PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Talk Radio and the tone of discussion on NFL message boards

Right now I live far away :(
I occasionally listen to WEEI online but it is tough to do

Newsflash: A statement can be both factual and misleading at the same time. All I did was add a little context with a couple facts of my own. Is there some reason you're so afraid of having some context added? I looked up the numbers and here are some more facts:

The average length of a player's career who makes his rookie season opening day roster is 6 years (my memory was a little bit off in my original post)
1st round draft picks average over 9 years
Pro Bowlers average over 11 years

Like I said, the overall average is so low because of all the guys who just aren't good enough to play full seasons, but are needed to fill in roles here and there.
That’s why I included the stat that a third of the league is made up of UDFA’s… context.

I wasn’t starting an argument, just stating a fact…. the draft is a crapshoot.

A great career GM will have baseball stats as a drafter, if he bats 300 for his career and knocks in some runs he’ll be in the hall of fame. You need to break some eggs to make an omelette.

Here is a perfect reason you should never listen to sports radio takes. Granted no one is listening to Adam Jones anyway.

I wonder if he said the same thing about Vince Wilfork.

Here is a perfect reason you should never listen to sports radio takes. Granted no one is listening to Adam Jones anyway.

Well in that case I feel even better about the pick

I heard that and switched to see what Dbag Felger said, basically the same thing. And where does Adam Jones get that they have a bad record picking CBs? They've picked some really good corners and safeties the last few years. Just ridiculous anaylis. I switched to music the rest of the day in my car.

sports talk radio in boston is the fellowship of the miserable....they are the true massholes. there's this one doofus ,curtis, on eei every morning that sounds like eeyore and i loved wiggy with the pats but he is just a mess with a mike in front of him.

Last edited:
Sports radio is like politics radio, both are geared completely towards negativity, and they attract the most miserable like flies to ****. At this point most media is simply clickbait, be as outrageous as possible to attract attention.

Its still a free country and everyone has an opinion.

You may not like it. Too bad.

Ratings, ratings, ratings, they read Twitter and social media and play off that thinking the ratings are going to be better.

Lou Merloni left weei as he said he was tired of playing the negative villain everyday. That’s what plays well in this market, negativity over every little word or comment.

Merloni tried had at football talk, but was never really good at it. For some reason, I did not particularily enjoy his accent. I enjoy the Boston and Rhode Island accent, but Lou's voice was not that pleasant to listen to, at least for me. However he was a good guy and I was sorry to see him leave.

What an idiot.

They overpay - no good. They get a steal - no good.
Yeah, I couldn't believe my ears when listening to this rant by Adam Jones on WEEI. Only a total douche would find something bad in the Gonzales pick. Why is local sports radio turning into Felger-esque douchbaggery? One Felger is enough.

IIRC Chris Gasper was also saying that Gonzales was not a shutdown corner and was burned against 'Bama. I don't know the full story here...

Last edited:
Yeah, I couldn't believe my ears when listening to this rant by Adam Jones on WEEI. Only a total douche would find somethng bad in the Gnzo pick. He is this guy and why is local sports radio turning in Felger-esque douchbaggery?

IIRC Chris Gasper was also saying that Gonzales was not a shutdown corner and was burned against 'Bama.
All gasper did was point out gonzales’ season, where he was worse against the better teams on the schedule and awful against Georgia, while he dominated some of the lower competition

So, I'm listening to 98.5 Sportshub this morning, and there are two arguments being made.

1. In regards to Belichick's comments that he is "absolutely" as optimistic and enthusiastic about Mac Jones being his QB as he was last year at about this time, the radio host flat out said, "I don't believe him." The host then went on to say he is more than convinced that the Patriots wanted Will Levis and that if they had managed to trade up for him in the 2nd round, they would've traded Mac away. Mindboggling argument, Levis was there for the taking by the Patriots at absolutely any point. If they wanted him, they could've taken him easily. Never mind that's he's a QB that went in the 2nd round.

2. They have questions about the Gonzalez pick. Why? Because the Patriots failed with Ras-I Dowling and JoeJuan Williams. Apparently, the Patriots do not coach well when it comes to bigger CBs, it's not the skillset they look for, they want smaller shiftier CBs, and they simply can't develop the bigger ones. A weird thing to say when you dont mention Williams' speed versus Gonzalez's speed. Beyond that, the Patriots signed 2 really big CBs in the 2010s who were scuffling with their prior teams, and they resurrected their careers and made them Pro Bowlers: Aqib Talib and Stephen Gilmore. These guys became great players AFTER they signed. The narrative is questionable at best.

I don't want to go after the Patriot radio people too much because I'm sure there are examples of stirring the pot everywhere in the league. But I would argue that Patriots radio is extreme.

Over the last couple of days, I've seen posters here talk about the Bills' excellent drafting over the last several years. Which is funny to me because I'm in Buffalo and I hear the radio guys regularly blast the Bills for drafting defensive players instead of WRs, and furthermore, their defensive players simply don't pan out the way they should. The talk here is that the Bills lost in the playoffs because once Von Miller went down, they had no pressure on the QB and couldn't defend the pass. And this is despite the enormous amount of resources spent to do exactly that.

Look at the Bills' drafting under Beane:

1st: Shaq Lawson
2nd: Reggie Ragland
1st: Tre White
1st: Tremaine Edmunds
3rd: Harrison Phillips
1st: Ed Oliver
2nd: Aj Epenesa
1st: Greg Rousseau
2nd: Boogie Basham
1st: Kaiir Elam
3rd: Terrel Bernard

I mean, what happens when you spend 11 prime picks on defense in a short time span, and only 2 of them work out (Tre White and Edmunds, even though Edmunds has a lot of detractors in Buffalo)?

In New England, we talk about the Bills great drafting. In Buffalo, they talk about the extremely poor drafting by Beane and McDermott.

It really amazes me how talk radio infects and influences the minds of fans. I'm convinced that's what's happened to this board and to Twitter Patriot fans in general. The negativity is overwhelming. The 2 examples I gave above for why the Patriots are failing at the draft and why the Patriots are lying about things, they're logically absurd... but yet this is what passes so often as the truth. All this talk is TWISTED.
You sound surprised by this.
It's not news. Seriously, sports talk radio?
LMFAO. I don't know anyone who ever listens to that crap. Its for sheep

You sound surprised by this.
It's not news. Seriously, sports talk radio?
LMFAO. I don't know anyone who ever listens to that crap. Its for sheep
I emphasized this a number of times in this thread.

I wrote that they stir the pot for attention. Everyone knows this. It's why I said it.

I wrote this because stuff from talk radio is imported onto this board and on twitter and it soon dominates the discussion.

It's all over this board.

All gasper did was point out gonzales’ season, where he was worse against the better teams on the schedule and awful against Georgia, while he dominated some of the lower competition

I trust that the Patriots looked carefully at the Georgia game and were satisfied that it was an aberration of some sort. It would really suck if Forbes was the shutdown corner they needed and they muffed the chance at him by trading down...

I trust that the Patriots looked carefully at the Georgia game and were satisfied that it was an aberration of some sort. It would really suck if Forbes was the shutdown corner they needed and they muffed the chance at him by trading down...
I’m sure they did, doesn’t mean They’ll be right and the tape doesn’t mean gasper will be right. The future will tell us

I trust the coaching staff that have identified CBs and developed them to become very good players in the past.

The sports radio here in boston is almost unlistenable - hot takes and made up controversy all day long. Its super annoying.
My radio konked out when my battery died and I had to reprogram it. Afterwards I never plugged the sports talk stations back in and stick to spotify instead. I’m much happier.

Who needs the negativity, we have our own version of those guys here anyhow. You’ll find them above ^ defending these radio bildos, telling us their opinions are valid and these shock jocks are not simply trolling for views.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/8: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 5/7: News and Notes
What Did Tom Brady Say During His Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Drew Bledsoe Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast? Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Belichick Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
Monday Patriots Notebook 5/6: News and Notes
Tom Brady Sustains, Dishes Some Big Hits on Netflix Roast Special
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Back