PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT: Texas Tech fires Mike Leach

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ya, and I hate snitches, in almost any context. Here's analogy that I hope is simple enough for you:

You're working for an employer who has given you a great job and treated you very well. The job gives you access to some sensitive (and shady)information that doesn't concern you, but that would irrepairably damage the company you work for, not to mention putting every one of your co-workers out of a job if revealed. You take it upon yourself to take down the ship so that people who are infinitely more powerful [and shady] than your boss--let's say the government in this example--can give you a big slap on the back and tell everyone what a great, honest person you are.

BTW, at the time, I loved it when the SMU program was going down in flames. They had taken art of cheating in college athletics to a new level. The problem I have is with the former snitch who is now Mr. Squeaky Clean, highly respected broadcaster--the personification of everything that is good and sacred about college athletics. :eat1:

Seriously, where are you getting this stuff about James taking down the program? It's wrong. And he did nothing more thand efend his son. Not try to come out squeaky clean!!

In case you didn't notice, look at the guys announcing these games.

Lou Holtz, are you kidding me? Mr. probation himself!!! Bob Griese who slobbered all over Michigan for years? There are lots of dirty guys at work. You're singling out James.

When the Board of Regents and their yes-men have to scramble and improvise when word gets out that a judge is about to make a decision that you never anticipated in your wildest dreams--in this case, lifting the suspension until all the information comes to light, and even worse, allowing your target-man to create a national embarrassment for your university by representing it on a national TV stage.

In other words, when the mother of all PR fiascos is about to happen on Jan. 2nd if you don't take immediate action.

You don't get it.

First, I'll say again, it was the board of trustees, no regents. The regents are from the university system.

Second, the incident just happened. They were running an investigation. The day after Leach sued them, they completed it and fired him. Nothing more needs to be said. It's just a coincidence that the bonus was due a day later. They don't owe Leach anything since the lawyers can clearly argue the coincidental nature of the punishment and the deadline. If only Leach hadn't stuck the kid in a shed, he would get his $800k.

Not really shmessy. Remember, this is the same gang who gave their blessing to hiring Knight in the first place, at a time when Knight couldn't have gotten a 2nd assistant job at Roger Williams.

Everything they put in the contract is all well and good, but Knight still violated the "good behavior" clause on at least two occasions. What's really interesting is the difference in the way the Knight incidents were handled verses Leach's F up. Another reason why I think Leach is holding a better hand than anyone around here thinks he is. :)

Knight lightly slapped a kid in the face to get his attention. Reprehensible? Suspendable? Yes. Doesn't compare at all to punishing a kid for a concussion.

Let us assume Adam James is a 20-year-old punk, as many stories indicate, who was using the sunglasses-treatment of his mild concussion as an opportunity to cavort around on the sidelines and generally be a ****. The way to deal with this situation is the same as you would deal with any unruly player: you dismiss them from practice. You tell them you can't coach them currently, and if they are not being coached, other players who are being coached will probably earn their playing time. This is what BB did when he recently sent 4 late players home from practice; he did not put them in a room with a bunch of ticking clocks to teach them the value of being on time.

The way Leach handled the initial situation confused his role as a coach with that of some kind of lawgiver, and it confused Adam Jones' injury with his lack of coach-ability. The most important aspect of this or any other disciplinary matter is what it says to the other players on the team. Leach's way tells them injuries — specifically, concussions — can be used as punishment for an offense, or might even be considered an offense in themselves. BB's way tells players that practice and coaching are privileges effective players should attempt to utilize as much as they are able. If Leach had merely told Adam James to leave practice and further reduced his playing time, no doubt he'd still have to deal with an obnoxious parent. But Texas Tech would need other grounds to fire him, and Craig James would have to content himself to making snide or offhand remarks about Leach on air, like Tom Jackson does with BB.

If we are to take Adam James' actions in this matter (and those of his father) as evidence of everyday systematic malfeasance, I'd take Leach's method of handling this the same way. It implies to me he runs a system based on control instead of on participation, which is how the rest of college is run.

An eloquent explanation that sums up my feelings perfectly. Well done.

You don't get it.

First, I'll say again, it was the board of trustees, no regents. The regents are from the university system.

Second, the incident just happened. They were running an investigation. The day after Leach sued them, they completed it and fired him. Nothing more needs to be said. It's just a coincidence that the bonus was due a day later. They don't owe Leach anything since the lawyers can clearly argue the coincidental nature of the punishment and the deadline. If only Leach hadn't stuck the kid in a shed, he would get his $800k.

Boy, they sure did "complete" that investigation fast! Must be some kind of a record. :rolleyes: :confused:
I don't think you get it--Leach has not "sued" anyone yet. He was appealing his suspension (and about to temporarily prevail) when the University lowered the hammer.

You keep basing your arguments on your conclusion that Leach was abusing James for having a concussion, and stuck him in a "shed," when all the facts haven't come to light yet. At some point we will know what exactly happened, when depositions of trainers, players, and coaches are complete.

Again, I think the most interesting angle is the Craig James/ESPN connection. I always thought it strange and borderline innappropriate that James was doing all the Tech games for ESPN/ABC in the first place.

Leach says player's father meddled frequently - College Football - Rivals.com

"Leach said there are “too many unholy alliances” at Tech, including the relationship between James and a few administrators."

Upstarter - I suggest you stop riding Craig James coat tails and watch this interview of Leach that was conducted by ESPN.

Mike Leach Details Craig James' 'Meddling' on ESPN -- NCAAFB FanHouse

Craig James has serious issues.. I'm not saying what Leach did was right, but if even half the stuff about James that is coming out is true, James is a bigger cause for this situation than Leach.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes