PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Sign the Beast XL: Pats trying to trade for Philadelphia Eagles G Evan Mathis

Status
Not open for further replies.
Depending on the price, this could be a terrific deal, if it's real.

Pro Football Focus is what it is, but they had Mathis as the 7th best player in the league, period, prior to last season (and the best guard in the league every season since 2011, except last year when he was #2 due to missing time because of injury): https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2014/05/15/the-pff-101-no-7-evan-mathis/

What more is there for PFF to say about Evan Mathis? We have been banging the drum for Mathis since he was splitting time in an ill-advised rotation with Nate Livings in Cincinnati. After a healthy contract from Dallas Livings is currently out of the league while Mathis just earned his first All-Pro nomination.

It has taken a little time for people to warm to what Mathis does because he doesn’t look like Larry Allen. He’s not 330lbs and he doesn’t look like a guy who will drive his man to Nebraska on a running play, which is what people want to see from their guards. It’s why people insisted for so many years that Davin Joseph was so good even though the tape clearly showed he wasn’t – he looked like he should be. Instead, Mathis goes through each game just moving his man away from the ball carrier and opening running lanes on a consistent basis. It’s not necessarily spectacular, but it is very effective.

He has been the model of consistency at the position since getting a starting gig for the Eagles and has played his way from the veteran minimum contract to a pretty healthy money deal.

This last season he was the top-ranked guard in the league by some distance, with a run-blocking grade of+40.2, more than twice as much as the next best guard. He has the perfect combination of size, speed, athleticism and technique and that mix of skills is even more prized within Chip Kelly’s offense that requires its linemen to work well on the move and not simply move a pile in front of them.

If you ignore the stupid rating stuff, there's good analysis on that page. He's the left guard here, gets the double team and just blows up Corey Liuget and then seals off the linebacker; McCoy just makes the wrong cut.

Mathis.gif

looks too much like Russell Crowe post Gladiator....pass

I dont understand this. Iupati is 27 years old ang got less than that. Im not sold yet.

Certainly would mind us getting Mathis. Im all up for beefing up our Oline, especially the interior. But I think a FA like Wisniewski would be better (if we could get him). He's younger with his best years ahead of him, and more versatile (can play G or C) and wouldn't cost us a pick. Plus his cap hit would probably be lower for the next two years (what Mathis has remaining on his contract) Would rather use picks to trade up in draft or for a CB.

B/R Team Stream claims 5 teams in the mix, lists NE, BUF, MIN, NO, and STL as interested and MIA as a "potential suitor".

New Orleans makes NO sense, since they just traded a very good Guard away and are fielding offers for half of their roster.

The patriots need to get better and deeper on their interior OL, Mathis would be a good first step. Make the deal and then draft a couple. The Patriots are going to be tested all year long inside so they need it to be a strength.

I dont understand this. Iupati is 27 years old ang got less than that. Im not sold yet.

Iupati got over $8m a year, including $22.5m guaranteed. Apart from being paid less, Mathis is also just plain better, if older, since Iupati isn't a very good pass blocker.

B/R Team Stream claims 5 teams in the mix, lists NE, BUF, MIN, NO, and STL as interested and MIA as a "potential suitor".

NO makes NO sense, since they just traded a very good Guard away and are fielding offers for half of their roster.

There is the chip kelly - BB connection, so....

This is a huge need I really hope they get it n done.

WE need a CB.

No one is going to disagree on that but you make the deals as they are available. A high quality Guard would really really help.

BTW I'm not advocating trading a CB, I would use picks, but I really want Mathis.

@PP_Rich_Hill: “@bfs82466: @PP_Rich_Hill Savvy in what sense?” Mathis is the best G in the league and his cap hit is very minor for his production.

Reactions: TBR
This is the type of move that if we pull it off makes me want a dynamic runner, if we could sign Knighton to VW's contract last year (high value but very hard to earn) I'd be all for Gordon/Gurley with our first selection.

OL/DL/RB could be upgraded very easily with these types of moves.

All day yesterday I was half-expecting an Amendola-to-Eagles deal to be announced. Well maybe they restructured him in order to trade him?

Eagles have a big need at WR, Amendola is Bradford's boy, it makes perfect sense.

Status
Not open for further replies.

2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
Back