PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Our Three 2024 QB's

I think we should allow for the possibility that this could be a wake up call for Mac, and he understands how close he is to losing his NFL dream.

Getting cut can sober a player and get his attention, like it seems to have with Zappe.

Of course, Mac will need to earn the job back since he already lost it to Zappe.

If would benefit the Pats if Jones could do that, but it won’t happen until next year, if ever.

And this doesn’t even consider the possibility/likelihood that the Pats draft another QB high this year.
All the wake up calls in the world won’t result in the tiger changing his stripes.

Corky is what he is. Guys in the locker room see that, and play harder for Zappe. That says enough.

I think we should allow for the possibility that this could be a wake up call for Mac, and he understands how close he is to losing his NFL dream.

Getting cut can sober a player and get his attention, like it seems to have with Zappe.

Of course, Mac will need to earn the job back since he already lost it to Zappe.

If would benefit the Pats if Jones could do that, but it won’t happen until next year, if ever.

And this doesn’t even consider the possibility/likelihood that the Pats draft another QB high this year.
Agreed. I thought of that today watching Mac grow impatient on the sideline when Zappe was struggling.

Sometimes “star” players need the reality check. I use star loosely obviously but being a college champion starting QB, rookie pro bowler he was probably getting a big head.

Mac has more talent than Zappe and this wake up call motivates him, I wouldn’t rule him out for 2024

If we get one of the top 3 QBs in the draft then I expect them to start and not sit behind Zappe.

The top 3 QBs are much better than anything we have on our roster.

A rookie sitting behind zappe wont learn ****. It’s not like we got a Brady/Manning in front of the rookie.

• Agree
Reactions: sb1
Well lookie there - Zappe's stats are about exactly the same as Mac's prorated for the fewer games started.
I mean, it's uncanny.
Mac - 10.5 GS - 2100 yds, 65%, 10TD, 12INT
Zap - 5.5 GS - 1200 yds, 61%, 6TD, 7INT

Well lookie there - Zappe's stats are about exactly the same as Mac's prorated for the fewer games started.
I mean, it's uncanny.
Mac - 10.5 GS - 2100 yds, 65%, 10TD, 12INT
Zap - 5.5 GS - 1200 yds, 61%, 6TD, 7INT
To be fair one is a first round pick and the other is a a 4th round pick with UDFA level talent.

To be fair one is a first round pick and the other is a a 4th round pick with UDFA level talent.
In a similar vein you could say Mac was a first round pick with 4th-6th round talent. Zappe was a 5 year starter v 1 year for Mac so Mac was more of a gamble, as high picks often are. With Zappe you knew what you were getting as he'd already played for 5 years.

Moving on I'd release Mac as he needs a reset. Zappe will hang around and compete for a backup job with a rookie and vet.

I agree that they should have three quarterbacks in the rotation.

One should be a rookie. The guy we hope ultimately takes the lead in 2025.

Another should be Zappe. A serviceable backup who can play if called upon.

The starter should be a short term veteran. I'd be fine with Wilson, Cousins, or Flacco if they were willing to play that role.

I think the thing that some of us might overlook is that both Mac and Zappe haven't had that veteran guidance in their careers. They were kind of 'thrown into the mix' and didn't have someone to 'show them the way'. Would things have been different? Doubt it, but I think having a veteran who can mentor would be a good thing to have for 'the next guy'.

MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Back