PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The 2014 Mock draft Thread.

That might be right. I tend to base my opinion on empirical data and adjust when that data adjusts. If they do draft a center with a below par VJ, I'll adjust my thinking...and hopefully not worry about the problem for a generation :)

I'd love to see a real anchor to the line, too!

Looking at Wendell, Ohrnberger, Larsen, even Koppen later in his career -- they're just not the same kind of bodies or athletes as the rest of the line. Even UDFA signings like Cave and McDonald fall short of the 28" threshold. But it's hard to put together a profile of a Pats center prospect because they just haven't drafted to the position.

Firstly, I want t apologise for putting this in the wrong thread.

Secondly I just want to point out two stats regarding Whitlock.

Remember that Whitlock is playing a NT in a 3-4 at 5'11" and 250lbs. He had 9 sacks this year and 18 tackles for loss. That's only 2 sacks less than Donald and only 10 tfl less than Donald. That's some production for a 250lb NT :eek:

Well, since you put it here...:snob:

At his pro day Whitlock put up a 4.74 forty, 43 reps, 33" VJ, and 6.90 3-cone at 260 lbs.

I can't even think of another player with that strange and remarkable collection of measurables. Worked out at FB too, and reportedly looked surprisingly good catching the ball.

At his pro day Whitlock put up a 4.74 forty, 43 reps, 33" VJ, and 6.90 3-cone at 260 lbs.

I can't even think of another player with that strange and remarkable collection of measurables. Worked out at FB too, and reportedly looked surprisingly good catching the ball.

He's very articulate and football smart on interviews. If I was to put money on prospects coming to NE, Whitlock would be right at the top of the list. I think he projects to be Bruschi-like in terms of the leadership he could bring to a locker room.

And in terms of the bench reps, there are two outliers at 51 and 49 since 1999. The next best is 45, only two more than Whitlock. Guy is as strong as a bull and could potentially be a great FB (still want to see him get some reps on defense though because he's smart too). Has quickly binky-ized himself for me.

To put this in perspective, James Develin had a 5.03 forty, 39 reps, 28.5 vert and a 7.25 3 cone.

Fresh Mock:
Needs:
TE, DE, DT, OG, RB, ILB, QB, WR
Trades:
1.29. Trade with WSH, 1.29 for 2.34, 4.102, and 2015 7th Round pick
-Pats gain extra pick in deep class and get 2015 draft pick total up to 7, WSH trades up and grabs Dennard (Alfonzo's cousin) from MSU at 29, making a quality secondary
3.71/72 Trade with either CLE or MIN for Mallett staright up,
-MIN wants a powerful armed QB while CLE has had interest in Mallett and may want to carry two starting caliber QBs according to reports, BB gains extra pick
Mock (What BB Will Do):
2.34. Xavier Su'a-Filo, OG, UCLA
2.62. Carlos Hyde, RB, Ohio State
3.71/72. Jackson Jeffcoat, DE, Texas
3.93. Kelcy Quarles, DT, SC
4.102. CJ Fiedorowicz, TE, Iowa State
4.130. Prince Shembo, OLB, ND
4.140. Matt Patchan, OT, BC
6.198. Jeremy Gallon, WR, Michigan
6.206. Kenny Guiton, QB, Ohio State
7.244. Marcel Jensen, TE, Fresno State
UDFAs: Ben Malena, RB, TAMU; Nikita Whitlock, FB, WF; Trey Hopkins, OG, Texas; Brock Vereen, SS

Mock (What I Would Do):
2.34. Jace Amaro, TE, Texas Tech
2.62. Trent Murphy, DE, Stanford
3.71/72. Will Sutton, DT, Arizona State
3.93. Devonta Freeman, RB, FSU
4.102. Arthur Lynch, TE, UGA
4.130. Aaron Murray, QB, UGA
4.140. Trey Millard, FB, Oklahoma
6.198. John Urschel, OG, PSU
6.206. Max Bullough, ILB, MSU
7.244. Jeremy Gallon, WR, Michigan
UDFAs: Connor Shaw, QB, SC; Henry Josey, RB, Mizzou; Jordan Hall, RB, Ohio State; Ben Malena, RB, TAMU; Prince-Tyson Gulley, RB, 'Cuse; Jacob Pedersen, TE, Wisconsin; Spencer Long, OG, Nebraska; Marcus Hall, OG, Ohio State; Kenarious Gates, OT, UGA; Ben Gardner, DE, Stanford; Chaz Sutton, DE, SC

Who's do you like better? I'll respond to comments and questions

My 1 Round Mock Draft and 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft.
Round 1.
1. (TRADE) Vikings- Johnny Manziel QB Texas AM traded #8,#40,#72, 2015 1st, 2015 3rd.
Vikings trade up to get their QB of the future. Manziel had a hell of a pro day.
2. Rams- Sammy Watkins WR Clemson
Rams need a weapon. The take the best WR in the draft.
3. (TRADE) Falcons- Khalil Mack OLB Buffalo traded #6, #37, #103
Falcons trade up to get who i think is the best player in this draft.
4. Browns- Blake Bortles QB UCF
Browns need a QB. Take the Best QB.
5. Raiders- Jadeveon Clowney DE South Carolina
I know people are high on this guy, I am not. He will not go number one. He doesnt have heart and takes plays off.
6. Jaguars(from Falcons)- Teddy Bridgewater QB Louisville
7. Buccaneers- Jake Matthews OT Texas AM
8. Texans(From Vikings)- Greg Robinson OT Auburn
Texans was looking to trade down. They take the best available player. Its what their GM likes to do every draft.
9. Bills- Mike Evans WR Texas AM
10. Lions- Hasean Clinton-Dix FS Alabama
11. Titans- Anthony Barr OLB UCLA
12. Giants- Taylor Lewan OT Michigan
13. (TRADE) ****riding Jets- Darqueze Dennard CB Michigan State. traded #18, #80, #115.
The Jets need a CB to replace Too many kids Cromartie and after losing out on all availabe FA CBs. I feel bad for Dennard
14. Bears- Aaron Donald DT Pittsburgh
15. Steelers-Justin Gilbert CB Oklahoma State
16. Cowboys- Louis Nix III DT Notre Dame
17. Ravens- Zack Martin OT Notre Dame
18. Rams(From Jets)- Calvin Pryor FS Louisville
19. Dolphins- Xavier Su'a-Filo OG UCLA
20. (TRADE) Bengals- Kony Ealy DE Missouri traded #24, #123, #164, 2015 3rd
Bengals lost Michael Johnson and found his replacement. Its upsetting to me since I wanted him for the Patriots.
21. Packers- Michael Sam JUST KIDDING... Eric Ebron TE UNC
22. Eagles- Marqise Lee WR USC
Eagles get DJax replacement
23. Chiefs- Odell Beckham Jr WR LSU
24. Cardinals(From Bengals)- Timmy Jernigan DT Florida State
25. Chargers- Ra'Shede Hageman DT Minnesota
Another DT I wanted, Chargers got him.
26. Browns- Ryan Shazier OLB Ohio State
Another player I wanted for the Pats.
27. Saints- Dee Ford DE Auburn
28. Panthers- Kelvin Benjamin WR Florida State
29. (TRADE) Texans- Derek Carr QB Fresno State traded #33, #141, #177, #216.
You saw this coming, Patriots trade out of the first as usual, Texans get a QB and Mallett is not traded.
30. 49ers- Brandin Cooks WR Oregon State
31. Broncos-Kyle Fuller CB Virginia Tech
32. Seahawks- Jace Amaro TE Texas Tech
Patriots 7 Round Mock Draft.
29. Traded to Texans for #33, #141, #177, #216
33. Traded to Giants for #43, #113, #152, 2015 5th
43. Austin Seferin-Jenkins TE Washington
62. Kareem Martin DE UNC
93. Deone Bucannon SS Washington State
113. Cyril Richardson OG Baylor
130. Traded to Steelers for 2015 3rd
140.(COMP) Caraun Reid DT Princeton
141. Tyler Gaffney RB Stanford
152. Traded to Buccaneers for 2015 4th
198. Tyler Larsen OC Utah State
206. Khairi Fortt OLB California
216. Colt Lyerla TE Oregon
244. Tom Savage QB Pittsburgh
Ok, ready for attacks on my mock. GO AHEAD!!

Trade Mallett to the Texans for #37 (acquired from Atlanta)
Trade #29 to the Lions for #45 and #76
Trade #37 to the Eagles for #54 and #84
Trade #93 to the Jaguars for #105 and #150

45-Austin Seferian-Jenkins, TE
54-Kareem Martin, DL
62-Dominique Easley, DL
76-Deone Bucannon, DB
84-Telvin Smith, LB
105-Lache Seastrunk, RB
130-Cody Latimer, WR
140-Bryan Stork, OL
150-Justin Ellis, DL
198-Matt Patchan, OL
206-Kadeem Edwards, OL
244-Gator Hoskins, FB

My 1 Round Mock Draft and 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft.
Round 1.
1. (TRADE) Vikings- Johnny Manziel QB Texas AM traded #8,#40,#72, 2015 1st, 2015 3rd.
Vikings trade up to get their QB of the future. Manziel had a hell of a pro day.
2. Rams- Sammy Watkins WR Clemson
Rams need a weapon. The take the best WR in the draft.
3. (TRADE) Falcons- Khalil Mack OLB Buffalo traded #6, #37, #103
Falcons trade up to get who i think is the best player in this draft.
4. Browns- Blake Bortles QB UCF
Browns need a QB. Take the Best QB.
5. Raiders- Jadeveon Clowney DE South Carolina
I know people are high on this guy, I am not. He will not go number one. He doesnt have heart and takes plays off.
6. Jaguars(from Falcons)- Teddy Bridgewater QB Louisville
7. Buccaneers- Jake Matthews OT Texas AM
8. Texans(From Vikings)- Greg Robinson OT Auburn
Texans was looking to trade down. They take the best available player. Its what their GM likes to do every draft.
9. Bills- Mike Evans WR Texas AM
10. Lions- Hasean Clinton-Dix FS Alabama
11. Titans- Anthony Barr OLB UCLA
12. Giants- Taylor Lewan OT Michigan
13. (TRADE) ****riding Jets- Darqueze Dennard CB Michigan State. traded #18, #80, #115.
The Jets need a CB to replace Too many kids Cromartie and after losing out on all availabe FA CBs. I feel bad for Dennard
14. Bears- Aaron Donald DT Pittsburgh
15. Steelers-Justin Gilbert CB Oklahoma State
16. Cowboys- Louis Nix III DT Notre Dame
17. Ravens- Zack Martin OT Notre Dame
18. Rams(From Jets)- Calvin Pryor FS Louisville
19. Dolphins- Xavier Su'a-Filo OG UCLA
20. (TRADE) Bengals- Kony Ealy DE Missouri traded #24, #123, #164, 2015 3rd
Bengals lost Michael Johnson and found his replacement. Its upsetting to me since I wanted him for the Patriots.
21. Packers- Michael Sam JUST KIDDING... Eric Ebron TE UNC
22. Eagles- Marqise Lee WR USC
Eagles get DJax replacement
23. Chiefs- Odell Beckham Jr WR LSU
24. Cardinals(From Bengals)- Timmy Jernigan DT Florida State
25. Chargers- Ra'Shede Hageman DT Minnesota
Another DT I wanted, Chargers got him.
26. Browns- Ryan Shazier OLB Ohio State
Another player I wanted for the Pats.
27. Saints- Dee Ford DE Auburn
28. Panthers- Kelvin Benjamin WR Florida State
29. (TRADE) Texans- Derek Carr QB Fresno State traded #33, #141, #177, #216.
You saw this coming, Patriots trade out of the first as usual, Texans get a QB and Mallett is not traded.
30. 49ers- Brandin Cooks WR Oregon State
31. Broncos-Kyle Fuller CB Virginia Tech
32. Seahawks- Jace Amaro TE Texas Tech
Patriots 7 Round Mock Draft.
29. Traded to Texans for #33, #141, #177, #216
33. Traded to Giants for #43, #113, #152, 2015 5th
43. Austin Seferin-Jenkins TE Washington
62. Kareem Martin DE UNC
93. Deone Bucannon SS Washington State
113. Cyril Richardson OG Baylor
130. Traded to Steelers for 2015 3rd
140.(COMP) Caraun Reid DT Princeton
141. Tyler Gaffney RB Stanford
152. Traded to Buccaneers for 2015 4th
198. Tyler Larsen OC Utah State
206. Khairi Fortt OLB California
216. Colt Lyerla TE Oregon
244. Tom Savage QB Pittsburgh
Ok, ready for attacks on my mock. GO AHEAD!!

Well done on doing the full mock. Some thoughts:

1. Clowney will not fall to #5.

2. The Bengals trade is an interesting one. Kony Ealy makes some decent sense for them.

3. If Hageman falls to 25, I want us to go up and get him.

4. From the Patriots perspective, I really like the ASJ and Caraun Reid picks and the Kareem Martin one makes sense. Almost all the picks make sense but I'm not thrilled by the Tyler Gaffney (I just don't see it on tape) or the Colt Lyerla picks (this one's been discussed to death).

Overall I think your first round is interesting and I'd like that trade for the Pats with some caveats. Good job.

Some of you guys are amazing, with all the trades. It's kinda ridiculous, but it IS what BB does. I'd love to stay where we are for once and MAKE THE DAMNED PICK. How many friggen picks do we need, not all of them are gonna make it anyway. And how many deferred picks to the following year do we need. Sometimes Quality is better than Quantity, though BB has gotten better RECENTLY at picking good players with the quantity. Other times he's failed miserably.

My latest mock using (the completely unrealistic) firstpick site.

Your Picks:
Round 1 Pick 29: Ryan Shazier, OLB, Ohio State (B+)
Round 2 Pick 30: Austin Seferian-Jenkins, TE, Washington (A)
Round 4 Pick 3 (ATL): Bryan Stork, C, Florida State (B-)
Round 4 Pick 30: Antone Exum, CB, Virginia Tech (B+)
Round 4 Pick 40 (COMP): Brandon Coleman, WR, Rutgers (B+)
Round 5 Pick 7 (ATL): Dri Archer, WR, Kent State (D+)
Round 6 Pick 6 (ATL): De'Anthony Thomas, RB, Oregon (D)
Round 6 Pick 22: Cody Latimer, WR, Indiana (A)
Round 6 Pick 30: Connor Shaw, QB, South Carolina (B-)
Round 7 Pick 5 (ATL): Gator Hoskins, FB, Marshall (B-)
Round 7 Pick 29: Aaron Colvin, CB, Oklahoma (B)

This is the ATippett56 inspired Straight Up- No Screwing Around Draft

29. DT- Louis Nix III- ND
62. TE- Troy Niklas- ND
93. C- Travis Swanson- Ark
130. RB- Andre Williams- BC
145. LB- Kevin Pierre-Louis- BC
198. RB- Rajion Neal- Tenn
206. FB- Trey Millard- Okla
244. MLB- Max Bullough- Mich St

This is the Wilfork75 (unlikely) trade and go overboard with picks draft

*Trade QB Ryan Mallett to Hou for 33*

*1(29) trade to to SF fro 2(56) + 2(61) + 7(242)*

2(33)- NT- Louis Nix III-ND
No secret I love this big guy. Irish Chocolate is the perfect replacement for big Vince

2(56)- TE- Troy Niklas- ND
Arguably the best blocking TE in the draft and huge upside. Concussion history is the biggest concern (as is him partying with Gronk)

2(61)- OG- Gabe Jackson- Miss State
I would love David Yankey to fall here but Gabe Jackson isn't a bad backup plan. I think he could be a pro bowl caliber RG in the NFL and could start from day 1 if necessary.

2(62)- Trade to Atl for 3(68) + 6(182)
Small trade down to pick up another lottery ticket in the 6th round

3(68)- C- Weston Richburg- Colorado State
I've decided Richburg is my #1 C in this draft slightly ahead of Martin. While he doesn't have the same bulk as Martin, I think he is more technical, more athletic, smarter and a better blocker at the second level. The move away form bigger DT's makes Richburg's size less of an issue.

*3(93) trade to Cle for 4(106) + 5(145) *
Move down and grab another pick

4(106)- QB- Zach Mettenberger- LSU
QB's tend to fall on draft day, just ask Matt Barkley, Ryan Nassib, Mike Glennon and Ryan Mallett. Mettenberger fits the Patriots mold as a big, strong pocket passer and has some of the best arm talent in this draft. He will fall because of the injury and really only 1 good year of tape but he could be a steal here.

4(130)- RB- Andre Williams- BC
RB is now a need, and while I have confidence in Stevan Ridley as the lead dog, we need a power back to complement him. I think Williams is the perfect Blount replacement because he is a very tough and physical runner who seems to fit the Pats mold of the one cut downhill back. He might not be the most versatile guy but he has the talent to be very good at what he does, get tough yards up the middle. A perfect complementary piece who would really add to our play action game.

4(140)- TE- Xavier Grimble- USC
A really athletic TE who could be a good receiving threat in the NFL and has the size and frame to grow into a solid blocker. I know BB doesn't draft USC guys blah blah blah but I like Grimble. Unfortunately I think he could go much higher on draft day.

5(145)- LB- Kevin Pierre-Louis- BC
It seems everyone on here want to get more athletic at LBer and KPL is a guy I think can help us with that. Unlike someone like Shazier, to me KPL is controlled athleticism and would fit very well into our defensive scheme no matter how we use him.

6(182)- RB- Rajion Neal
I know Tipp likes him too and I think Rajion Neal is the most underrated RB in this draft. He can run inside or outside, he can catch the ball out of the backfield, I've seen him split out as a receiver at times and most importantly I like the way he blocks (really good effort from what I've seen). I think he has the potential to be a starting RB in the NFL and at worst can challenge Bolden as the #4 RB and Vereen backup.

6(198)- FB- Trey Millard- Oklahoma
Love this guy, can't say anything I haven't already said. Possible redshirt for 2014.

6(206)- MLB- Max Bullough- Michigan State
I still love football players over athletes and Bullough is all football. He will fall because of character concerns (we still don't know why he was stood down by MSU) but I love this guy. Tough, instinctive leaders are always needed in the NFL.

7(242)- DE- Larry Webster- Bloomsburg
7(244)- DE- Ben Gardner- Stanford
Two lottery picks on DE's because this is a weak draft for pass rushers. Webster is the big time athlete with huge upside while Gardner is the blue collar football player with effort and heart.

Priority UDFAs
DT- Zach Kerr- Delaware
DT- Khyri Thornton- Southern Misss
DE- Terrence Fede- Marist
LB- Brock Coyle- Montana
LB/FB- Nikita Whitlock- Wake Forest
CB- Robert Nelson- Arizona State
S- Nick Williams- North Alabama- This is the guy on the list I wan't the most
S- Jonathon Dowling- Western Kentucky
OG- Chris Burnette- Georgia
OT- Cornelius Lucas- Kansas State
RB- Damien Williams- Oklahoma
RB- Brandon Bigelow- Cal
WR- Jeremy Gallon- Michigan
WR/HB- Marcus Lucas- Missouri
QB- Kenny Guiton- Ohio State

Draft Philosophy
This is a very strong draft with great depth. I would look to accumulate as many picks as possible to take chances on some lottery picks late. Hell I would love 15 picks in the last 3 rounds if I could get them. Right now I'm not concerned about the final 53 because we are still a long way away from that point and we can't predict who will get hurt, step up or disappoint. I am trying to build the best roster for camp that will eventually get us to the best 53.

Offensive Philosophy
BB always has a tendency to go against the grain and take a different approach to the rest of the league. While defenses are getting smaller, faster and focusing more on the pass, I would look to get bigger, stronger, more physical and punch defenses in the mouth. That's why I wan't a #2 TE that can block, a big power RB and a versatile FB along with a strong offensive line.

Defensive Philosophy
I believe in the NFL, no matter how much of a passing league its become you always have to stop the run first on defense. We have a potentially elite secondary that should allow us to play a lot of single safety, press man coverage, so I would look to try and stop the run with as little resources as possible to free up our LBers to make plays. If we can stop the run mainly with the front 4 and play single safety coverage at the back it offers us incredible versatility. We know how much BB loves disguise and having the options to drop LBers into coverage or better utilize the blitzing skills of guys like Hightower and Collins could create a ton of confusion for offenses. Having talented players is very difficult to stop, having talented players and a great scheme makes it almost impossible to stop.

This is the ATippett56 inspired Straight Up- No Screwing Around Draft

29. DT- Louis Nix III- ND
62. TE- Troy Niklas- ND
93. C- Travis Swanson- Ark
130. RB- Andre Williams- BC
145. LB- Kevin Pierre-Louis- BC
198. RB- Rajion Neal- Tenn
206. FB- Trey Millard- Okla
244. MLB- Max Bullough- Mich St
Love the Nix, Millard, and Bullough pick and them as prospects and players while I also like Swanson a lot yet don't see the need now. Niklas I don't "love" just yet but his pick makes obvious sense. Andre Williams can replace Blount and double-dipping at RB is interesting and possibly BB-like. One of my favorite Pats' mocks I've seen for sure.

Love the Nix, Millard, and Bullough pick and them as prospects and players while I also like Swanson a lot yet don't see the need now. Niklas I don't "love" just yet but his pick makes obvious sense. Andre Williams can replace Blount and double-dipping at RB is interesting and possibly BB-like. One of my favorite Pats' mocks I've seen for sure.

Thanks man. I still think C is a need because there are no guarantees that Wendell will make the roster. I see his deal almost as a backup plan in case we can't upgrade the position before the season. I would much prefer Marcus Martin or Weston Richburg over Swanson but the value drop off at TE after the top 4 is greater than C after the top 2 so I went the Swanson/Niklas combo over one of the top C's and a lower rated TE. I would also be happy to take a quality OG in the top 3 rounds instead of a C and possibly more Connolly back to C if necessary.

Thanks man. I still think C is a need because there are no guarantees that Wendell will make the roster. I see his deal almost as a backup plan in case we can't upgrade the position before the season. I would much prefer Marcus Martin or Weston Richburg over Swanson but the value drop off at TE after the top 4 is greater than C after the top 2 so I went the Swanson/Niklas combo over one of the top C's and a lower rated TE. I would also be happy to take a quality OG in the top 3 rounds instead of a C and possibly more Connolly back to C if necessary.
Very solid plan, either way I really do like your mock a ton, couple late round steals in Bullough and Millard and just a lot of talent. Nice job bro

That would make for one hecukva strong FB? Priority UDFA or has he worked himself into the 6th/7th round with his workouts?

1- 29 David Yankey, OG, Stanford
2 – 62 Jackson Jeffcoat, DE, Texas
3 – 93 C.J. Fiedorowicz, TE, Iowa
4 – 130 Andre Williams, RB, Boston College
4 - 140 (compensatory) Arthur Lynch TE, Georgia
6 - 198 (from Philadelphia) Kevin Pierre-Louis, LB, Boston College
6 – 206 Dri Archer, RB, Kent State
7 – 244 Maurice Alexander, SS, Utah State

No trade downs, move Connolly back to C and put Yankee at RG. Couldn't fit DT in but I think I got most other needs filled pretty well. I would probably want to trade out of 1st for better value though.

Like the Hageman pick, can get comfortable with Nix and Mosley but would prefer we go in a different direction. Hate the other two picks.

I could get comfortable with Nix a half round later. I'm not a Mosley fan. I feel like Crichton is my Trent Murphy or CJ Fiedorowicz. People say he's not athletic enough but his combine numbers are actually decent and I love his motor and tape. I understand why people don't love him but I just have this feeling he could be a Vrabel type of player for this defense. Different body type but same football smarts and versatility.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back