PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Pats 1 for 6 on 3rd/4th and 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Right; but I bet those audibles usually change one pass play to another, or a pass play to a running play, or a running play to a pass play. I'd be surprised if Brady ever audibles out of an A-gap run and into a C-gap run, for example.
I still blame Skippy first, then Bill, then Brady, then the OL, then the RB.
Then you have no idea what you are talking about. Of course run play audibles can change the point of attack. So you lose your bet.

Except that Brady has said the QB sneak is in play but they haven't gotten the right look.

Yeah, there are specific defensive alignments--and specific linemen--that Brady won't run the sneak against. The sneak is only a good call if he can get in behind the center or guard, drive his legs, and basically fall forward for the first. If teams play that striaght up he just won't run it because the odds of it being successful aren't very good.

Brady doesn't have such a high conversion rate because it's an unstoppable play. He has such a high conversion rate because he only runs it when it's overwhelmingly likely to work. And he's been so successful doing it that teams gameplan against it more than they used to.

Right; but I bet those audibles usually change one pass play to another, or a pass play to a running play, or a running play to a pass play. I'd be surprised if Brady ever audibles out of an A-gap run and into a C-gap run, for example.
I still blame Skippy first, then Bill, then Brady, then the OL, then the RB.

It's pretty standard for QBs to audible to change the direction of runs. I'm sure there are some who don't have that authority, but it's probably the same guys who don't have the authority to adjust calls at the line at all.

That's why you rarely see RBs run directly into overload blitzes in the NFL. Any competent QB will audible out of that and take advantage of the numbers on the other side. Which is why you don't see a ton of overload blitzes in general.

On the season so far, the Pats have converted 42.5% of their 3rd down situations, good for 9th best in the league. Also 77% of the Pats first downs have been gained on 1st and 2nd down plays. I haven't run the entire chart yet, but that seems likely to be near the top of the league.

They should just let Alan Branch line up under center and sneak it. 645 pounds comin at ya between him and Andrews falling forward.

Brady has clearly audibled from run to run throughout his career. So if you're going to blame McDaniels, you should also blame Brady for not seeing it at the line of scrimmage.
I do blame Brady, less so than Skippy & Bill, but more so than the OL & RBs.

I do blame Brady, less so than Skippy & Bill, but more so than the OL & RBs.
Which is a dumb position to hold because he reason why the run play failed is particularly because of the terrible run blocking. The only other step you can take is to completely abandon the run altogether.

I like Andrews a lot, but I suspect his size has taken this play out of TB's audible set when TB looks down at the NT over Andrews. And that the pats were previously almost 100% using it before may mean the Ds are lining up to stop that first on third-1. .

Size has nothing to do with it at all. Last two long-term starting centers for the Patriots:

Koppen:

Height: 6025
Weight: 297
40 Yrd Dash: 5.28
20 Yrd Dash: 3.02
10 Yrd Dash: 1.80
225 Lb. Bench Reps: 27
Vertical Jump: 28 1/2
Broad Jump: 08'05"
20 Yrd Shuttle: 4.56
3-Cone Drill: 8.26

Andrews:

Height: 6021
Weight: 295
40 Yrd Dash: 5.12
20 Yrd Dash: 2.87
10 Yrd Dash: 1.71
225 Lb. Bench Reps: 27
Vertical Jump: 30
Broad Jump: 09'00"
20 Yrd Shuttle: 4.78
3-Cone Drill: 8.12

Other than Koppen and Andrews, we had Wendell (6'2, 286 coming out of college), and Stork, who was the only bigger center, but couldn't stay healthy. Yet the Brady sneak has been a trademark for most of his career. He's mentioned that this year defenses are specifically lining up to take away that play, so it's not efficient to call it.

...He's mentioned that this year defenses are specifically lining up to take away that play, so it's not efficient to call it.
OK…then why send a RB straight up the middle into the teeth of that very same defense?

4 words: Julian Edelman.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/8: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 5/7: News and Notes
What Did Tom Brady Say During His Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Drew Bledsoe Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast? Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Belichick Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
Monday Patriots Notebook 5/6: News and Notes
Tom Brady Sustains, Dishes Some Big Hits on Netflix Roast Special
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Back