PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Patriots trade for WR Brandin Cooks (NO BUTLER INVOLVED). Gave up 1st & 3rd rounder for Cooks + 4th

Status
Not open for further replies.
You know he played at Oregon St. right ? Sure, it's not freezing cold but it gets cold, windy and very rainy.

Don't try so hard, we got a great player for 2 years then we'll see. Don't fight it.

I think there is something to this indoor vs. outdoor production variance from cooks.

Part of it is definitely brees and part of it is play calling, but for the most part cooks just did not execute outdoors.

Probably among the first things bb needs to fix with cooks.

I think there is something to this indoor vs. outdoor production variance from cooks.

Part of it is definitely brees and part of it is play calling, but for the most part cooks just did not execute outdoors.

Probably among the first things bb needs to fix with cooks.
SB52 is in a dome, so its all good!

Belichick saw how badly our offense stalled when the Falcons mediocre defense played us in Man Coverage.

No Gronk = No one that can punish teams for playing Man coverage.

We kind of got exposed in that 1st half of the Falcons game. Cooks will bring another dimension to our offense.

I think he will be used differently in New England.
They will get him the ball early on short throws, screens, slants, end-arounds etc and let him get YAC.
He is a home run threat, contests throws well and a former Biletnikoff Award winner.
He has already proven that he can play in the NFL and probably has another level of production to reach simply by being in the Patriots offense. The Patriots have had a real good look at Cooks and I think the price reflects how well they think he can integrate into this offense.

Watching higglights he seems like he can split double teams and get open deep with his speed. Could we see a return to the moss days with cooks/hogan?

Bill may have fell in love with the deep ball again after watching Hogan. What do you know when brady isnt throwing to stone hands slater or 5'9 guys deep he still can hit on them

Kontra - So, now you are modifying your argument. You originally stated that it was just injuries to both of them in 2 of the last 4 years.. Now, you're claiming injury in 2015 and lack of depth in 2013 to CYA.

Patriots trade for WR Brandin Cooks (NO BUTLER INVOLVED). Gave up 1st & 3rd rounder for Cooks + 4th

Julian Edelman injury history and analysis
Danny Amendola injury history and analysis

Danny Amendola: Game Logs at NFL.com
Julian Edelman: Game Logs at NFL.com

Fact is that you claimed Amendola and Edelman being injured was the reason they lost in 2013. Reality is that only Amendola was injured in 2013 and it affected only 1 game.. The game against the Jets where the Pats lost.

The fact that you can't even admit that the O-line injury mess was a bigger issue in 2015 than Amendola and Edelman being out shows how out of touch you are on the subject. A healthy O-line makes it moot who is catching the ball from Brady.

The team made the move for Hogan to replace LaFell. You know, LaFell. The guy who had ALSO been injured at the end of the 2015 season. Mitchell was brought in to push Dobson. Mitchell outplayed Dobson and Dobson was sent packing in TC.

So, you can spin your claims all you want.. Your original post was erroneous and you had to backtrack and spin to CYA because you were wrong and couldn't admit it..
I'm doing nothing of the sort. The Pats had depth issues after Amendola and Edelman in 2013. As you astutely point out, the team signed LaFell in 2014 due to that very fact. Thanks for helping my argument. In 2015, Edelman went down and Amendola nursed nagging injuries again. The result? No quick outlets for Brady and a playoff exit. Neither guy has been durable throughout their career and if you want to press that issue then I'll be more than happy to completely take you apart there as well. The Cooks move was a sound one as two of New England's top guys in the receiving corps have shown that the ability for them to stay healthy is a hit or miss proposition. Further, the team didn't even have to give up Butler either. That you're trying to poo-poo this trade is absolutely beyond me and reeks of someone simply looking for an argument. My advice to you is to look for a better one because I'm handing you your ass on a silver platter with a minimum effort.

Some people forget that despite the 3 years of game film, BB & company got an intimate, first-hand look @ Cooks during those Pats-Saints joint practices, so BB is sold that this is the guy. If we're just talkin' Pats, he reminds me of an Edelman-Branch hybrid with home-run ability/ speed. He is literally the PERFECT WR for this offense. This is not gonna be good for ANY opponent:D.

Go back the last 5 drafts, Players the Pats have picked between 32 and 72:

Ras-I Dowling
Shane Vereen

Tavon Wilson

Jamie Collins
Aaron Dobson

Dominique Easley
Jimmy Garoppolo

Malcom Brown
Jordan Richards

Cyrus Jones.

Of the 10 players, 3 contributed significantly, a fourth will likely yield a nice trade or will contribute hugely.

And maybe Cyrus Jones will come around. But how many years do you actually get out of a draft pick, even one this high? How many years are developmental (Cyrus Jones, Shane Vereen)?

How many players there do you think added, or will add, more to the Pats than Cooks is likely to add?

He's a 1st-level NFL receiver who is dirt cheap for the next two years, given his skill level, and has had two 1100+ yard seasons in a row on a team that spreads the ball around.

I get what you're saying here, but come on, it's very likely the Pats will need a separation receiver, a grade A receiver, in the next couple of years. Amendola is a spot player now, Edelman has been getting a lot of dings, Mitchell is still raw (though promising), and Hogan is what he is, which is pretty good as long as he's not the primary target.

The Patriots this year had several 1st rounders - Cooper, Long, McClellin, Floyd, none of whom gave their teams as much as Cook has produced (except maybe Long). These were top-half of the first round picks. Cooper was "can't miss."

I like guys who have shown they can play when it matters and with the big boys.

And I don't think Jimmy G is going to the 12th pick. I think the Pats want #1+ (and the Browns should do it).

Easley shouldn't be on that list, he was picked 29th.

You should actually start following what happens on the field a bit closer.

Ryan is at his best inside because it fits his skillset perfectly. Whenever he played outside it was mostly as part of double coverage where he was responsible for underneath stuff. But those were situational assignments and also the times he struggled the most.

But then again I am talking to the person who regularly wanted to get rid of Amendola so I guess I shouldn't expect too much insight.

If you seriously wanna argue that Ryan is not an inside CB you gonna have to go through Howe, Giardi, Curran, Reiss and all other beat reporters.
Yes because my opinions on Amendola in 2013 are certainly relevant today. I think Amendola has been a very solid and clutch player for this team. However, what people said he would be in 2013 he never was and he was not worth what we signed him him which is proven in that has had to restructure 2 years in a row and counting. So nothing I said back then was unmerited.

As far as the year 2017 goes, I never said Ryan didn't play in the slot, but he also played outside against many #1 WRs. That is not debatable. He performed better insider as well, but to suggest that the Patriots couldn't have viewed Gilmore as a replacement because their skill sets are so different is not true at all. The Patriots could put Butler in the slot as they did against Gabriel in the super bowl. Or they could intend to us Rowe who many viewed as a hybrid predraft inside more often. The point is they let a CB leave that cost $10m per season and signed a better CB for $13m per.

Well, Zoo, did he? ;)

My sources tell me Roger slept like a lamb that night. Apparently he used his quick witted pea brain to defuse a disagreement between his mystery guest and himself. Goodell was quoted as saying, "alright..ok...you can take the trophy home tonight but you have to have it back to the league offices first thing in the morning". Goodell later said "suspending Tom Brady 4 games for laughing on the sideline during the butt fumble would be a difficult frame job. Much more difficult than the idea you and the other 29 had a couple of years ago". Later that evening, the mystery guest was spotted leaving the establishment a little tipsy. Numerous witnesses spotted him sticking his head through the sunroof on 5th avenue yelling out words that really did not make sense. A group crossing the street at a red light took the photo below and claim they clearly heard the man mumble he was sleeping with the Lombardi tonight. Finally I get to sleep with the Lombardi.

0x600.jpg

Its about getting a guy who can beat man coverage other than edelman and gronk. Teams already cant cover edelman and gronk. Now add cooks to that equation and someone is going to have a really good matchup.

Normally this is a trade the patriots make from the other side. Trade a WR for a 1st rounder. An unusual move. Not saying its wrong. Probably BB saw during the superbowl when the offense couldnt get anyone open for most of the early part of the game.

BLAST from the past (2014)

perhaps this is why Cooks felt he wasn't being used to his full potential in NOLA

I DID, but he still chose to go with Cooks. We just disagreed, and he has the final say. First time ever, btw. ;)

I'm sick of your attitude toward cooks. We get a 23 year old cost controlled superstar player to help our 40 year old QB, and all you do is complain?

You have no basis for disagreeing with this move.

I'm sick of your attitude toward cooks. We get a 23 year old cost controlled superstar player to help our 40 year old QB, and all you do is complain?

You have no basis for disagreeing with this move.
I'm not sure exactly how to respond to this ridiculous post, except to say. "OK tough guy, but your mom just called and it's time for your nap". ;) :rolleyes:

I'm not sure exactly how to respond to this ridiculous post, except to say. "OK tough guy, but your mom just called and it's time for your nap". ;) :rolleyes:

Figured this would be your response. I actually like you and have been following your posts for years, but the way you kept on being negative toward this cooks trade really got to me. You've been around for so long, how come you don't trust in BB with this move?

Ps: I do need a nap because I work straight midnights.

Jon Robinson said they didnt offer pick #18.

Last edited:
I am not sure what is not to like with a guy who is just 23 years old, who can play all of our WR spots, who has speed and quickness unlike anything we have seen at the WR spot in quite some time and who has already proven himself to be an excellent NFL player.

Figured this would be your response. I actually like you and have been following your posts for years, but the way you kept on being negative toward this cooks trade really got to me. You've been around for so long, how come you don't trust in BB with this move?

Ps: I do need a nap because I work straight midnights.
Listen, if you had comprehended the point of my posts you would have decerned that my concerns were NOT about the player. I've acknowledged several times that adding the PLAYER is a good thing, though how much of a good thing is in question. But more on that later.

My major complaint and really the only one is whether the addition of Cooks is worth the assets you gave up for what is likely a 2 year rental. Did the offense get THAT much better vs the potential loss of that first round pick to the defense. We had the 2nd best offense in the league last season. How much better can it get? If it averages over 36-40 ppg and Cooks is a significant contributor, then I will stand corrected. But if it only averages a couple of points better, even if Cooks puts up numbers then I will be vindicated, especially if the defense is worse.

Then we have the other questions that can only be answered on the field next fall. Will he be a distraction when he isn't a focus of offense that week? Can he run the inside routes that are featured in THIS offense? Can he make someone miss for YAC (something I haven't seen in his highlight reels)? And a big one, what will happen to him when the weather turns bad?

These are all legitimate questions that I'm sure you will want answered as well. Hopefully they will be answered positively, but at this point all we can do is ask them and hope for the best.

Perhaps my concern about giving up our glorified 2nd round pick has been exacerbated by that fact that if the draft order stands now, the Pats will have nothing to show for their first round selections in 3 out of the last 4 drafts (Easley, MBrown, Goodell, and traded). EVENTUALLY that is going to take its toll, especially when you are drafting at the end of the round every year.

BTW- I have overall faith in BB, but that doesn't mean I have to agree with everything he does. I've often been accused of being a homer. BB essentially traded our first round pick for a WR. That is something he's never done before in 17 years and something I never thought he woud do. ESPECIALLY for a guy who is likely a 2 year rental.

My feelings about WR's in general have been made plain over the years, and certainly they've been backed up by the WR corps we've won the last 2 superbowls with.

At any rate, I'm glad you enjoyed your nap, and I hope I've made my position clearer to you

Status
Not open for further replies.

Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick