PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

What if we *Don't* hire a GM?

Absolutely not.

The GM power structure is completely different. A GM is typically empowered to have final say on player personnel , and can fire / replace a HC, with the assent of ownership. A director of player personnel doesn't wield that type of power.

They are two completely different animals.
PREACH

Really??.. so you're happy with our CURRENT ROOM? that alone should make you throw up! LOL
If you think Justin Fields is a vast improvement over our current QB room, I don't know what to tell you.

He's too inconsistent.

If you think Justin Fields is a vast improvement over our current QB room, I don't know what to tell you.

He's too inconsistent.
He's better than anything we have to call for a QB.. I'd be willing to take him and still take QB of course.. mayo would put guys around him.. he's gotten better and is a victim of bad coaching in Chi- town. Obviously these are just thoughts. I really don't know what the organization plans to do?.. IMO Harrison Jr. At #3, LT at #33
QB in the 2nd or 3rd.. fields for a late 2nd or high 3rd rounder.. just my thoughts...

Didnt BB cede total control of draft powers to appease little Jerry Jones Kraft.

Nevertheless, the Pats needed a Punter and Folk was losing steam.

Folk is a hundred times the kicker Ryland is, and they could have gotten a kicker and punter the same way most teams do… as free agents.

How do you reach so high up for a kicker and draft the worst one possible? You almost need to try to intentionally be that bad

I suspect it's Groh, being the son of a FOB. Good, I think Groh is responsible for Strange, Thornton and Strong. The only word on Wolf is that he was instrumental in the Barmore pick. Wolf is also not a BB guy, having been brought in from the outside.
Yeah, if it was one guy I would also figure it would be Groh. I don't really know why but I have always gotten the sense that Groh is kind of just Bill's lackey... I don't have anything to base it on that I can point to. But I would not be shocked, I suppose, if Bill went to Atlanta or wherever and called Groh to come be his VP of Player Personnel or whatever fancy title he wants to be able to promote him away from NE.

If that did happen though, it would simplify things in NE, as it would leave Wolf alone to take over the DPP role and be the de facto GM without the title this year.

Folk is a hundred times the kicker Ryland is, and they could have gotten a kicker and punter the same way most teams do… as free agents.

How do you reach so high up for a kicker and draft the worst one possible? You almost need to try to intentionally be that bad
Justin Tucker - UDFA
Tyler Bass - round 6
Harrison Butker - round 7
Chris Boswell - UDFA
Brandon Aubrey - FA
Younghoe Koo - UDFA

I will never understand why Bill had this mini obsession with punters and kickers. The best in the game don't get drafted before round 6 at best.

Even if Ryland had absolutely hit, is the value worth it for a 4th rounder? I don't think any kicker will ever be worth that, 80% of the role they should all be able to do without fault - it's the remaining 20% where the best stand out.

And for Folk to then go and hit 29/30 when he had been already on the books....one of the worst moves Bill ever made tbh.

Yeah, if it was one guy I would also figure it would be Groh. I don't really know why but I have always gotten the sense that Groh is kind of just Bill's lackey... I don't have anything to base it on that I can point to. But I would not be shocked, I suppose, if Bill went to Atlanta or wherever and called Groh to come be his VP of Player Personnel or whatever fancy title he wants to be able to promote him away from NE.

If that did happen though, it would simplify things in NE, as it would leave Wolf alone to take over the DPP role and be the de facto GM without the title this year.
I'm not sure what we gain by having Wolf as defacto GM. I would just promote him to VP of Player Personnel and be done with it. (or whatever title it takes for not to be picked off). Groh is likely gone. I too think that he is someone that Bill will take with him. Don't take me wrong. I would be fine with bring someone like Pioli in. I just don't think that the plan is to do so.

I'm not sure what we gain by having Wolf as defacto GM. I would just promote him to VP of Player Personnel and be done with it. (or whatever title it takes for not to be picked off). Groh is likely gone. I too think that he is someone that Bill will take with him. Don't take me wrong. I would be fine with bring someone like Pioli in. I just don't think that the plan is to do so.
I agree with you. I just feel like the Krafts would prefer the "optics" of Groh choosing to leave himself, and then them promoting Wolf, so everyone is happy, rather than them promoting Wolf over top of Groh and then Groh leaving afterwards which makes it look like they pushed Groh out the door.

I don't think anyone would really care that much, but you know how sensitive the Krafts can be to these things.

Drafting Strange who they could have had in the 3rd round if they really wanted him.

Drafting a kicker and a punter in 2023, inexcusable for a team that needs to rebuild.

These are the draft mistakes that set you back

Kickers get the yips.

This isn't a mystery.

Folk is obviously a much better kicker, but look what happened last year in the weather. His leg weakened. He could not kick anything beyond 40. He was missing.

We needed a new kicker over Folk.

Ryland was considered the 2nd best kicker coming out of college. One guy was drafted before him. Other teams needed kickers. Plenty of kickers have been drafted. We drafted Gost. Harrison Butker, Sanders, Carlson, Matt Gay, 4 of the best 5 in the NFL, all drafted. Even Nick Folk was drafted.

Ryland was a bad pick. I had hopes for him early because I saw he had a huge leg and all his hits were crisp and straight, end over end. He is maybe a head case, because he could not overcome his constant failures. If you compared him to his prior performance, you would say he had the yips. This happened to Folk early in his career. He came out of it.

Patriots need one or two more kickers in camp to unseat him, because they can't wait for him to get his act together.

Kickers get the yips.

This isn't a mystery.

Folk is obviously a much better kicker, but look what happened last year in the weather. His leg weakened. He could not kick anything beyond 40. He was missing.

We needed a new kicker over Folk.

Ryland was considered the 2nd best kicker coming out of college. One guy was drafted before him. Other teams needed kickers. Plenty of kickers have been drafted. We drafted Gost. Harrison Butker, Sanders, Carlson, Matt Gay, 4 of the best 5 in the NFL, all drafted. Even Nick Folk was drafted.

Ryland was a bad pick. I had hopes for him early because I saw he had a huge leg and all his hits were crisp and straight, end over end. He is maybe a head case, because he could not overcome his constant failures. If you compared him to his prior performance, you would say he had the yips. This happened to folk early in his career. He came out of it.

Patriots need one or two more kickers in camo to unseat him, because they can't wait for him to get his act together.
And he had Hardo Joe and Achord as his coaches which probably didn't help.

And he had Hardo Joe and Achord as his coaches which probably didn't help.
I have no reason to have faith in Achord. Judge obviously presided over the best STs in the NFL over several seasons, with Gost as his kicker.

Judon will be a fine 2024 upgrade over Uche. The key is to re-sign Jennings.

LINEBACKERS
Judon, Tavai, Bentley, Jennings
Wilson, Manu, McMillan, Elliss, Giles-Harris
Board

Board & the lacrosse player's brother both Suck. They're not worthy of even being mentioned in a projected depth chart... Heck I don't want Either of them on the post-draft 90, that's how useless they are... and Ellis isn't that much better himself.

It’s all about Wolf and Groh, but I read a story earlier this morning that said that there was a team source saying one or both guys might follow Bill. That sounds weird to me, but I guess it’s possible. Then what?

I really, Really, REALLY hope that Al Groh's kid follows Bill wherever he goes.

Alot of chatter about the GM position both here and in the media and I just don't see it as a current priority.

Bill is going to be hired very shortly and he won't waste time filling his staff so the focus here should be getting the staff in place and specifically getting commitment from existing coaches who Jerrod wants to keep. If he hires an OC outside the organization then they may want their own position guys. Regardless of who is hired/stays, this needs to be done very soon.

Next is current roster/contract analysis and free agent strategy. Mayo and Groh need to be on this along with the OC and DC.

Meanwhile you have Wolf preparing for the draft so when the time comes to include Mayo, much of the legwork will be complete.

Alot of chatter about the GM position both here and in the media and I just don't see it as a current priority.

Bill is going to be hired very shortly and he won't waste time filling his staff so the focus here should be getting the staff in place and specifically getting commitment from existing coaches who Jerrod wants to keep. If he hires an OC outside the organization then they may want their own position guys. Regardless of who is hired/stays, this needs to be done very soon.

Next is current roster/contract analysis and free agent strategy. Mayo and Groh need to be on this along with the OC and DC.

Meanwhile you have Wolf preparing for the draft so when the time comes to include Mayo, much of the legwork will be complete.
1) If we want to consider coaches from outside the organization, we may need to wait until after the Super Bowl.

2) Mayo has done the right thing with the Belichick brothers. He should NOT force them to make commitments now.

3) I do NOT have the same faith in Groh that you have. In any case, he will very likely go with Bill.

4) Wolfe is the defacto GM and will get the promotion soon if that is made necessary by offers from other teams.

1) If we want to consider coaches from outside the organization, we may need to wait until after the Super Bowl.

2) Mayo has done the right thing with the Belichick brothers. He should NOT force them to make commitments now.

3) I do NOT have the same faith in Groh that you have. In any case, he will very likely go with Bill.

4) Wolfe is the defacto GM and will get the promotion soon if that is made necessary by offers from other teams.

1. True although they are talking to candidates already
2. Disagree. You make sure the coaches you want to keep are committed. This might require a promotion. If he likes Steve Belichick as is DC but Steve isn't committed until he sees where his Father lands, you go to plan B and offer it to Covington.
We can agree to disagree on this.
3. I don't know how much faith I have in Groh as I really don't have a strong measure to evaluate him but consistent with point 2, if they value him and/or Wolf, you make sure you get commitment from them which also requires commitment from the organization. If Groh stalls and wants to wait to see about BB, then promote Wolf and if he stalls, then its Camren Williams.
4. That could very will be how its played out.

Kraft did say something that caught my ear and it was along the lines of evaluating who they have in the front office and then making a decision in due time. This likely would not be received as an assurance from Groh or Wolf so some damage control might be required.

I would bet that if Mayo has a stronger relationship already with one of them more than the other, then that's the stronger choice.
The decisions are going to be collaborative (not my words) so they will rely heavily on the recommendations of those people hired for their respective areas.

I think Steve Belichick at least has already committed to Mayo. I only say this because of the interviews going on. I thought it was going to be DeMarcus Covington, but since there are interviews, we can scratch his name off the list.

It might mean Brian is the DC in Atlanta or I'd bet on Matt Patricia as DC down there.

MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
Back