PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Pre Game Thread - Pats @ Bills

Status
Not open for further replies.
If this game is cancelled, it won't go down as a forfeit (an L) for either team. The game will be wiped off the schedule. Meaning the Patriots will finish the regular season at 8-8 and they will await the results of the Miami vs NYJ game and the Pittsburgh vs Cleveland game. Miami would be in a win-and-in situation. Pittsburgh gets in with a win and a Miami loss. Patriots get in with a Miami AND Pittsburgh loss. NYJ and Cleveland have already been eliminated.

There's zero chance the Patriots miss the playoffs because the Bills chose not the play.

It would be an outrage.

We're a soccer family as well. My older one played in the DA an age group up. We had a long road to drive for practices.

I loved the DA because our club had a luxury bus and they'd take 3 teams with them on the road. All transport, hotel and food was paid for.

Younger one is with the same club, but now that there's no DA, I've kept her on the team that plays in the midwest league (all games within 3 hours) rather than make the long drives for practice. She was invited to play in GA (which is the girls version of MLS Next) but given the extreme travel of that league, we didn't see the point.

I have to say that I've had 2 conversations recently that were eye openers about these clubs. I always said to parents that D1 was a pipe dream for the vast majority of these girls. Now that they are juniors and seniors, however, I'm really shocked to see a lot of them go D1. One of the HS seniors got a full ride to Ohio State, and I thought that's great, but I was shocked that she was a starter, scored multiple goals, and became an All-B1G as a freshman. What I'm trying to say is that I thought the skill level required would be much higher than it actually is.

Second conversation was with one of our club coaches who I've known since before my daughter joined the club. He was a Eredivisie player who has a UEFA Pro license and he's now a D1 head coach. When I told him my surprise and observations about all these girls going D1, he scoffed. He said, yeah, we're giving them a $2k break on their tuition. I asked him what he meant. He said 5 of the 20+ girls are getting scholarships. He also said his recruiting budget is so small he takes some girls sight unseen, based on videotapes. He uses the club travel games, showcases, to scout for his college players. He said on the boys' side, the HC of this D1 school has grabbed kids out of MLS academies sight unseen, just because they were the property of MLS clubs. They have sat on the bench without a minute of gametime the last 2 seasons.

Soccer is truly a mess in the US.

It’s simple. Our best athletes don’t choose soccer. They choose Football, Basketball, Baseball, literally anything except soccer. I don’t blame them. What a boring sport.

There's zero chance the Patriots miss the playoffs because the Bills chose not the play.

It would be an outrage.
There would be outrage if the Patriots made the playoffs for that reason too. There's outrage pretty much every week in the NFL and it doesn't affect much.

The Patriots would object to that and rightfully so. I think the game is going ahead no matter what. Whether the Bills starters play the whole game, part of the game or not at all is a different question.
Obviously that wont happen. The Bengals-Bills game could get cancelled. No chance the Patriots-Bills game gets cancelled. Only way the game doesn't get played is if the Bills forfeit.

It would be an outrage.
I think the Bills-Patriots game will be played. But I don't think it's obvious the game will definitely happen. And there's no way the NFL will make Buffalo take an L if the team says they're too emotionally distraught to play this weekend. So either it goes down as a no contest (not reflected in the records either way) or the NFL find another opponent for the Patriots this weekend (and good luck with that jigsaw puzzle).

Buffalo Bills tickets in the secondary market are going up fast. They've doubled in price the last day.

I think there's going to be a big wave of support in the stands for this game.
Mac will throw a couple of TDs.

To the Bills.

Interesting that the Ravens Bengals game is showing as TBD on the schedule but ours is set.

As far as I know the time was pending the outcome of the Bills-Bengals game. If the Bengals won then the game would be at 1:00PM. Or if they lost then the game would be at 4:25PM. Maybe they held off on the time pending a decision on the Bills-Bengals game? But I'm not entirely sure why they haven't set a time now that the Bills-Bengals game situation won't be resolved this week.

Last edited:
And there's no way the NFL will make Buffalo take an L if the team says they're too emotionally distraught to play this weekend.
Agree with this statement. The difficult thing the NFL is facing now is there are no "real updates" on the condition of Damar Hamlin in the past 36 hours. If his condition dramatically improved, it would be easier to schedule games etc. The Bills emotionally would be in a better place, but with not knowing or not seeing any improvement, I'm not sure what can be done at this point.

Most of us on here are Patriot fans, but one can't expect the NFL to punish the Bills with a loss for not wanting to play this weekend. I think if there are no significant updates in the next 48 hours, this weekend's game will be in jeopardy and then there becomes bigger questions. Just a very tough situation!!!

I think the Bills-Patriots game will be played. But I don't think it's obvious the game will definitely happen. And there's no way the NFL will make Buffalo take an L if the team says they're too emotionally distraught to play this weekend. So either it goes down as a no contest (not reflected in the records either way) or the NFL find another opponent for the Patriots this weekend (and good luck with that jigsaw puzzle).
This is how I put it in terms of probability:

Game gets played: 85%
Bills Forfeit: 14.9%:
Cancelled/No contest: 0.1%
Surprise Opponent: 0.0%

that would really stink... but it'd be a sure way the league (Goodell) could screw the Pats again - with a positive PR bonus.
so, either we lose the opportunity to play for our chance (and count on the Browns & Jets - who are both toast)
or, we get good news about Hamlin waking up healthy - and play the game against the most motivated team in history...
lose/lose
I don’t think this situation is about the league spiting the pats. I’d turn off that lens for this.

But I agree about motivation, and the entire country will of course want us to lose

This NE vs Buffalo game is another Chicago vs NE game.

There was no way that the Bears were going to lose to NE so Bill Belichick could pass George Halas in wins. Especially on national TV.

There is no chance that the Bills are losing this game. Not for playoff purposes and not for their fans. If KC wins Saturday the Bills are 2 games back. Not losing for their teammate laying in a hospital clinging to life. Hamlin may never play the game again. I'd be shocked if this game is not broadcast to the majority of the country.

I don't really see a scenario in which Buffalo players decline to play due to grief.

There is no chance that the Bills are losing this game. Not for playoff purposes and not for their fans. If KC wins Saturday the Bills are 2 games back. Not losing for their teammate laying in a hospital clinging to life. Hamlin may never play the game again. I'd be shocked if this game is not broadcast to the majority of the country.
Let's not jump the gun yet. Can we find out if they're playing first? We don't have any updates on him yet. Let' s calm down with predictions.

Agree with this statement. The difficult thing the NFL is facing now is there are no "real updates" on the condition of Damar Hamlin in the past 36 hours. If his condition dramatically improved, it would be easier to schedule games etc. The Bills emotionally would be in a better place, but with not knowing or not seeing any improvement, I'm not sure what can be done at this point.

Most of us on here are Patriot fans, but one can't expect the NFL to punish the Bills with a loss for not wanting to play this weekend. I think if there are no significant updates in the next 48 hours, this weekend's game will be in jeopardy and then there becomes bigger questions. Just a very tough situation!!!
I think a decision on whether or not this game is played would have to be made pretty soon (i.e. probably before there are any significant updates on Hamlin's condition). If the game is cancelled then the only way the Patriots aren't just awaiting results of the Miami and Pittsburgh games is if the league matches the Patriots up with another team. The most obvious choice is Miami. The Jets already are eliminated so they can end the season at 7-9. Miami and Patriots play for the 7th seed. Pittsburgh won't be too happy about this (since it would effectively eliminate them) so perhaps the league could match up Pittsburgh and the Patriots and call the Browns season at 7-9. This way all three teams (MIA, PIT & NWE) would still be alive heading into their games. But for logistical reasons these types of decisions have to be made very soon.

Preemptive caveat: The main thing is still that a guy is at last check still not breathing on his own. It's a horrible thing and like everybody else my heart goes out.

However: 3,000 people died on 9/11 and they missed 1 weekend, right?

I am a pretty understanding guy. I get that they can work through the Bills - Bengals - (others) issue for 1 week, with a cancelled result. It can foul up other teams, but both the teams involved have done what they need to do to be in the playoffs. Anybody else affected, it's only if they "needed help." That buys them the ability for the NFL to handle this most gracefully.

But extending that to the week of the Patriots makes all the feelings another team's problem directly (not indirectly, as in a shakeup by a Bills-Bengals mutual forfeit).

The Hamlin situation is tragic and nobody is saying tough it out. The question is whether the season stops for it... If the Bills can't go, they still forfeit and play the next week. I'd say they need the day off now more than later, but their call. If Cinci plays and wins, I guess they could be all noble and give the Bills their bye.

And if you think that's unfair to Cinci, how tf would it be different taking the Pats out without the chance to win another game?

Just stating the obvious

There was no way that the Bears were going to lose to NE so Bill Belichick could pass George Halas in wins. Especially on national TV.

There is no chance that the Bills are losing this game.
Are you basing this on the angle of the Bills being so highly motivated, or upon the league / refs / public desiring a particular result?

The first would be a reasonable concern, the second would be pretty goofy.

There would be outrage if the Patriots made the playoffs for that reason too. There's outrage pretty much every week in the NFL and it doesn't affect much.

Right but what can the Patriots do if the Bills wont play? The Patriots are the 7th seed and as it stands they have earned their spot, how is Miami going to get in for example over the Patriots in a scenario where they beat the Jets and the Bills and Patriots get marked as a tie? A team the Pats just beat last week.

It will never happen.
The game will be played but if it isn't the Patriots are not going to be the team that is affected by it.

I think a decision on whether or not this game is played would have to be made pretty soon (i.e. probably before there are any significant updates on Hamlin's condition). If the game is cancelled then the only way the Patriots aren't just awaiting results of the Miami and Pittsburgh games is if the league matches the Patriots up with another team. The most obvious choice is Miami. The Jets already are eliminated so they can end the season at 7-9. Miami and Patriots play for the 7th seed. Pittsburgh won't be too happy about this (since it would effectively eliminate them) so perhaps the league could match up Pittsburgh and the Patriots and call the Browns season at 7-9. This way all three teams (MIA, PIT & NWE) would still be alive heading into their games. But for logistical reasons these types of decisions have to be made very soon.
Lay off the pipe dude.

Nobody with a chance to compete should be eliminated because a team which is already in the playoffs chooses not to play.

The week it happens, you can just say "that never happened before." Everybody's shocked enough to accept that.

The next week? Don't play, take an L. I mean, let's do the reductio ad absurdum. Do we need to give the Bills the ring right now in case they're still shook, as the kids say these days?

There is a difference between allowing the team to take the game off and take the L, and giving other teams an L (or the functional equivalent) because they need more time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe