PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Testaverde At Camp

Status
Not open for further replies.

PatsMyBoyz!

Rotational Player and Threatening Starter's Job
Reaction score
http://www.boston.com/sports/football/patriots/reiss_pieces/2007/05/vinny_time_2.html
May 22, 2007
Vinny time
As the Patriots hold a four-day passing camp this week, the team has been joined by a familiar face: Vinny Testaverde.

The veteran quarterback has not signed a contract with the club, although his locker has remained intact at Gillette Stadium. If the 43-year-old Testaverde signs on with the team for 2007, it would mark his 21st NFL season.

The Patriots have three quarterbacks on the roster at this time: Tom Brady, Matt Cassel and Matt Gutierrez.

Is he trying to break the oldest-ever NFL player record?

Who cares how old he is.

He provides a veteran leadership and is a model teammate. Great 3rd backup QB for JUST IN CASE extremes.

I'd like to see him take a knee against the Jets in the season opener.

I'm pretty sure that Theismann came in to throw for the Patriots. I think that old quarterbacks still get a thrill from being around a team (and getting to chew the fat with BB and the coaches). It wouldn't surprise me to see Flutie helping out...

Doesn't George Blanda hold that record. I think he may have played into his fifties. But he did more kicking.

Hopefully he'll help save Brady's arm,mentor Guiterrez a bit,and just contribute his overall leadership and presence. Or, maybe he's just cleaning out his locker(which happens to be right next to Moss'),a process that will likely take until February ;)
It will be interesting to see if they sign him,in which case we'd have 4 QB's.

Blanda has that title locked, at least for QB's.

Who cares how old he is.

He provides a veteran leadership and is a model teammate. Great 3rd backup QB for JUST IN CASE extremes.

I care how old he is, especially if he takes a roster spot from a player who could develop on special teams (Rogers, Bissinger, Lua, etc.)

Here is my plan:
  • Bring him to camp.
  • Cut him when 53 man rosters are announced.
  • Bring him back in November when injuries open up a roster spot.

Blanda has that title locked, at least for QB's.

I think Blanda was 48 when he was still throwing the ball for Oakland. He may have stayed around a bit longer, I dunno....

I think Blanda was 48 when he was still throwing the ball for Oakland. He may have stayed around a bit longer, I dunno....

No wonder he holds the interception record.

I care how old he is, especially if he takes a roster spot from a player who could develop on special teams (Rogers, Bissinger, Lua, etc.)

Here is my plan:
  • Bring him to camp.
That's pretty much my plan and hope to get Guttierez on the practice squad.

Here is my plan:
  • Bring him to camp.

So do you care how old he is or if he takes up a roster spot. Two different questions there.

I dont give a flying F how old he is. If this team wants a 3rd QB for whatever reason. He is the man unless Gutierrez is ridiculous.

But if it came down too Lua or Rogers or unidentified rookie standout is doing great over Testaverde then i would want the rookie too.

But if it came down too Lua or Rogers or unidentified rookie standout is doing great over Testaverde then i would want the rookie too.
That's why I would go with last year's plan - cut Vinny and go with two QB to keep whoever the young, upside "would be cut" player that the roster spot opens up for. At some point in the season we'll have a few guys on IR, every team does, and a roster spot or two will be available with just journeyman types to pick up - that's when we sign Vinny for extra protection in the playoffs.

Vinny is insurance who does not require a spot on the roster or practice squad. Of course you invite him to camp.

There's nothing more to this.

yes...shadow roster ready...I agree in camp cut and then...IF/when an opening back on the 53...ALL depending on what happens...

That's pretty much my plan and hope to get Guttierez on the practice squad.

Agreed-I really like Guiterrez' potential and want to see him stay. Cut Vinny and bring him back when we can. Best guess is that's exactly their plan.
All in all this says a lot for the Patriots' stance of welcoming guys like VT and Seau back into the fold.

Status
Not open for further replies.

2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
Back