PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Patriots Sign WR Brandon LaFell to 3-year contract

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah how is Gronk likely going to go on PUP? He's already working out and walking without a limp what...4-5 months before he needs to be ready for any kind of practice?

Why is Gronk already "likely going to PUP" ? He needs a perfect timeline but it's clear that barring setbacks he can be back Week 1.

You do realize, we are talking about Gronk, right? :D Likely PUP or week 3-4 start imo.

That takes you to a position where you're looking at at least 18-24 teams with legit WR1s. That would be most.

OK, let's go with your list and ask the key question from the Patriots' perspective: how do you get a receiver like that?

Of the 26 players you identified as maybe, possibly qualifying as legit #1 WRs, only 4 have ever changed teams. That includes problem-child types like Brandon Marshall and Vincent Jackson. So signing a proven #1 WR just doesn't look like a realistic option.

That leaves the draft. About half of the players (14) were selected in round 1. That's 14 #1 WRs out of 41 WRs chosen in round 1 over the last decade. Ouch.* Worst yet, most of the really top talents went in the top 10, far out of the Patriots' reach.

It looks to me like the only recipe for the Pats' landing a super-stud WR is simply "get lucky."

*EDIT: Over the same time period, the Pats are at 60-70% in drafting 1st-rounders who grade out among the top 26 at their positions.

1.) Read my takes before commenting on them. That'll help. Since about the "worst" thing that I posted regarding LaFell was that he was "meh", and since I didn't offer anything approaching a ringing endorsement of Britt beyond bringing him in for a look to see whether or not he's shot, you might have avoided making unnecessary personal attacks in your post.

2.)

Clear #1 types for their teams:
DeSean Jackson
Dez Bryant
Jordy Nelson
Brandon Marshall/Alshon Jeffery
Calvin Johnson
Julio Jones/Roddy White
Vincent Jackson
Percy Harvin
Michael Crabtree/Anquan Boldin
Larry Fitzgerald
Dwayne Bowe
Demaryius Thomas
Reggie Wayne
Andre Johnson
Kendall Wright
Josh Gordon
Antonio Brown
A.J. Green
18 teams, 21 players

Arguable #1 types
Victor Cruz
Marques Colston
Justin Blackmon
Stevie Johnson
Pierre Garçon

So, at least 18 teams have obvious WR1s (I may have missed one), and another 6 have players who are at least arguable, based on history (i.e. Colston) or clear demonstration of WR1 level talent (Blackmon/Allen). Whether you 'admit' them to the WR1 club or not, they are clearly players one could reasonably argue as belonging.

And, while I didn't include declining WR1s like Steve Smith and Greg Jennings, and I didn't include the rising, and obviously talented Patterson, or the enigmatic, though productive Mike Wallace, yes, Stevie Johnson is at least arguably a WR1.

That takes you to a position where you're looking at at least 18-24 teams with legit WR1s. That would be most.

Harvin, Wright, Bowe do not belong on that list. Its more like 15

This is one of those signings I'm going to just wait and see on. Not going to condemn it,not going to praise it just yet.

He has flashed talent and had a few big games in his career. He played with an unconventional QB who was just starting to read the defenses.

The difference for Lafell will be glaring regarding the QBs. Timing and precision vs chaos. It's almost a read and react offensively in Carolina. Newton breaks out of the pocket after extending the play and the receivers adjust to that. Here he is going to have to show he can run the routes and stay the course.

I've not seen Lafell can do this or not. We will find out a lot about this signing in the months to come. I'm hoping for a steal myself.

Btw, I see some saying since they missed out on Steve Smith this is the backup plan. I think once Edelman was resigned SS became a mute point. I believe Smith was an emergency signing incase Edelman left. If Smith would of been in Foxboro on Friday and signed on the cheap we may not have seen the Edelman signing Saturday via Welker/Amendola.

I would bring in Britt on a one year deal to re-establish himself but the injury bug is still his nemesis along with his attitude but we dealt with attitudes in the past.

Hicks was my other choice for a single year reload.

Why sign LaFell for that money? I'd much rather go after James Jones.

Harvin, Wright, Bowe do not belong on that list. Its more like 15

Harvin is borderline, Bowe has shown he is capable in the past to be considered a 1 but hasn't done so with any consistency.

Guys I would add to the convo: Pierre Garcon most certainly is a number one receiver. I would say the same for Crabtree if he wasn't originally listed, I don't remember.

Two guys that will be added to the list of #1s next season: Michael Floyd and TY Hilton.

Dobson's drops are the most overrated thing talked about on this board. He had a lot of drops in his few games and he was fine after that. His reputation has been built on his first game.

False

Dobson caught 26 (or 70%) of his total 37 receptions in his first 8 games. 8 games (or 50%) is not a few. He also had most of his drops in these 8 games.
https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2013/10/30/signature-stats-drop-rate/

Dobson had only 11 more receptions though missing 4 of the last 8 games. It remains to be seen if his stone hands are gone.

Why sign LaFell for that money? I'd much rather go after James Jones.

Ohh good another one who knows the exact contract details. Please what are the guarantees and how does the contract brake down? I don't think the first guy I asked in this thread could answer and since this contract is so bad you must know something.

I'll wait for the answer.

P.S. Never thought i'd see the day pats fans complain about adding 6-2, 6-3 targets for Brady. I guess here we are.

Your definition of "WR1" is generous IMO.

Wayne had 106 cattches for over 1300 yards in his last full season, the year before this past one, and was on pace for more than 70 catches and more than 1100 yards before getting injured this past year. Antonio Brown's been to the Pro Bowl for 2 of the last 3 seasons and just came up one yard shy of 1500 yards receiving this past year. It's not exactly a surprise that we don't agree on who's a WR1 when you're excluding multi-time Pro Bowlers, and All-Pros, from being WR1s.

False

Dobson caught 26 (or 70%) of his total 37 receptions in his first 8 games. 8 games (or 50%) is not a few. He also had most of his drops in these 8 games.
https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2013/10/30/signature-stats-drop-rate/

Dobson had only 11 more receptions though missing 4 of the last 8 games. It remains to be seen if his stone hands are gone.

Ummm.... You do realize that every target he didn't catch isn't a drop don't you? If he is targeted and a defender breaks up the pass or Brady over throws him, now we are going to count them as drops?

Dobson was credited with eight drops in the season with four of them coming in his first game as pro.

Also, his drop in receptions down the stretch has to do with him playing with a broken foot and not his hands. Dobson could barely run after he broke his foot and he couldn't get open and/or get to the spot where Brady was expecting him.

All the evidence points to his drop rate is skewed by one game. His "hands of stone" rap is still overrated and you have shown nothing to prove otherwise.

BTW, this is why I hate PFF. No analysis behind their assertions. from the article you posted:

A special mention to Hopkins who does lead all rookies by virtue of his sure-handedness. That keeps him above Keenan Allen (one drop on 27 catchable balls), while the only other rookies to feature on the list find themselves in the bottom 22. Robert Woods has three drops and 22 catches, while Marlon Brown has the same number of drops and one fewer reception. Neither is as bad as Ace Sanders (20% of catchable balls dropped) or both Tavon Austin and Kenbrell Thompkins who are hovering around the 14% mark. Of course neither is as bad as Aaron Dobson who, with eight drops and 26 catches, has the second-worst catch rate of all receivers. Poor Tom Terrific.

But yet no mention of the fact that four of the drops happened in his first game of his career or the fact that he was playing with a stress fracture in his foot for most of the second half of the year.

OK, let's go with your list and ask the key question from the Patriots' perspective: how do you get a receiver like that?

How many of those guys came into the NFL as top WRs? Jordy Nelson had 300+ yards receiving his first 2 years, and didn't top 600 yards until his 4th year. Kendall Wright, Alshon Jeffery and Josh Gordon took huge 2nd year jumps. Michael Crabtree was a top 10 pick, and he's never been a true #1 receiver. Half the guys on that list weren't drafted as clear #1 WRs, but to complement existing talent, and grew into their present roles.

It looks to me like the only recipe for the Pats' landing a super-stud WR is simply "get lucky."

Or be patient, and give your young talent a chance to develop. That would be a pleasant change.

Ohh good another one who knows the exact contract details. Please what are the guarantees and how does the contract brake down? I don't think the first guy I asked in this thread could answer and since this contract is so bad you must know something.

I'll wait for the answer.

P.S. Never thought i'd see the day pats fans complain about adding 6-2, 6-3 targets for Brady. I guess here we are.

The guy's a borderline scrub with bad hands, but I shouldn't want the Pats to go after a much better player because we might have gotten a really good deal on the scrub :rolleyes:

The guy's a borderline scrub with bad hands, but I shouldn't want the Pats to go after a much better player because we might have gotten a really good deal on the scrub :rolleyes:

Thats what i thought no idea about contract details but yet able to judge it was a bad deal. Got ya.

Or be patient, and give your young talent a chance to develop. That would be a pleasant change.

No argument here. As I said earlier, they have 4 intriguing young WRs, and I'm expecting at least one of them to show they're moving forward this year.

As for the "pleasant change" comment, do you think Brandon Tate or Taylor Price would have developed into starters here given the proper chance? They did show patience with Edelman, who started from square one with no WR skills, and it did pay off.

Of the 26 players you identified as maybe, possibly qualifying as legit #1 WRs, only 4 have ever changed teams. That includes problem-child types like Brandon Marshall and Vincent Jackson. So signing a proven #1 WR just doesn't look like a realistic option.

That leaves the draft. About half of the players (14) were selected in round 1. That's 14 #1 WRs out of 41 WRs chosen in round 1 over the last decade. Ouch.* Worst yet, most of the really top talents went in the top 10, far out of the Patriots' reach.

*EDIT: Over the same time period, the Pats are at 60-70% in drafting 1st-rounders who grade out among the top 26 at their positions.

You have to draft them. Over the years, the Patriots have, relatively speaking, ignored the position in the draft. You pointed out that about half the list is from round one. Because many feel that WR is second only to QB in terms of top round bust rate, Bill may feel that it's not worth the investment capital to draft them high. His conversation with Dimitroff certainly makes it seem as if that could be the case.

BB's drafted 12 TEs in his Patriots tenure, and 2 of them have been first rounders. He's only drafted 11 wide receivers, and none of them have been first rounders.*

DraftHistory.com

Teams can certainly win without true WR1s. It's just not an optimal situation when you're a passing team.

*Edelman's not on the DraftHistory list as a WR, but Slater is. I figure that evens out.

Harvin is borderline, Bowe has shown he is capable in the past to be considered a 1 but hasn't done so with any consistency.
We are talking about #1 WRs. Harvin has never had 1000 yards. Bowe has been under 700 the last 2.
We arent talking about a guy who could have a good year, but guys that are solid reliable #1 options.

Guys I would add to the convo: Pierre Garcon most certainly is a number one receiver. I would say the same for Crabtree if he wasn't originally listed, I don't remember.
Garcon had a good 2013 statistically, but never even resembled a #1 before that so I'd say the jury is out. Crabtree has 1 1000 yard season in 5 years. Not the defintion of #1 I have.

Two guys that will be added to the list of #1s next season: Michael Floyd and TY Hilton.
Time will tell on these guys.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand