defense will be. They tried transitioning to a 3-4, struggled, and played mostly 4-3 at the end of the season. Nix said they'll be scouting guys for the 3-4, but Wannstedt is the DC and his experience is in the 4-3.

So sounds like the perfect recipe for another botched draft for the Bills.

9 months ago, Greg Romeus was a VERY hot name, and generally considered a Top 10 guy in most Mocks...

I still love the kid. I'm not entirely sure if he's got the Coverage skills the position calls for...But for the right price, he certainly intrigues, because he's got the perfect build to Rush the Passer AND Set the Edge.

IF we draft Aldon Smith ~ or Robert Quinn* ~ as I pray we do, then any additional Flankers are #3 and #4 types, though still important in our Strategic OutLook. As such, I'd be willing to spend no more than a 5th on Romeus, particularly considering that I've got my eye on several other Boom or Bust types in the LATER rounds, and Markus White in the 4th.

Buffalo is rumored to be locked in on Cam Newton.

Funny thing is, the Auburn offense is a run first offense and Newton threw only 292 balls in his college career.

I am not sure Newton can read a defense or make any appropriate calls.

Now he may wow teams in workouts all day long, and might develop into something, but I'm not sure he is worth the #3 pick in the draft.

9 months ago, Greg Romeus was a VERY hot name, and generally considered a Top 10 guy in most Mocks...

I still love the kid. I'm not entirely sure if he's got the Coverage skills the position calls for...But for the right price, he certainly intrigues, because he's got the perfect build to Rush the Passer AND Set the Edge.

IF we draft Aldon Smith ~ or Robert Quinn* ~ as I pray we do, then any additional Flankers are #3 and #4 types, though still important in our Strategic OutLook. As such, I'd be willing to spend no more than a 5th on Romeus, particularly considering that I've got my eye on several other Boom or Bust types in the LATER rounds, and Markus White in the 4th.

Coming off the torn ACL Romeus will need a red shirt year or at least start out on the PUP list.

White is an intriguing prospect who knows how to get to the QB.

Anybody who drafts Cam Newton before the 4th Round DESERVES failure.

LeBron JAMES, ladies and gentlemen.

He'll rack up the STATS...

But: good luck trying to win a Championship with him.

Eventually, he'll pull his Franchise into the Vortex...much like Michael Vick and Vince Young, before him.

Coming off the torn ACL Romeus will need a red shirt year or at least start out on the PUP list.

White is an intriguing prospect who knows how to get to the QB.

We see 100% eye to eye on BOTH accounts.

Eventually, he'll pull his Franchise into the Vortex...much like Michael Vick and Vince Young, before him.

Why all the negativity for Newton?

Don't get me wrong, I would not burn a 1st rounder on him, but I would use a second rounder on him. I think he will need a few years before he amounts to anything as a QB.

I think he is very raw as a QB and can't read defenses and can't make calls, but does appear to be able to make all the throws and is a natural leader.

Last edited:

Why all the negativity for Newton?

Don't get me wrong, I would not burn a 1st rounder on him, but I would use a second rounder on him. I think he will need a few years before he amounts to anything as a QB.

I think he is very raw as a QB and can't read defenses and can't make calls, but does appear to be able to make all the throws and is a natural leader.

Fair Question, Brother Jones...

It's like this, with me: I LIKE Cam Newton...but this whole "Team Newton" bit, followed by the "Icon" bit, merely confirms my earlier impression of him: He's much more interested in being a STAR...than in winning World Championships.

Fair Question, Brother Jones...

It's like this, with me: I LIKE Cam Newton...but this whole "Team Newton" bit, followed by the "Icon" bit, merely confirms my earlier impression of him: He's much more interested in being a STAR...than in winning World Championships.

I agree and Mayock said several times on NFL network yesterday that work ethic is a concern with Newton.

I agree and Mayock said several times on NFL network yesterday that work ethic is a concern with Newton.[/QUOTE

I thought I caught an analyst saying something about Newton's 40 being ok, compared to (Washington QB) who ran better. I didn't think much of it, until I read your post, and a previous one of Newton only throwing 292 times in college. Put it all together and you get a big "WTF".

Buffalo is rumored to be locked in on Cam Newton.

Funny thing is, the Auburn offense is a run first offense and Newton threw only 292 balls in his college career.

I am not sure Newton can read a defense or make any appropriate calls.

Now he may wow teams in workouts all day long, and might develop into something, but I'm not sure he is worth the #3 pick in the draft.

IDK, unless it's pure mis-direction, Nix has said their focus is on run D in this draft and Gailey has said he likes Fitzy and thinks he can get into the playoffs with him. Gailey coached Elway and Aikman and got into the playoffs with O'Donnell, Tomczak and Fiedler.

Status
Not open for further replies.

2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
Back