PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Post Game Thread - Pats vs Jags

Status
Not open for further replies.
This game pissed me off on so many levels . I was so afraid of this, this off season the team did not address many concerns on defense and they lost so many play makers on O. Let's see how they deal with it going forward. They need Edelman back in the worst possible way !

This game pissed me off on so many levels . I was so afraid of this, this off season the team did not address many concerns on defense and they lost so many play makers on O. Let's see how they deal with it going forward. They need Edelman back in the worst possible way !
As much as I love Edelman, he's not the magic fix on offense.

Don’t give me that crap. Bill has dropped the ball drafting especially defensively. You have to try and hit with some of these guys in the second round and after and he hasn’tThat’s you making excuses for the poor drafting. If you keep failing then you go out and get a playmaker defensively. The guy’s a great coach but to me he has always been overrated when it comes to defense.
Here! Here!
The main difference between the Jaguars and the Patriots is that they have much
better players on defense. The Patriots have Flowers and Gilmore and the Jaguars
have 6 Probowl players.

As much as I love Edelman, he's not the magic fix on offense.

He may not be a magic fix, but a healthy Edelman takes Patterson out of the rotation, and forces teams to play all 3 top wide receivers straight, rather than cheating off the gadget guy.

Were seeing the result of 4 years of poor drafting on defense.
Sadly I agree outside of Flowers and Wise. It's a real issue, not helped by the fact that most of our top players on defense aren't making much of an impact at all aside from Gilmore.

Here! Here!
The main difference between the Jaguars and the Patriots is that they have much
better players on defense. The Patriots have Flowers and Gilmore and the Jaguars
have 6 Probowl players.

It's a lot easier to pick Pro Bowlers, when you're picking in the top 5 in the draft for a decade.

I didn't understand the last 6 or so minutes of the game. Starters in but so lackadaisical.

They should have been playing a fast enough pace to have a shot at coming back. If they aren't going to do that -- or in that heat were too gassed to do it -- then they should have pulled the starters.

Sadly I agree outside of Flowers and Wise. It's a real issue, not helped by the fact that most of our top players on defense aren't making much of an impact at all aside from Gilmore.

There’s gonna be an overhaul of the defense this next draft. Please for the love of god, stand pat and use these picks to start the rebuild.

First off, people need to relax. Honestly I don't know how some of you perform in real life when you get so caught up in the moment.

Jax absolutely deserved the W. They outplayed us in almost all facets.

They controlled both los & it wasn't close imo.

Brady was dealing with pressure all day. If it was from the edge, their IDL pushed the pocket making it impossible to step up. Their were a few plays our bookends just couldn't handle the speed. Its great to have versatility but nothing wrong w having pure rushers w speed & bend. There are times you need a play, a stop & those are the guys that provide it.

Conversely we couldn't get any pressure at all. Bortles had all day for things to develop over the middle & did just that. Our rotation at the Rush position is our strength imo. We have to look at that position bc again it's the strength of that unit.

We never disrupted their timing at the los & it looked like we didn't bother when we did blitz.

CP is a gadget player, this really shouldn't be news week 2. That said he's as physical as it gets from a wrs pov so let's see him run slants to get him running w a full head of steam & maybe some comebacks to see if he break a tackle.

Anyone getting down on Sony is an GDT all star. Showed some nice power on a run up the middle & had, what 10 touches, in his first game, against Jax. Very optimistic about him if he's healthy. Esp w Jules who was missed dearly.

We lost by 11 on the road against a great defense. They were peak. We were not close to our best.

Plenty of games left.

There is something that really bothers me about the D. There does not seem to be leadership to instill a sense of pride. Maybe McCourty and Hightower are just too quiet. If a defense with Bruschi, McGinest and Harrison had gotten their asses run in the SB like in SB52 - the entire offseason/training camp would have been a living hell - and not from the coaches. I just do not sense the urgency and pride about their performance.

On defense we have not been able to retain good talent for one reason or another - Chandler, Collins, Butler, etc... We keep wishing that putting on the flying Elvis will magically make these cast-offs from other teams better but that only occasionally works out. And on top of all of this, we had to play a strong Jaguars team in their territory in record heat. Not surprising that they lost, they will lose several more games this year but will still be there for the playoffs. We still have Brady after all.

It's a lot easier to pick Pro Bowlers, when you're picking in the top 5 in the draft for a decade.

You can still get decent players after the first round. Also bill took some gambles in the first round. Some of th se guys are not even playing anymore or have been traded.

There is something that really bothers me about the D. There does not seem to be leadership to instill a sense of pride. Maybe McCourty and Hightower are just too quiet. If a defense with Bruschi, McGinest and Harrison had gotten their asses run in the SB like in SB52 - the entire offseason/trading camp would have been a living hell - and not from the coaches. I just do not sense the urgency and pride about their performance.
Need more vocal leaders
Defense needs a jalen ramsey.

I think punting on 4th and inches when you are down with one of the best Sneak QBs ever was a mistake. That is ****y football. I dont care about percentages. You dont give the other team the ball when YOU are gaining the momentum with your gassed d
No that is smart football given the score and amount of time on the clock (with 3 TOs).

No that is smart football given the score and amount of time on the clock (with 3 TOs).
I agreed w the punt. 8+ minutes left. Defense was bad but they had to make a stop of we wanted to win. Had np w it.

It's early in the season and there's still plenty of time for this team to improve. My concern was and continues to be depth. More so than most years, it seems like we're going to need Gronk and Edelman to stay healthy for the offense to produce, and we probably need Flowers, Hightower and Gilmore to all stay healthy on defense. Any of those guys go down, and all of a sudden the roster has a glaring weaknesses at entire position groups.

Pats seem to get it together every year, but it's never magic. I still felt good about the roster after the Chiefs game in 2014. I have misgivings about the roster this year. Hope I'm wrong.

Patriots lost, not going to say that one play made the difference but if three plays could have changed you might have me. Down 24-3 they did not give up against a good team playing its superbowl, at home in what was arguably one of the hottest game ever (taking into account the humidity). Then Flowers out, then Chung concussed in a cheap shot after the play and no penalty.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 5/7: News and Notes
What Did Tom Brady Say During His Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Drew Bledsoe Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast? Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Belichick Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
Monday Patriots Notebook 5/6: News and Notes
Tom Brady Sustains, Dishes Some Big Hits on Netflix Roast Special
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Back