PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Patriots are signing Patrick Chung

Status
Not open for further replies.
I disagree with those who feel this signing was a bad one, I actually think it was a very good signing by the Patriots. Posters/fans forget there was a time when Chung looked like a rising star as an in the box safety and enforcer. The problem that Chung ran into in 2011 and 2012 was that was playing with Barrett, Ihedigbo, and Gregory. As part of that tandem, he was the deeper safety and took on more of the coverage responsibility. Chung is not good in coverage especially deep, he is best in the box close to the line in a Kam Chancellor role.

With McCourty able to play the deep safety (center field), Revis to cover the opponents #1 WR 1on1, Browner to cover the opponents #1 TE 1on1, and Dennard to cover the opponents #2 WR 1on1 it will allow Chung to play in the box. I also think he will be off the field in passing situations and replaced by Logan Ryan or Duron Harmon.

You need 90 guys on a camp roster, and you can do worse than Chung competing for a 2nd string roster spot.

An offseason that started with a bang has been followed by some borderline terrible ideas. Chung sucked when he was here. He sucked even harder in Philly. Does the team think that he's somehow not going to suck now that he's back here? Hopefully they still have plans to draft a safety.

He sucked in 2012; he did not suck in 2010 when he was second on the team in tackles, pass defends, and interceptions. He did not suck in 2011 either when his play down the stretch actually helped carry us to the Super Bowl. Chung was once a player on the rise who looked like one of the most promising safeties in the NFL, in 2010 in 14 games, he had 96 tackles, 3 interceptions, 9 pass defends, 4 run stuffs, and 2 blocked kicks. He was not a good fit with Gregory and the team had just committed to Gregory in UFA and Wilson in the draft so with Chung as an impending UFA he fell deep on the depth chart.

He did suck on the Eagles but once again he is not good in coverage, if they bring him in here and use him as a rotational player on early downs as an in the box safety I think fans will be very pleased with what Chung does in 2014.

I'm fascinated by this thread. You would have thought Brady just got released and signed by the Jets. Chung sucks, who cares, just another camp body. Let it go, breath people.

I agree with you Brady6. Also there are no guarantees he makes the final 53, especially if we draft a safety. I haven't seen the numbers but he's probably pretty cheap. Doesn't hurt to bring him in and see if he can earn a spot.

The fact that it's Chung and not a Steve Gregory type tells me that there is some credence to the S/LB hybrid role being a part of D moving forward. Which def makes guys like Shazier, KPL, Van Noy etc. worth taking strong looks is they project to see starter reps in that capacity

It can't be to bring Chung in as just a S, if so BB is clearly a masochist. Or he suffers from the same ailment that Drew Barrymore had in 50 1st dates.

Chung isn't that big for a classic SS — half the places on the internet have him listed as FS — so I don't see the LB/S hybrid thing.

He's a better STer than Steve Gregory but I don't think he was brought in to be a ST ace.

He was brought in to be a backup safety. Or at least compete for that spot.

Chung isn't that big for a classic SS — half the places on the internet have him listed as FS — so I don't see the LB/S hybrid thing.

He's a better STer than Steve Gregory but I don't think he was brought in to be a ST ace.

On a serious note, the signing makes the most sense to me if we look at him as a combination bandaid/insurance covering

non-drafting of S position
A. Wilson's inability to play
T. Wilson's continuing struggles

and being used as a last resort placeholder in case nobody else shakes loose after the draft.

Why do the usual suspects have to come into a thread where they know people are going to be blowing off steam about a signing, and piss all over people because they are blowing off steam about a signing? They know what they are going to see in this thread before they click on it. I started off with a joke and a couple of gifs for fun, and someone *****ed about the gifs as 'drama'. Even long time homers have posted some 'negative' things in this thread. Why shouldn't they? Everyone knows that Chung was a failure the first time around. Everyone knows that Chung was a failure in Philly. Everyone knows that this pick will be greeted with a range of thought/emotion, and that people will move on from there in hopes that a better alternative than the current group is eventually found.

Coming in here and crying about the reaction is tantamount to going into the "Jets suck" thread and complaining about posters who are saying that the Jets suck.

It's funny you say this, because you are exactly the type of poster to come into a thread of people blowing off steam or not being super analytical and start correcting everyone.

...and he's injured.

It's funny you say this, because you are exactly the type of poster to come into a thread of people blowing off steam or not being super analytical and start correcting everyone.

Do tell me when I've done anything like that in threads about re-signed former Patriots. I look forward to re-reading those threads. I don't recall there being a near-universal opinion about Branch being done when he was first brought back, for example, but maybe I'm misremembering.

And I think my history in the "Jets suck" threads shows a combination of play and analysis as opposed to pure "I can't believe this!" reponses.

On a serious note, the signing makes the most sense to me if we look at him as a combination bandaid/insurance covering

non-drafting of S position
A. Wilson's inability to play
T. Wilson's continuing struggles

and being used as a last resort placeholder in case nobody else shakes loose after the draft.

I think the misconception is that Chung was awful when he was here and that was not at all the case, in 2010 and 2011 he was second only to McCourty in our secondary. In 2012, Gregory and Chung went out with injuries, at that time the team moved McCourty to safety and paired him with Gregory and Wilson. The reason for this was that Chung was a UFA who was looking for a big second contract at the end of 2012 and the team had just signed Gregory to a 3-year contract and drafted Wilson with the a second round pick.

As often as its him that will start the snark in a thread and then pretend any rhetoric used in response to said snark is either meant literally or an aggregious overreaction... Im doubting Deus is even capable of recognizing hypocrisy when he sees it, let alone admitting to it -unless it's to point it out in other people... ;)

Chung is def not a FS. He isn't the same kind of safety as Gregory either who can be flipped in a pinch and can cover WR's @ times.

But his style of play fits the role. His best fit is playing in the box. BB had a front row seat for his coverage woes I wouldn't assume he needs to see it again. Not gonna discount his fit because of his weight when everything else points to it. When he was drafted he weighed 212 so probably around 220+ now.

These Tweener backers that everyone's talking about may have 10-15lbs on Chung if not less. Shazier was playing @ 220+ all year and will prob have added 10lbs when steps onto an NFL field.

Chung isn't great but he isn't completely terrible and worthless. He did help us get to the Super Bowl (if only he coulda stopped mHam :mad:), and that was with a horrendous secondary and average defense. Compared to his last year in 2012, he will be playing with a secondary that at full potential is top 5 in the league and a defense that if healthy is top 10 material. I think he could be helpful and is much better than having Tavon Wilson start :D

You HOPE that BB sees it that way as do I.

But, as I already pointed out, you're a hater. :p

Welcome to the dark side. We've got the best booze.

And cookies. We've got cookies.

He knows the system and with McCourty at FS and Revis Browner and Dennard at Corner (and Ryan also) Chung can play to his strength in the box, his biggest issues were when he was pigeon-holed into being a FS with an injured James Ihedigbo next to him at SS. I'm not saying he is going to be an all pro, but he can at least be a serviceable player if it comes to it.

But, as I already pointed out, you're a hater. :p

Welcome to the dark side. We've got the best booze.

And cookies. We've got cookies.
I like cookies.
He has to be a ST signing. I don't want to see him next to DM in Sept unless they're celebrating another Brady TD pass.

He knows the system. He knows Belichick. He knows quite a few of the guys in the locker room.

How often do you see the Patriots let a player walk, and then bring him back a year later? It doesn't happen very often, so the fact that they did it with Chung says a lot about BB and Caserio liking his character.

He's a veteran, he plays special teams, he provides depth at a position of need, and he's still only 26 years old. It's not a bad signing at all.

I'm interested in seeing how this plays out.

I'm not sure about the Patrick Chung in the box safety idea. BB often talks about how safeties need to be able to play both SS and FS as teams will scheme to take advantage of the SS in the pass. Perhaps he could play in some situational downs. Who knows? :confused2:

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes