PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Should we worry about or regret Kayshon Boutte getting cut?

I like what I’ve seen from Boutte but Giardi quoted a couple scouts yesterday that still don’t think he has the athleticism to be an nfl contributor. It’s hard to tell, obviously his testing numbers were poor, he looked good on that touchdown though. I agree that he is still in danger of getting cut.
I’ll take the football player over the track star . Like most of his DB’s through the years, Coach seems to have more success with later round draft picks or undrafted players…

Demario Douglas and Bourne can both get Special Teams snaps.
That's the most likely scenario right there. Are either of them also special teamers (punt/KO return men, etc) - signs point to yes right? While I understand the angst amongst many, it's also a chance he does get cut because this is the NFL and cuts to good players with potential happens. Still going to root for the "laundry" even if that does occur.

Gah, cut the highly respected team captain and leader because he doesn't score fantasy points. My guess is that you've always wanted to keep skill position players over any special teamer.

ah yes excellent guess, you're right ive ALWAYS wanted to keep skill position players over any special teams player... for as long as I can remember actually, all the way back to when I was a 4 year old lad sitting on grand pappys lap watching the football

great insight

Brand new assistant coaches get paid nothing, and peer leadership from actual players is essential to team cohesion. Team captains are not just honorary positions and cannot be replaced by more coaching.

he'll be getting paid nothing starting next year at 38 years old when he will surely be retired

we aren't talking about a younger version of Slater, we're talking about the 37 year old version of Slater who was on the verge of retirement last year. Losing aged leadership is a natural part of the life of a football team, new leaders need to step up and we already have a few as it is

it cant really be worse than it was last year

Come on now. You know damn well that's NOT his profile. He's a guy with 1st round talent who had complications with his ankle and with Kelly. But he stuck it out. He's not 2 years post surgery and he looks to be doing very well and rounding back into the form that had him being talking about as top talent.
I hope for the best, I never root against Patriot players even if I don’t think they’re any good. And I don’t even know if Boutte is good or bad, if his workout was not indicative of his actual athleticism then he could be better than anyone thinks.

We’ll know what the coaches think of him by how much he plays in game three of preseason. We’ll see… I’m not going to get too high or low on him.

He actually DID suddenly lose his 1st-rd traits... that's actually exactly what happened when he badly broke his ankle. I'm rooting for the Pats to keep Boutte because I want to believe in the ceiling too.

I said the same thing three times but not as eloquently as you.

I hope people can understand that Boutte was a 1st or 2nd round pick and then he broke his ankle 2 to 3 years ago. He is not the same guy so he dropped to the 6th round. Should he have been a 3rd rounder? Let's hope.

BTW I know how to make Boutte an instant success at press man coverage. Match him up against Bryant.

If the scouts don’t love him and his combine numbers are pedestrian we should cut him, as we all know they are never wrong. I mean they totally knew what a stiff Tom Brady would be

Repeating what I said in the Texans preseason postgame, on the play that Zappe hesitated on the long ball to Thornton, imho Boutte had 3rd pick overall Stingley Jr. beat on the other side (off of press) if Zappe decided to roll the dice that way, and that's before Stingley fell down. It was only one play, but it was a glimpse.

Repeating what I said in the initial post draft thread, his 48.27 400m in HS (initially thought to be 47.82 but that's Mekhi Boutte's time) tells me he potentially still has incredible speed endurance. That means he gets to retain his overall speed even after only 45-60s of rest in between each play. At crunch time, when you see guys huffing and puffing, Boutte won't need to go to the well.

Side note: fastest 400m runner in the draft this year, Derius Davis, already has a punt return TD this preseason.

Belichick is not the type of guy to keep a player based on where they are drafted after year one.

He usually goes with who he thinks will help the team most & I don’t see that being Thornton who had yet to demonstrate Tony Simmons type of production

Repeating what I said in the Texans preseason postgame, on the play that Zappe hesitated on the long ball to Thornton, imho Boutte had 3rd pick overall Stingley Jr. beat on the other side (off of press) if Zappe decided to roll the dice that way, and that's before Stingley fell down. It was only one play, but it was a glimpse.

Repeating what I said in the initial post draft thread, his 48.27 400m in HS (initially thought to be 47.82 but that's Mekhi Boutte's time) tells me he potentially still has incredible speed endurance. That means he gets to retain his overall speed even after only 45-60s of rest in between each play. At crunch time, when you see guys huffing and puffing, Boutte won't need to go to the well.

Side note: fastest 400m runner in the draft this year, Derius Davis, already has a punt return TD this preseason.
This is the first I've ever heard someone translate the 400m to football. Interesting take.

Why would we cut Boutte over Thornton if one is the better player just because of draft position?

Keeping me up at night for sure. I think he makes the team. TT is hurt and will start the season on IR.

Keeping me up at night for sure. I think he makes the team. TT is hurt and will start the season on IR.
Why is Thorton on IR for 4-6 weeks keeping you up at night?

Why is having 5 WR's on the 53 keeping you up at night? Certainly, 5 instead of 4 is an OK option.

I think K Boutte makes it Tyquan T might be on the fragile side literally and figuratively.

Why is having 5 WR's on the 53 keeping you up at night? Certainly, 5 instead of 4 is an OK option.
Just kidding. I think the consensus is 6 WR's make the team?
Hoping TT can get healthy and STAY healthy. Wish he had bulked up more during the offseason.

Just kidding. I think the consensus is 6 WR's make the team?
Hoping TT can get healthy and STAY healthy. Wish he had bulked up more during the offseason.
np

Boutte has a certain "It" factor that doesn't translate to RAS. He's physical, gets open, plays with confidence, strong hands. He's thinking TD on every play. I think he's a keepa.

Because Bill would need to keep Thornton on the 53 after cut-downs until the waiver process is completed; so there would still need to be 6 WRs on that roster before he can be placed on that specific IR list.

EDIT-EDIT-EDIT: It might not be something that's keeping anyone awake at night, but it still means that there's one less roster spot for somebody else at another position.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Back