PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Should we consider drafting Joe Alt in the first round?

Big thick tackle, fills a hole we need on the line, and would, at least in theory, make the job of any QB we happen to have much easier.

Looking at this roster, and especially at the way Mac got hung out to dry, taking the best OL in the draft just feels like the sort of thing we need to be thinking about. Remember we're coming off a year where not just QB was garbage but so was the ground game. One or the other struggling you look at the skill players, but if both are struggling together, the reason is usually weakness in the trenches.

and a tackle that can go 1v1 against the best pass rushers and help their guards is precious to both offense and defense. Success in the trenches keeps the offense on the field and getting some sustained drives will actually make the defense play better.

Frankly I'm looking down the list of possible QBs and see some guys who could make it into the second round that I definitely like. Spencer Rattler, Michael Pratt, Jordan Travis, JMIII, all promising guys and some of them will slip down to us. Pratt and JMIII in particular look very good to me

There's nothing sacred about the first round when it comes to finding your quarterback. Hell Brock Purdy's on his way to establishing himself as a premium QB and he was literally Mr. irrelevant. Meanwhile everyone knows the value of a good line. Alt will go quickly. I want to be the team he goes to.

I'd rather have Alt leading a revamped O-line and Pratt or JMIII under center, then Drake Maye and the a la carte mess of an OL we had last year.

The point being we have options beyond the first round to fill that need at QB, and top tacklees are worth their considerable weight in gold. It's something to think about.
There is absolutely something sacred about the first round in finding your quarterback. The top quarterbacks in the league overwhelming come from the first round with few exceptions.

If you think Michael Pratt is the answer to competing with Mahomes, Allen, Burrow, etc in the AFC, power to you, I personally strongly disagree. You are nothing without a premium quarterback.

Don’t overthink this! Best QB available at three, take advantage of a deep WR class and draft in the 2nd, get best LT available in 3rd. Jacoby takes the lumps this year then further upgrade OL next offseason and rookie QB takes over.

Need another guard first don't we?

So much talk about trading back to pick up extra draft capital. But I'd prefer to see us take the QB at 3 ( maybe a slight trade to 4 or 5 for whichever wants MHJ). Then see us trade into the first round from 34 to get the best LT we can get.

100% has to be considered. MHJ and Alt are the 2 best players in the draft. He's an elite pass protector and run Blocker. CJ Stroud doesn't have that rookie season without leremy tunsil. Outside of qb, tackle is the most important position on the field in my opinion. Considering it and doing it are 2 different things tho. If pats believe in a qb at 3 they gotta pull the trigger.

I'm definitely on board the fix the line with an LT train. But I only do Alt at 3 (or 6 after a trade down) if I really don't love any of the big 3 or 4 QBs. It's too important a position. But I am 100% behind getting a LT before a WR1. WR1 is a luxury. LT is a requirement.

Not a crazy idea, the top three touted QBs could end up a bust, one could be good/great and the other two could be middling/bust and the best QB from the draft could come from the second round. The whole thing is a crapshoot.

images

It’s INSUFFERABLE that so many people are just assuming that people like Alt or Harrison are “the sure bet” unlike the risky QBs. And that is ********. Are QBs riskier? Of course. But it’s an almost infinitely more important position.

What’s worse, the danger of busting on a top 3 QB or getting a tackle or receiver who might not be quite what they project to?

You need a QB. In 2024 can spend quite literally a half decade building up the 21 other guys on the field and it doesn’t matter if the QB is just Some Guy. This most recent Super Bowl proved that so much.

****, Super Bowl 53 with Brady proved it too because it was The Guy who made the clutch throws while the Just A Guy couldn’t. Literally. Brady and Goff both played pretty damn poorly most of the game. But at the end be of the day Brady made the throw to Gronk that essentially won the game. Conversely Goff threw that pass into the end zone a smidge too slowly to a wide open Cooks which gave Jason McCourty just enough time to break it up.

The only way we trade the 3 is if we get so blown away we can’t say no. The risk of passing up a qb who turns into a top of the league player is too big.
I’m talking 11,23, 2025 first and a pro bowl caliber player . If inm mot getting that. I’m sitting atc3 and taking a qb with tremendous upside in Maye or Daniels

It’s INSUFFERABLE that so many people are just assuming that people like Alt or Harrison are “the sure bet” unlike the risky QBs. And that is ********. Are QBs riskier? Of course. But it’s an almost infinitely more important position.

What’s worse, the danger of busting on a top 3 QB or getting a tackle or receiver who might not be quite what they project to?

You need a QB. In 2024 can spend quite literally a half decade building up the 21 other guys on the field and it doesn’t matter if the QB is just Some Guy. This most recent Super Bowl proved that so much.

****, Super Bowl 53 with Brady proved it too because it was The Guy who made the clutch throws while the Just A Guy couldn’t. Literally. Brady and Goff both played pretty damn poorly most of the game. But at the end be of the day Brady made the throw to Gronk that essentially won the game. Conversely Goff threw that pass into the end zone a smidge too slowly to a wide open Cooks which gave Jason McCourty just enough time to break it up.
First I'm drafting the QB at 3.

But I don't think people are assuming the WR or Tackle won't bust. But I think they are looking at it as the 3rd best QB of the draft vs the best player at their position.

For me it comes down to if you think the 3rd QB is a reach. If you feel he's a bonified top ten prospect than you take him because there aren't always 3+ QB prospects in every draft so you might not get the chance again for awhile. And from what's been reported all year all 3 QBs fit this category.

For me it comes down to if you think the 3rd QB is a reach. If you feel he's a bonified top ten prospect than you take him because there aren't always 3+ QB prospects in every draft so you might not get the chance again for awhile. And from what's been reported all year all 3 QBs fit this category.
The big question: do you trust the Patriots staff to make that determination? I think it's a 50/50 decision. If the Patriots staff decide QB at #3 isn't worth, then by definition their trade partner believes that QB is worth it.

50/50 proposition either way. You have to feel the Vikings or the Giants are complete idiots in order to do this trade.

The big question: do you trust the Patriots staff to make that determination? I think it's a 50/50 decision. If the Patriots staff decide QB at #3 isn't worth, then by definition their trade partner believes that QB is worth it.

50/50 proposition either way. You have to feel the Vikings or the Giants are complete idiots in order to do this trade.
I see no reason not to trust Mayo and Wolf with this decision.

You know me I thought this should have been Bill but you better not have blown all that up and put guys in this position that you don't trust. They both seem more than capable to me.

Insufferable? I'm sorry but Alt and MHJ are as sure bets as you can get. To project them into the league is so much easier than the qbs. That's just an objective take. Doesn't mean there's not misses at wr and tackle it just means the pedigree that these 2 individual players MHj and Alt have combined with their skills and talents make them as surefire as it gets 100%

I see no reason not to trust Mayo and Wolf with this decision.

You know me I thought this should have been Bill but you better not have blown all that up and put guys in this position that you don't trust. They both seem more than capable to me.
I didn't say Kraft didn't trust them. He obviously does.

But the personnel people are the same who recommended Mac Jones.

I have no reason to think they're any better at this than the Vikings people. If the Vikings people are hot to trade for the QB at #3, I would be wondering, do they know anything I don't know? Or are they just fools?

It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
Back