PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Scouting Report: Marcus Hardison, DL

I can see the Richardson comp. Obviously Richardson was further along in his development from a technique, hand use perspective, but from a size, athletic version it is a good comparison.

One question I had. You mentioned you would not take both Hardison and Diggy because of a similar skill set, I say why not? I think Diggy is a great option to come in and play in a rotation with Nink and Jones with the potential to take over and be a better version of Nink down the road. Hardison, along side Easley gives BB and Patricia serious flexibility to run different schemes and looks. Teams won't know where the rush is coming from and who to block.
The name of the game is flexibility and mismatches, I think getting both creates both.

I can see the Richardson comp. Obviously Richardson was further along in his development from a technique, hand use perspective, but from a size, athletic version it is a good comparison.

One question I had. You mentioned you would not take both Hardison and Diggy because of a similar skill set, I say why not? I think Diggy is a great option to come in and play in a rotation with Nink and Jones with the potential to take over and be a better version of Nink down the road. Hardison, along side Easley gives BB and Patricia serious flexibility to run different schemes and looks. Teams won't know where the rush is coming from and who to block.
The name of the game is flexibility and mismatches, I think getting both creates both.

I wouldn't be opposed to it, personally. It's more a question of draft capital spent in one area. Hardison is one of my top "value" picks at the moment, but if he moves into the 2nd round then it's hard to see the Pats spending a top 40 pick on Odhighizuwa as well. I think it's more likely that you have to pick one as a priority. In that scenario, I'd prefer Hardison - likely available later, more size, and more versatility.

I generally like the idea of getting athletes in the front 7 who can create mismatches. I'd personally target Hardison and then see who else falls. Mario Edwards or Ellis McCarthy could be interesting. In terms of EDGE players, Danielle Hunter and Max Valles interest me a lot as value picks with versatility who can play in space. I think it's a question of who is available and how much draft capital you want to invest in one area. But there's inherently no reason why Hardison and Odhigizuwa wouldn't both be excellent additions to the defense.

Last edited:
Haven't watched Valles yet, but count me in on Hunter.

I don't see Diggy as a pure edge defender but as someone who will win on passing downs playing inside, exactly where Hardison and Easley will be. You play Diggy outside on running downs, inside on passing downs.

MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Back