PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Testaverde At Camp

Status
Not open for further replies.
Agreed-I really like Guiterrez' potential and want to see him stay. Cut Vinny and bring him back when we can. Best guess is that's exactly their plan.
All in all this says a lot for the Patriots' stance of welcoming guys like VT and Seau back into the fold.

I agree-Guitterez is an interesting pickup who may have a big upside; we'll just have to wait and see how and if he develops. I hope he clears to the Practice Squad as well.

I like the fact that Vinnie is around. His veteran presence can only help the younger QBs.

I think posters here are getting smart and we are understanding what Beoli methods are. Vinny is going to be the "old pro ex-starter" trained to know the playbook but safely ensconced on the shadow or "sleuth roster" until or if needed.

Gutierrez is a talented QB good enough to have won the starting position at perpetual football power Michigan. He saw it all come acropper by a labrum injury just before his first start. The rumors are that he lost something in his arm but is now two years after the injury.. He played his senior year for a terrible Idaho team and produced a mediocre stats for a very weak club.

He has the perfect credentials and "story" to let him remain on the Practice Squad as an out sized talent compared to the typical third string QB. Like Cassel, he isn't ready to play in the NFL lacking some seasoning, but if he had that experience his athletic talent would cause him to be snapped up early or more likely drafted late first day or early second.

All the Pats QBs, including Tom Brady, have ideal traingle numbers, are smart, intelligent leader types, and talented athletes with a "story". All played at big time football schools, but for one reason or another did not post extravagant stats.

Brady shared time with a high NFL draftee Drew Henson, splitting the stats. Cassel competed with but lost and sat behind Heisman winners Carson Palmer and then Lienhardt,both top ten draftees. Gutierrez won the job, then got hurt and Drew Henne took and would not yield the job. Henne will be a first round pick next draft time in 2008.

Beoli are being very cagey and I predict that Cassel is going to be a good middling starter at worst; and Gutierrez will be the best of the "third string QBs" at worst.

Make Vinny an assistant QB coach. That's basically what NE used him for last year, he just had pads on.

Here is my plan:
  • Bring him to camp.
  • Cut him when 53 man rosters are announced.
  • Bring him back in November when injuries open up a roster spot.

Good call. I'm thinking Vinny and BB have roughly the same itinerary.

Does the team have a QB coach?

No need to cut Vinny until/unless you sign him. He came to us from his couch last November, folks.

As someone else said, former QB's love to do this stuff - especially passing camps. We have several new WR candidates to get aclimated to the playbook, and only 2 QB on the roster who know it to teach it. Vinny is addicted to the game, and would likely remain available for this kind of duty into his 50's. Since he is familiar with the offense, he becomes a perfect resource and emergency shadow roster body for his friend BB.

Gutierez job this summer is to assimilate the playbook himself and hopefully show some capacity as a scout QB. If he excels he likely makes the 53. If not, he's either given a year on the PS and perhaps NFLE, or he's cut - and at that point you would consider bringing in somebody like Vinny in down the stretch. Although at this juncture Vinnie's leadership skills and affable presence likely far outweigh his capacity to step in for more than mop up duty. Better than Bingo as your emergency QB in a pinch, but probably not not that much better long term.

Hopefully we never have to find out.

• Bring him to camp.
  • Cut him when 53 man rosters are announced.
  • Bring him back in November when injuries open up a roster spot.

That's about right. The Pats need a least 4 arms at camp to get work in for everyone. But the bottom line is that the Pats will ONLY have 2 QBs on the roster come September. Guttierez will be on the PS and Vinnie will be waiting by the phone.

Troy Brown will be our third QB

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/9: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/8: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 5/7: News and Notes
What Did Tom Brady Say During His Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Drew Bledsoe Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast? Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Belichick Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
Monday Patriots Notebook 5/6: News and Notes
Tom Brady Sustains, Dishes Some Big Hits on Netflix Roast Special
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
Back