PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Rookie "Locks"

Folk has been pretty darn good so I am not so sure Ryland is a lock.

I think we signed a vet Punter but if Baringer can handle kickoffs too and isn't impacted by who wins the kicker duel then I think he is more likely then Ryland.

I don't really think either are locks but both are highly likely. Just need to prove themselves at the next level.

As to the rest especially the ones drafted in the top 4 rds I think the bigger question is how big a role and how quick can they claim it.
Folk was mediocre last year. Yes he has been pretty good at times in the past but he’s 38, only hit 86.5% FGA when league leaders were around 95%, and he couldn’t kick a touchback with a hurricane blowing in his direction.

Folk was mediocre last year. Yes he has been pretty good at times in the past but he’s 38, only hit 86.5% FGA when league leaders were around 95%, and he couldn’t kick a touchback with a hurricane blowing in his direction.
It's still a higher bar than the punter needs to be at that's all.

Gonzalez
White
Mapu(e)
Kicker
Punter
Boutte
Sidy Sow

Others foxborough flu.

I think D. Andrews and Ferentz are toast and have been for a while without adequate replacement. Should the rookies show the ability to adapt and accept hard coaching, they'll pack the veterans' bags for them and bid a thank you and farewell.

Are we "lucky" to perhaps have found in another 6th round a gem ?
I am intrigued in Boutte...

None of the 3 IOL taken are locks.

One is very well going to end up on IR or the practice squad. There simply isn't enough room for all 3.

Trent Brown, Strange, Andrews, Onwenu, McDermott, Rieff, Anderson, Hines, Cajuste, Steuber, Russey, J Andrews, Sow, Mafi, Ferentz, Murray.

16 players for 8 or 9 spots. This doesn't even take Cannon and Wynn into account.

One of Rieff, Anderson or Cajuste is going to be cut. That means 3 spots max open for Sow, Hines, Mafi and Jake Andrews. One of them is going on IR, and I suspect it won't be Andrews or Sow.

Andrews and Sow are roster locks as much as almost anyone, unless injured. They don't cut 4th rounders

Mafi is fighting for a spot.

Andrews and Sow are roster locks as much as almost anyone, unless injured. They don't cut 4th rounders

Mafi is fighting for a spot.
All I asked is that you pare the roster down. Because if you want those 2 to make it, then you have to cut others. We have a lot of linemen right now. Do you cut Hines? Because Hines not only has a year on the new guys, he also has higher scores than them from a deeper draft. If Mafi shows he's better than Sow in camp, they may lose Sow. It's a numbers game at this point. UNLESS the idea is to move Onwenu or Strange to tackle and then cut Cajuste and McDermott. Or Rieff. Then the numbers game opens up. You'll have a need for all 4 of these interior payers if even one of the guards moves to tackle.

I'm much more a fan of moving Strange to tackle than Onwenu. I think Strange could be just like Matt Light.

All I asked is that you pare the roster down. Because if you want those 2 to make it, then you have to cut others. We have a lot of linemen right now. Do you cut Hines? Because Hines not only has a year on the new guys, he also has higher scores than them from a deeper draft. If Mafi shows he's better than Sow in camp, they may lose Sow. It's a numbers game at this point. UNLESS the idea is to move Onwenu or Strange to tackle and then cut Cajuste and McDermott. Or Rieff. Then the numbers game opens up. You'll have a need for all 4 of these interior payers if even one of the guards moves to tackle.

I'm much more a fan of moving Strange to tackle than Onwenu. I think Strange could be just like Matt Light.
Strange and Light both have arm length (33in). I'm concerned Strange might not be big enough. Might need to put on a few pounds.

I think D. Andrews and Ferentz are toast and have been for a while without adequate replacement. Should the rookies show the ability to adapt and accept hard coaching, they'll pack the veterans' bags for them and bid a thank you and farewell.
D Andrews is not toast.

I think Hines will be a valuable backup at G. I don't think Stueber will make the 53.

Based on the way the team drafted, it does not appear they have a high opinion of Hines.

I currently see six players for four spots at tackle (Brown/Anderson/Reiff/Cajuste/McDermott/Steuber) with no locks, three locks at guard (Strange/Onwenu/Sow), with three players (Mafi/Hines/Murray) fighting for one job, and the two Andrews center, both locks. Of course there can be cross keeping (five OT,3G for example).

The roster is fluid. If Bill has a choice of cutting this year 4th round pick or a sixth rounder who sat all year, which do you think has the better chance of being claimed? Bill Murray and Ferentz, just go through to the practice, so their positions won't change much. In the end that type of thinking matters most at the bottom of the roster.

Rookie Locks

Sow
Gonzalez
Mapu
White
Andrews

The kicker is almost a lock, but you know how kickers can go.

Locks are guys picked in rounds 1-4 typically but I think Baringer is also a lock.
Gonzalez
White
Mapu
Andrews
Ryland
Sow
Baringer

Positional battles:
Mafi- Will battle Hines, Steuber, Cajuste, and McDermott for back up lineman roster spots. If he can play T like some people suggested it makes him a lot more likely to make the roster
Boutte/Douglas- will battle Trey Nixon for the 5th receive spot (although not sure they will be able to sneak either onto the practice squad)
Speed/Bolden- will battle Bryant and Wade for the 5th corner spot.

Locks are guys picked in rounds 1-4 typically but I think Baringer is also a lock.
Gonzalez
White
Mapu
Andrews
Ryland
Sow
Baringer
Agree
Positional battles:
Mafi- Will battle Hines, Steuber, Cajuste, and McDermott for back up lineman roster spots. If he can play T like some people suggested it makes him a lot more likely to make the roster
Mafi should win
Boutte/Douglas- will battle Trey Nixon for the 5th receive spot (although not sure they will be able to sneak either onto the practice squad)
Something about Boutte makes me optimistic he'll stick.
Speed/Bolden- will battle Bryant and Wade for the 5th corner spot.
Please god.

Gonzalez
White
Mapu
Andrews
Ryland
Sow
Baringer

You are most likely right, but what if a kicker comes in, and he can't be trusted. Like he will blow games. What do you do?

The other rookies you just bury by not suiting them up. That's mostly what they do anyway. The team can even play practice squad players over the raw rookie.

But a kicker will kill you.

You are most likely right, but what if a kicker comes in, and he can't be trusted. Like he will blow games. What do you do?

The other rookies you just bury by not suiting them up. That's mostly what they do anyway. The team can even play practice squad players over the raw rookie.

Bill has a history of scouting kickers well. I don’t think they would have spent a 4th on a guy Bill doesn’t trust. They don’t make the pick if they aren’t ready for a specific kicking prospect to replace Folk.

Never discount an UDFA making the final 53, it's almost a Pats tradition..

No one is discounting anything. However, what MG stated is FACT. Since Belichick took over, every pick 4th round and above has made the initial roster during their rookie year. The only exceptions have been players who were IRed.

It's not a matter of "most likely being right". It's a matter of FACT. Just because you throw up some hypothetical doesn't change 22 years of Belichick history.

Injuries always happen - every year - regardless of the conspiracy or not of the 'Foxboro flu' - they "help" work out the fringes especially.
Guess you didn't read the OP which was just a few posts above yours...
mgteich said:
RULE 1
EVERYONE drafted in the first FOUR rounds makes the 53, unless they are put on IR.

2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
Back