PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Running Back situation on current roster is sad

Sam Bam Cunningham

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
Only 2 RBs on the roster???I know the OL sucks, but Stevenson has not looked great AND Ezekiel has looked abysmal.
No change of pace or third down back, no explosive back?Traded away Strong who was their only speedy RB for a JAG OL that may have been cut. Cut JJ Taylor.
What is going on? I think Stevenson may be a bit overrated, but still 2 RB's. They could really use someone who could run outside the tackles.
The RB cupboard is completely bare.
Another example of terrible roster construction and not helping MAC out.

When you combine this with OL, receiver and backup QB fiasco...it absolutely seems that Bill the GM has no idea what he is doing.
Certainly Kraft must be wondering what is going on.

Trading away Strong really made no sense. I get that they moved away from the stretch run game that they attempted to install last year but I find it hard to imagine they couldn't get Strong involved in the pass game. We haven't had a receiving back since James White left and it seems we are content riding Stevenson into the ground while letting Zeke in the mix here and there. Strong was the only guy with some speed and we traded him for a guy who hasn't even been able to see the field. Not saying Strong is Barry Sanders or anything but he at least had a different skillset than the guys we currently have.

I think he saw 4% of the offensive snaps on offense on Sunday night. Looks like the only ones who think he can play are some random posters on here.
then we could use a third down back if they think ty isn't the guy

It would seem that some people haven't wrapped their head around the new logistics of the Practice Squads, with the ability to elevate players and have vested veterans on the PS as well.

The Patriots situation with the Run Game has more to do with the O-Line performance than it does the RBs. Whining about this seems to be a "I need to whine about something" issue than a real issue on the team.

As I said the moment it happened - trading Strong for a useless 4th string RT is absurd.
Everyone on here panned Strong's value. But, both Rham and Zeke are big backs, but not quick or explosive.
In fact, use that description for every one of our skill players except Pop.
That's not a recipe for wins in this century.

It would seem that some people haven't wrapped their head around the new logistics of the Practice Squads, with the ability to elevate players and have vested veterans on the PS as well.

The Patriots situation with the Run Game has more to do with the O-Line performance than it does the RBs. Whining about this seems to be a "I need to whine about something" issue than a real issue on the team.
I am starting to wonder about members who constantly post negativity.

Folks definitely have to consider the practice squad members as well when thinking about the entire makeup of a team. I do kind of agree with the idea that Strong should've been kept, but we don't know yet what they gained in Wheatley Jr - maybe it will have been worthwhile. Otherwise, they also have Ty Montgomery and Kevin Harris in reserves, one of the best backs in the league in Stevenson, and Zeke as a guy who can spell him while also being able to play all 3 downs. It's not the best RB situation in the league but it's not sad.

Im thinking this is going to be a rough year for both of us.

I think he saw 4% of the offensive snaps on offense on Sunday night. Looks like the only ones who think he can play are some random posters on here.
Did Montgomery get banged up?

Folks definitely have to consider the practice squad members as well when thinking about the entire makeup of a team. I do kind of agree with the idea that Strong should've been kept, but we don't know yet what they gained in Wheatley Jr - maybe it will have been worthwhile. Otherwise, they also have Ty Montgomery and Kevin Harris in reserves, one of the best backs in the league in Stevenson, and Zeke as a guy who can spell him while also being able to play all 3 downs. It's not the best RB situation in the league but it's not sad.
But... but... but.. Bill the GM ! Bill must be bashed!
Happy Season 8 GIF by One Chicago

I appreciate your levelheaded approach to the roster as it's currently situated.

The Pat's were down 16 - 0 vs the Eagles. Corky threw 54 times for 300 yards. His fans loved it.

The Pat's were down 17 - 3 vs the Dolphins.

Pass to get the lead and run to win.

Only 2 RB on the 53? How sad. If only we had 3 or 4 RB, the running game would be electric. Or maybe 7 RB's? Holy ****, our run game would be on fire. Those RB's wouldn't be as talented as Rham and Zeke, but we'd have more RB's! More RB's equals not sad! And Pierre Strong! If only he was on the team still. We'd be a ground and pound powerhouse!

Or....the run blocking of the makeshift OL in the first two games has been piss poor.

I am going to have to put on my thinking cap and try to figure out which is more accurate.

Only 2 RBs on the roster???I know the OL sucks, but Stevenson has not looked great AND Ezekiel has looked abysmal.
No change of pace or third down back, no explosive back?Traded away Strong who was their only speedy RB for a JAG OL that may have been cut. Cut JJ Taylor.
What is going on? I think Stevenson may be a bit overrated, but still 2 RB's. They could really use someone who could run outside the tackles.
The RB cupboard is completely bare.
Another example of terrible roster construction and not helping MAC out.

When you combine this with OL, receiver and backup QB fiasco...it absolutely seems that Bill the GM has no idea what he is doing.
Certainly Kraft must be wondering what is going on.

Not only that but it’s going to rain or snow every day for the rest of everyone’s lives. It’s going to be horrible. No reason to laugh or smile ever again. Thank God AI is going to kill everyone before 2025.

MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
Back