PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Patriots Sign WR Brandon LaFell to 3-year contract

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is going to end up being a waste of money. Oh well.

I'm shocked by your negative reaction, it's so unlike you.

so is Lafell better than Sanders? It appears both Denver and NE wanted Lafell, but NE got to him first.

so is Lafell better than Sanders? It appears both Denver and NE wanted Lafell, but NE got to him first.
I'm not sure I would go with better but different and more in line with what the Patriots needed; size at WR.

I only like the signing if there is an out to that contract after one year, or very minimal dead money the next 2 years in case he doesn't work out. If he can produce like Patten/Givens did outside he's worth keeping around. Not numbers wise but in terms of being a reliable target, since he won't see near the same targets with a healthy Gronk/Edelman/Dobson and MAYBE Amendola.

Would still have rather given this contract to Nicks since he signed for 3.5M, or even the one year prove it deal. Who knows though maybe Lafell really proves to bolster our RZ offense, something we've really needed.

This also creates great competitor for 2015. I have a feeling that if the youngsters progress, only one of Amendola and LaFell will be here for 2015. If they don't progress, one or more of them will be gone.

I forsee cutdowns to 53 being brutal this year with all the talent we are bringing in.

FYI - With Browner being suspended the first 4 games and Gronk likely going on PUP, the cutdowns will be to 55.

Ok, with all these signings, how much $$ do we have left?

Without knowing the details of Browner, Lafell, and Edelman signings no one can answer to Patriots salary cap space questions
At minimum we need 5-6m to sign Draft picks, no?
That is a fallacy repeated by lazy or uninformed beat writers.

Whenever you hear/read reports that the Pats will need 5 million to sign their 2014 draft class please first review » Over the Cap- 2014 NFL Draft Rookie Pool Allocations
OvertheCap.Com's 2014 rookie pool estimates and
AdamJT13: The rookie pool and the salary cap

Adamjt13's blog post on the rookie pool which I consider the best explanation of how the rookie pool works within the salary cap.

Kinda surprising to see this team shell out 3+ a year, for a sub par #2 WR who's previous team which has no WR's at all just let him walk.

Don't like this one at all.

After the initial 1 year 12 million deal for Revis, I am stunned that anyone who would comment on a contract without knowing its details.

Quoting Mike Reiss:
"This is one reason why football consumers should always demand/seek deeper analysis of contract information once the official contract becomes available (it sometimes takes a few days after the initial agreement is announced). Many of the initial reported numbers are either inflated by agents to make them look better, or simply don’t go into enough detail to provide important context."

Quick-hit thoughts around NFL & Patriots - New England Patriots Blog - ESPN Boston

i like a lot this signing

Brandon: wellcome to the New England Patriots !!!

No, I do not know that for fact. I was just averaging it out, but still if there was "as much interest" for his services as stated previously rest assured we over payed to get him.

Personally, given the Patriots' tendency to backload contracts and agents' tendency to puff up numbers I would not use average per year. Then again, I wait until the details of a contract are known before commenting on it.

Personally, given the Patriots' tendency to backload contracts and agents' tendency to puff up numbers I would not use average per year. Then again, I wait until the details of a contract are known before commenting on it.
Hey amatuers.....

Attachments

• knows his ****.jpg
    knows his ****.jpg
    5.4 KB · Views: 67
This seems like a perfectly reasonable signing that does what needed doing: adds a big, physical, durable veteran receiver to a corps that was high on slot guys, injury risks and raw potential.

Nope, he's not a "legit #1 WR," nor is any other player on the team. But surely nobody expected they'd sign a player like that, given cap limitations and the fact that there wasn't a single #1 "impact" receiver on the FA market this year? (I'd argue that Edelman was the most valuable WR on the market for the Patriots, and they already signed him.)

So now they have 3 versatile vets in Edelman, Amendola and LaFell, and 4 intriguing but raw young players in Dobson, Thompkins, Boyce and Harrison. A pretty pedestrian group, but with a good year from one of the young guys it should work fine. The positions that still WON'T work:

Center
Defensive tackle*
Tight end
Coverage LB
Defensive End #3

*pending the wildcard of Vince Wifork

Amendola has to make it. They are stuck with him (at least for 2014) It's more expensive to let him go then to keep him.
That's not true because he could be designated a "Post June 1" cut and split the cap hit. The total over two years would be slightly more than the one year to keep him but each year would be about half.

On top of that - and I don't know this to be true - Ben Volin said there's offset language so if he were released and signed elsewhere up to $2M would go away from our cap hit. Just disappear (to be replaced by the signing team).

I'm not anti Amendola but it appeared that things didn't go well with him and Brady and with all the WR being brought in, I am reading that as a possibility.

The positions that still WON'T work:

Center
Defensive tackle*
Tight end
Coverage LB
Defensive End #3

*pending the wildcard of Vince Wifork

Agree with these except possibly :

DT. We may just need one depth guy if they like Siliga and if Armstead is expected back. Siliga, Kelly, Armstead, Chris Jones could be OK.

Center. I think we'll bring one in but whether it's Cave at Center or Connelly moving to Center with Barker, Klein or Cannon, there's some young guys they kept around who they may like.

Center. I think we'll bring one in but whether it's Cave at Center or Connelly moving to Center with Barker, Klein or Cannon, there's some young guys they kept around who they may like.

If they feel good about Connelly at center, I think guard is an easier position to fill in this year's draft. (Prepare for the board to lose its mind when the Pats "reach" for Joel Bitonio in round 2!)

Really, most teams? At a minimum, that is 17 teams with legit WR1s, although the tone of your post would indicate more. Half sounds about right to me, off the top of my head. Remember, this is 2014, so Steve Smith doesn't count. I also assume you aren't counting the likes of Stevie Johnson and Torrey Smith.

You don't like the LaFell signing but you are really excited about the prospect of signing Britt? He has been money for the Titans the past two years. My larger point about the Pats was that Gronk is their number one WR. If he is healthy, they will be fine. Which WR1 did you want them to sign this offseason? My larger point about Deus is that you are not happy unless you are whining like a little B. You think you are always the smartest person in the room (any room, I'm sure, not just your home, all day and night, Patsfans.com). You are not.

1.) Read my takes before commenting on them. That'll help. Since about the "worst" thing that I posted regarding LaFell was that he was "meh", and since I didn't offer anything approaching a ringing endorsement of Britt beyond bringing him in for a look to see whether or not he's shot, you might have avoided making unnecessary personal attacks in your post.

2.)

Clear #1 types for their teams:
DeSean Jackson
Dez Bryant
Jordy Nelson
Brandon Marshall/Alshon Jeffery
Calvin Johnson
Julio Jones/Roddy White
Vincent Jackson
Percy Harvin
Michael Crabtree/Anquan Boldin
Larry Fitzgerald
Dwayne Bowe
Demaryius Thomas
Reggie Wayne
Andre Johnson
Kendall Wright
Josh Gordon
Antonio Brown
A.J. Green
18 teams, 21 players

Arguable #1 types
Victor Cruz
Marques Colston
Justin Blackmon
Stevie Johnson
Pierre Garçon

So, at least 18 teams have obvious WR1s (I may have missed one), and another 6 have players who are at least arguable, based on history (i.e. Colston) or clear demonstration of WR1 level talent (Blackmon/Allen). Whether you 'admit' them to the WR1 club or not, they are clearly players one could reasonably argue as belonging.

And, while I didn't include declining WR1s like Steve Smith and Greg Jennings, and I didn't include the rising, and obviously talented Patterson, or the enigmatic, though productive Mike Wallace, yes, Stevie Johnson is at least arguably a WR1.

That takes you to a position where you're looking at at least 18-24 teams with legit WR1s. That would be most.

1.) Read my takes before commenting on them. That'll help. Since about the "worst" thing that I posted regarding LaFell was that he was "meh", and since I didn't offer anything approaching a ringing endorsement of Britt beyond bringing him in for a look to see whether or not he's shot, you might have avoided making unnecessary personal attacks in your post.

2.)

Clear #1 types for their teams:
DeSean Jackson
Dez Bryant

Jordy Nelson
Brandon Marshall/Alshon Jeffery
Calvin Johnson

Julio Jones/Roddy White
Vincent Jackson
Percy Harvin
Michael Crabtree/Anquan Boldin
Larry Fitzgerald
Dwayne Bowe
Demaryius Thomas
Reggie Wayne
Andre Johnson
Kendall Wright
Josh Gordon
Antonio Brown
A.J. Green
18 teams, 21 players

Arguable #1 types
Victor Cruz
Marques Colston
Justin Blackmon
Stevie Johnson
Pierre Garçon

So, at least 18 teams have obvious WR1s (I may have missed one), and another 6 have players who are at least arguable, based on history (i.e. Colston) or clear demonstration of WR1 level talent (Blackmon/Allen). Whether you 'admit' them to the WR1 club or not, they are clearly players one could reasonably argue as belonging.

And, while I didn't include declining WR1s like Steve Smith and Greg Jennings, and I didn't include the rising, and obviously talented Patterson, or the enigmatic, though productive Mike Wallace, yes, Stevie Johnson is at least arguably a WR1.

That takes you to a position where you're looking at at least 18-24 teams with legit WR1s. That would be most.
I bolded the ones who are "special talents" (skipped Wayne due to age), the rest are #1 WR due to convenience (get the ball a lot). We don't have the special talent types but our WR could become comparable to the rest (not there yet, Dobson needs experience and health, Edelman needs more than one year, we'll see about the rest).

Your definition of "WR1" is generous IMO.

FYI - With Browner being suspended the first 4 games and Gronk likely going on PUP, the cutdowns will be to 55.

They didn't PUP GRONK last year, so it's not at all a given that it will happen this year.

Why is Gronk already "likely going to PUP" ? He needs a perfect timeline but it's clear that barring setbacks he can be back Week 1.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes