PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Polian takes swipe at Pats...

Status
Not open for further replies.
I like what Jason Whitlock said about enduring 20 minutes of foreplay with Beyonce and finishing the job instead of calling on Curtis Painter. Although I would choose Keeley Hazel or Rachel Weisz personally.

I don't understand this thinking at all. None of this stuff matters? Super Bowls don't "matter" either. Championship titles don't affect us except for bragging rights in a bar. To the extent sports matter, something like 19-0 matters a lot. Some team wins a Super Bowl every year--theoretically, the team that wins the Super Bowl could suck.

I agree completely. Well said.

Last edited:
Re: Polian takes swipe at pats..

Several comments :

1) The Colts going 16-0 wouldn't have been a historical achievment because it's already been done.

2) The Colts' consecutive regular season record is stupid as they lost a playoff game in the middle of it. The Patriots didn't lost in the middle of their 21 in a row in the regular season.

3) The Colts haven't won the most games this decade - the Patriots have.

Amen, having lost in the middle has been way overlooked. I was getting ready for them to lose on a thursday night game and have the media talk about their winning streak on sundays and mondays. Not only that, but scheduling also plays a part in wins during the decade, as well as injuries, and resting of players.

19-0 means nothing. "Undefeated" is what matters, not the game numbers. That's why 17-0 is still pointed to, and not 18-1.

But, if 16-0 didn't matter, or only made you go "hmmmm", Colts fans wouldn't be looking for the tar and feathers right now.

They're upset because they were denied the chance at 19-0 or an undefeated FULL (not just regular) season. And yes, the actual numbers mean nothing, but complete perfection is the touchstone.

They could care less about TYING what the Pats already were the first to do. 16-0 in 2009 by itself would make them Buzz Aldrin, not Neil Armstrong. Or Larry Doby instead of Jackie Robinson. Can you tell me the SECOND Amercian woman in space after Sally Ride without Googling it? 19-0 (or the perfect season) would be remembered for decades (just ask Don Shula). 16-0 without the SB win this year would be a big woop.

Last edited:
My reply to Polian

Mr Polian, I completely understand your point that winning the Super Bowl is more important than a perfect record. And the fact that the Colts have struggled so mightily in the playoffs makes your decision quite understandable. However, the Patriots have reached the pinnacle and experienced the Super Bowl 5, yes 5 times in the last 13 years with 3 victories. At this point, the desire to achieve what no other team has achieved would have been the perfect ending to an incredible decade. If the Colts win 2 more Super Bowls in 4 more appearances you might then understand the Patriots.

I've got a good sense of humor Mo and appreciated the chuckle.
Cheers.

Well, Bill Polian, at least we don't have a team that is scared to achieve greatness.

Well, Bill Polian, at least we don't have a team that is scared to achieve greatness.

No...they achieve greatness in 1 and done in the playoff's each year....

Why does consecutive regular season games matter? What's the significance of that? Really.

In baseball it matters for obvious reasons. Because there are no losses when that record is set. But in football, the record is meaningless if you lost a playoff game in the midst of setting the record.

It matters in football for the same reasons it matters in baseball. And who said a damn thing about the play-offs.. No one but you.

If the record was that meaningless, then they wouldn't bother to track it. Seriously people. You really need to stop and think.

As a guy who remembers the Steve Grogan/John Hannah/Russ Francis days, I love you guys calling me a band wagon fan. I make a pilgrimage to Foxborough every year from Toronto and have done so since 1981. Because I don't share your perspective on the importance of a 16-0 season, you call me a band wagoner and swear at me. Ok boys, you've got it all figured out. My mistake!!

WOW.. I guess next tyou are going to tell everyone that we should bow down and kiss your arse because you've been making a pilgrimage to Foxboro since 1981.

In all honesty, your saying that 16-0 means nothing tells me that you've never played sports in your life and don't understand the meaning of going undefeated. The kind of confidence it gives a team. The kind of prestige it brings. Not to mention how phenomenally hard the achievement is. Its the equivalent of getting straight A's on your report card while taking all AP and Honors classes in high school.

"If you can't appreciate the 2007 season for what it was, you're not a real fan and you can GTFO the bandwagon now, thanks."

Joined in 12/2007 - - at the very end of the Patriots' perfect season????

And you're calling someone ELSE a bandwaggoner????

THAT gets a good laugh.

You're bullying of another fan gets you 5 infraction points and a warning not to do it again.

Shmessy - Sorry, but your comments are as pathetic as his. Equating length of time on a message board with whether or not someone is a bandwagon fan.

You can give yourself 10 infraction points and hang up your title as moderator for that dumbness.

If Payton busts his hand on a helmet during a follow through, that whole franchise is in deep $$%$. If Polian is uncomfortable now with the heat that his or his coaches decision to rest starters is causing, can you imagine the fire if Manning can't go when the playoffs start.
That is why I understand the decision.

And if Peyton and the Colts lose in their 1st play-off game, then being healthy didn't mean a damn thing, now did it?

Also, since you missed it, they pulled Peyton with only a 5 point lead. Not a 10 or 14 point lead. A 5 point lead. They could have left Peyton in and gotten the WIN so they could attempt to go 19-0 rather than just pulling Peyton and the Starters and kissing the chance at perfection goodbye.

I simply don't place the same importance on 16-0 that you and some others do.
How about getting an additional first round pick awarded by the league for going 16-0. Then it would mean something to me. And it would likely eliminate the Colts or any other team not going for it. Just an idea!

Good for you. But the only way to get to 19-0 is to get to 15-0 first.. Seems you forgot about that.

They're upset because they were denied the chance at 19-0 or an undefeated FULL (not just regular) season. And yes, the actual numbers mean nothing, but complete perfection is the touchstone.

They could care less about TYING what the Pats already were the first to do. 16-0 in 2009 by itself would make them Buzz Aldrin, not Neil Armstrong. Or Larry Doby instead of Jackie Robinson. Can you tell me the SECOND Amercian woman in space after Sally Ride without Googling it? 19-0 (or the perfect season) would be remembered for decades (just ask Don Shula). 16-0 without the SB win this year would be a big woop.

Not sure, but I believe it would have been Christa McAuliffe had the Challenger not exploded...

all that said...they went for it for which iam grateful.iam stunned by analysts like jamie dukes who keep saying undefeated doesnt mean anything ..look at the patriots in 07. As if the pats lost the SB because 18-0 and not because of a crappy game+giants defense.
How is going 18-0 to the SB a recipe for disaster. ? i can never find the correlation.

Jamie Dukes is a dumb bunny...

Shmessy - Sorry, but your comments are as pathetic as his. Equating length of time on a message board with whether or not someone is a bandwagon fan.

You can give yourself 10 infraction points and hang up your title as moderator for that dumbness.

DaBruinz - I don't think shmessy meant it in that manner. I saw it as a well delivered point that drew attention to the irony of a relatively newly joined fan calling somebody else a bandwagon fan. Simple. :)

Back to the OP - Before reading the link, I wondered if this was some fan overreacting to an unintended remark by an individual known for his clumsiness in public. But after reading it, I am convinced that he has the Pats logo for his target practice - whatever that might be - and spends sleepless nights furious with envy at our records/success.

He doesn't have the guts to give respect to other teams and worse, trots out such lame excuses and tries to divert the attention to other records instead of addressing the main issue. And the way he derides the Colts fans on the radio show is pathetic.

Though I respect Peyton a lot, I am now firmly in the bandwagon that roots for the Colts to lose and in the process, embarass its spiteful owner.

Last edited:

DaBruinz - I don't think shmessy meant it in that manner. I saw it as a well delivered point that drew attention to the irony of a relatively newly joined fan calling somebody else a bandwagon fan. Simple. :)

Back to the OP - Before reading the link, I wondered if this was some fan overreacting to an unintended remark by an individual known for his clumsiness in public. But after reading it, I am convinced that he has the Pats logo for his target practice and has sleepless nights furious with envy at our records/success.

Can we get this thread back to its higher purpose of mocking the Indianapolis Chickens? :)

Personally, I vote we rename either Caldwell or Polian "Sir Robin." Just not sure which one. :D

Not sure, but I believe it would have been Christa McAuliffe had the Challenger not exploded...

Nope. Judith Resnick was second and Kathryn Sullivan was the third.

Proves that very few of us ever remember the second in anything.

The only reason some might remember Ms. Resnick (and, yes, I had to google it) is that two years later she was in the FIRST shuttle disaster along with Mrs. McAuliffe.......a tragedy that, not coincidentally, is more seared into the national consciousness than the second shuttle tragedy.

Just examples of why being the second to do something isn't nearly as memorable as being the first.

Last edited:
Well, at least the trophy case has a lot of AFC South Champion hats and shirts in it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents