PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Rookie "Locks"

mgteich

PatsFans.com Veteran
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
Under Belichick, there is only one "rule" with regard to drafted rookies.

RULE 1
EVERYONE drafted in the first FOUR rounds makes the 53, unless they are put on IR.
=================
So, who are these players who are "locks"
1 CB Gonzalez
2 DE White
3 S/LB Mapu
4 C/G Andrews
4 K Ryland
4 G Sow
---------------
5 P Baringer is not a LOCK. However, he was one of two best punters and should be on the 53.
============================
I like ALL these players, All should be contributors in their first two years.
THE REST
are long shots as is usually the case. My binkie is Boutte, a top talent. Of course, I will for the rest. After all, it would be great if we have upgrades for Bryant and Wade.

None of the 3 IOL taken are locks.

One is very well going to end up on IR or the practice squad. There simply isn't enough room for all 3.

Trent Brown, Strange, Andrews, Onwenu, McDermott, Rieff, Anderson, Hines, Cajuste, Steuber, Russey, J Andrews, Sow, Mafi, Ferentz, Murray.

16 players for 8 or 9 spots. This doesn't even take Cannon and Wynn into account.

One of Rieff, Anderson or Cajuste is going to be cut. That means 3 spots max open for Sow, Hines, Mafi and Jake Andrews. One of them is going on IR, and I suspect it won't be Andrews or Sow.

RULE 1
EVERYONE drafted in the first FOUR rounds makes the 53, unless they are put on IR.
=================
1 CB Gonzalez
2 DE White
3 S/LB Mapu
4 C/G Andrews
4 K Ryland
4 G Sow
---------------
5 P Baringer is not a LOCK. However, he was one of two best punters and should be on the 53.
THE REST
are long shots as is usually the case. My binkie is Boutte, a top talent. Of course, I will for the rest. After all, it would be great if we have upgrades for Bryant and Wade.
I have Baringer as a lock from my high back leather chair.

None of the 3 IOL taken are locks.

One is very well going to end up on IR or the practice squad. There simply isn't enough room for all 3.

Trent Brown, Strange, Andrews, Onwenu, McDermott, Rieff, Anderson, Hines, Cajuste, Steuber, Russey, J Andrews, Sow, Mafi, Ferentz, Murray.

16 players for 8 or 9 spots. This doesn't even take Cannon and Wynn into account.

One of Rieff, Anderson or Cajuste is going to be cut. That means 3 spots max open for Sow, Hines, Mafi and Jake Andrews. One of them is going on IR, and I suspect it won't be Andrews or Sow.
OK, so 5th rounder Mafi won't make the 53, unless Hines can't come back from his injuries.

Anderson is our backup LT. He isn't being cut. I agree that we will cut a RT, probably Cajuste.

OT: Brown, Reiff, Anderson, McDermott
C: Andrews, Andrews
OG: Strange, Onwenu, Sow, Hines

That's 10, an OK number if we carry only 2 TE's. An OT then is the 3rd TE in jumbo sets.

CB Christian Gonzalez
EDGE Keion White
LB Marte Mapu
K Chad Ryland
G/T Sidy Sow
WR Kayshon Boutte
P Bryce Baringer

NOTE: It's either Nixon or Boutte.

Last edited:

RULE 1
=================
1 CB Gonzalez
2 DE White
3 S/LB Mapu
4 C/G Andrews
4 K Ryland
4 G Sow
---------------
THE REST
I like!!.. Wade is still a mystery to me.. how he continues to occupy a roster spot is mind boggling.. at least Bryant makes the field to show that he sucks!

OK, so 5th rounder Mafi won't make the 53, unless Hines can't come back from his injuries.

Anderson is our backup LT. He isn't being cut. I agree that we will cut a RT, probably Cajuste.

That's 10, an OK number if we carry only 2 TE's. An OT then is the 3rd TE in jumbo sets.
I'd be shocked if we carry 10.

Need room for the special teams players. 9 at most, but you're right that presents a problem of who to cut. Judicious use of IR?

CB Christian Gonzalez
EDGE Keion White
LB Marte Mapu
K Chad Ryland
G/T Sidy Sow
WR Kayshon Boutte
P Bryce Baringer

NOTE: It's either Nixon or Boutte.
Presuming that we have a 5th WR, I think another acquisition is more likely than Nixon to make the 53.

Personally, I am fine with 12 roster players between OL and TE. The 12th is the 3rd TE in the jumbo set.
Agreed. I think it's important to have 9-10 Offensive Linemen in 2023 with so many questions there....need options. Doubtful TE Johnny Lumpkin makes the 53 but at 6'5" 265 Lbs he's got the size to block inline and be that 10th OL. He's averaged about 1.2 catches per game in his college career. I'll take that with the Pats.

"He is a decent blocker at the point of attack, with the traits and willingness to improve in that area."

Strengths
  • Rare combination of size and length at tight end.
  • Uses frame to block out defenders on stop routes underneath.
  • Quality lateral movement for back-side cutoffs as zone blocker.
  • Flashed ability to kick out the edge or climb and seal linebackers.
  • Showed potential in pass protection.

Last edited:

Don’t sleep on Stueber at OT. I’m expecting at least one of Reiff, Anderson, and McDermott to be a training camp casualty. Might end up injured and going to IR or even a camp retirement. None of them is a spring chicken.

Folk has been pretty darn good so I am not so sure Ryland is a lock.

I think we signed a vet Punter but if Baringer can handle kickoffs too and isn't impacted by who wins the kicker duel then I think he is more likely then Ryland.

I don't really think either are locks but both are highly likely. Just need to prove themselves at the next level.

As to the rest especially the ones drafted in the top 4 rds I think the bigger question is how big a role and how quick can they claim it.

My instant predictions:

• OT: Brown, Anderson, Cajuste, Steuber
• OG: Onwenu, Strange, Sow
• CC: D. Andrews, J. Andrews
• Hines, Mafi, and Russey to PS
• Rieff retires
• Murray starts sending out resumes and checking into graduate school
• Ferentz continues to show up in Foxborough, gets a job in the front office

Someone may beat a 4th rounder for the first time this CENTURY under Belichick.
Injuries always happen - every year - regardless of the conspiracy or not of the 'Foxboro flu' - they "help" work out the fringes especially.

My instant predictions:

• OT: Brown, Anderson, Cajuste, Steuber
• OG: Onwenu, Strange, Sow
• CC: D. Andrews, J. Andrews
• Hines, Mafi, and Russey to PS
• Rieff retires
• Murray starts sending out resumes and checking into graduate school
• Ferentz continues to show up in Foxborough, gets a job in the front office
McDermott?

2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
Back