PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The 2014 Mock draft Thread.

Mettenberger won't go early second, but let's pretend he will. 1. He's played meaningful football in the past three years, and 2. A team can work him out physically and mentally, and if they determine he's worth a 2nd round pick, they can draft him and get him for 3 or 4 years on a rookie deal, as opposed to trading a pick for Mallett, sight unseen, and have to spend starter's money on his next contract.

I won't get into the Mallett debate because it looks like that ship has sailed, but I think you will be surprised how high Mettenberger goes. I think early 2nd is probably a conservative estimate at the moment and I think it is more likely he goes in the 1st round than the 3rd. I stated a few days ago on another thread I think Mettenberger could be the 3rd QB taken in the draft behind Bortles and Derek Carr, ahead of both Manziel and Bridgewater. He arguably has the best arm talent in the draft (along with Derek Carr) and he has the prototypical frame unlike Manziel and Bridgewater. I think he is going to be one of the late risers along with Trai Turner and Demarcus Lawrence.

Charlie Campbell at WalterFootball has a new 5 round mock out that I think most of us would be pretty happy with.

29. DE/DT- Stephon Tuitt- ND
62. TE- Jace Amaro- Texas Tech
93. OL- Cameron Fleming- Stanford (can play both OG and backup OT)
130. DT- Daniel McCullers- Tennessee
140. RB- Andre Williams- BC

I won't get drawn into the argument, we'll see down the road about Mallett because he'll be a UFA in 11 months and someone will sign him to starter's money. But he was a first round talent - Cincy came close to taking him at the top of the 2nd over Dalton - and getting into no trouble in 3 years does make a difference.

Metteberger gets a lot of talk to Minnesota in the high 2nd, we'll see if that materializes.

Yeah, I really don't want to get into the same argument I had with people concerning Rohan Davey, Brian Hoyer, and Ryan Mallett last year.

I'm not arguing nobody's going to sign him to a nice FA contract. I'm arguing that it's stupid for a GM to trade a pick for him sight unseen, and then have to re-sign him to a starters contract or else risking trading a 2nd round pick for a one-year rental without really knowing how good he's going to function. They're much better off waiting for him to hit free agency and then working him out. If they feel they want to guarantee he visits next year, they could offer a sixth or seventh round pick, but obviously that would be unacceptable from the Patriots view.

The fact that Cincy chose Dalton over Mallet (and probably the right choice) in the second, means that Mallet wasn't worth a high second to them three years ago. How can we claim he was a first round talent with a straight face? Answer: Chris Mortenson's claiming he was the best QB in the draft, his possessing a very good arm, and the fact that he's a Patriot.

I won't get into the Mallett debate because it looks like that ship has sailed, but I think you will be surprised how high Mettenberger goes. I think early 2nd is probably a conservative estimate at the moment and I think it is more likely he goes in the 1st round than the 3rd. I stated a few days ago on another thread I think Mettenberger could be the 3rd QB taken in the draft behind Bortles and Derek Carr, ahead of both Manziel and Bridgewater. He arguably has the best arm talent in the draft (along with Derek Carr) and he has the prototypical frame unlike Manziel and Bridgewater. I think he is going to be one of the late risers along with Trai Turner and Demarcus Lawrence.

It's certainly possible. He seems to be a very popular guy right now in his team visits, and I'll admit it wouldn't shock me to see him crack the "top 4". He looks the part, and it just takes one team to drool over the arm. I just see some Todd Marinovich in him A lot, actually.....as irrational as that admittedly is.

That being said, if he's there at the end of the third, I can see a Mallett-like scenario where the Patriots draft him.

Yeah, I really don't want to get into the same argument I had with people concerning Rohan Davey, Brian Hoyer, and Ryan Mallett last year.

I'm not arguing nobody's going to sign him to a nice FA contract. I'm arguing that it's stupid for a GM to trade a pick for him sight unseen, and then have to re-sign him to a starters contract or else risking trading a 2nd round pick for a one-year rental without really knowing how good he's going to function. They're much better off waiting for him to hit free agency and then working him out. If they feel they want to guarantee he visits next year, they could offer a sixth or seventh round pick, but obviously that would be unacceptable from the Patriots view.

The fact that Cincy chose Dalton over Mallet (and probably the right choice) in the second, means that Mallet wasn't worth a high second to them three years ago. How can we claim he was a first round talent with a straight face? Answer: Chris Mortenson's claiming he was the best QB in the draft, his possessing a very good arm, and the fact that he's a Patriot.
So many things I could say but I'm dropping out of this as it can go forever. Doesn't mean you're right though. It is what it is. Unfortunately we'll likely never know what offers were or weren't made unless one is actually accepted.

So many things I could say but I'm dropping out of this as it can go forever. Doesn't mean you're right though. It is what it is. Unfortunately we'll likely never know what offers were or weren't made unless one is actually accepted.

Saying we agree to disagree is an under-used and under-appreciated practice.

I agree with you and would add Cassel must factor in for GMs as well.

Charlie Campbell at WalterFootball has a new 5 round mock out that I think most of us would be pretty happy with.

29. DE/DT- Stephon Tuitt- ND
62. TE- Jace Amaro- Texas Tech
93. OL- Cameron Fleming- Stanford (can play both OG and backup OT)
130. DT- Daniel McCullers- Tennessee
140. RB- Andre Williams- BC

I don't really like this draft. I've watched Tuitt tape from both 2012 and 2013 and I just don't see the plays others do apparently. I think his best position will be as a DE in a 3-4 and we don't run that. In many ways he reminds me a bit of Hightower the year we took him. He played at a decent level but nothing he did wowed me at all. I didn't see the difference making plays that you expect from a 1st round picks and I think that will prove to be the case with Tuitt.

I don't really like Amaro either. He's essentially a big slot receiver. If we're going to take a TE I want a dual threat player. We may as well take one of the more dynamic WRs at 62 if all we are getting is a slot guy. If Niklas's health checks out I'd much prefer him as a pure TE.

Fair enough. My viewpoint is pretty well known, and usually I don't comment anymore on the mocks that have a Mallett trade in them, or at least not on that part of it. I mentioned it this time because that mock draft left us without a backup quarterback. I would like to think that if someone is prepared to draft Mallett that they would draft or sign a QB to replace him.

I mentioned it this time because that mock draft left us without a backup quarterback. I would like to think that if someone is prepared to draft Mallett that they would draft or sign a QB to replace him.
I think it's safe to say that we'll be drafting a QB with or without Mallett. In fact I would be drafting a QB inside the top four rounds every year now until one wows the team once they're in the building and has been decided to be "The Replacement".

I agree with you and would add Cassel must factor in for GMs as well.

Scott Pioli undermined Cassel from day one by screwing up the HC hire. It's not exactly a coincidence that he made the Pro Bowl playing for Charlie Weis in 2010 and then regressed in 2011 after Haley drove Weis off.

Here's Kiper's Grade A mock, in which he makes each selection as if he were making it for each team:

2014 NFL draft - Mel Kiper's 'Grade A' mock pick-by-pick - ESPN

My top 2 offensive players at #29 - Eric Ebron & Zack Martin, top DLman - Aaron Donald, top 2 LBs -
CJ Mosely & Anthony Barr, and top 2 Safeties - HahHah and Calvin Pryor, are all gone.
Among those left are DLmen Hageman, Jernigan, Tuitt & Nix, LBs Shazier & Van Noy, and OLmen
Yankey & Bitonio. Kiper picks Jernigan; I pick Shazier.

At 61, Kony Ealy and Dominique Easley are both still available. Kiper picks…a RB. Massive Fail.

At 93, Kiper picks C/G Weston Richburg; though he represents good value here, I might've gone
with TE Troy Nicklas instead. My top target on defense in Round 3, SS Deone Bucannon, was
already taken.

Here's Kiper's Grade A mock, in which he makes each selection as if he were making it for each team:

2014 NFL draft - Mel Kiper's 'Grade A' mock pick-by-pick - ESPN

My top 2 offensive players at #29 - Eric Ebron & Zack Martin, top DLman - Aaron Donald, top 2 LBs -
CJ Mosely & Anthony Barr, and top 2 Safeties - HahHah and Calvin Pryor, are all gone.
Among those left are DLmen Hageman, Jernigan, Tuitt & Nix, LBs Shazier & Van Noy, and OLmen
Yankey & Bitonio. Kiper picks Jernigan; I pick Shazier.

At 61, Kony Ealy and Dominique Easley are both still available. Kiper picks…a RB. Massive Fail.

As much as I like Shazier and Hageman there, if Nix is sitting at 29, I'm not sure we pass him up. I'm thinking a massive middle of the 4-3. There was Williams and Williams in Minnesota, Adams and Ngata in Baltimore, and potentially Wilfork and Nix in New England.

In sub, one or both of the Ch Jones brothers comes in for the pass rush.

Likewise, I'm not a huge Ealy fan, but at 61, I find it hard to believe there will be a better player on the board. I understand he's falling as of late...but if Mel's right on this, damn.

Trade #29 to the Cardinals for #52, #84, and #120

52-Joel Bitonio, OL (#50)
62-Dominique Easley, DL (#60)
84-Marcus Smith, DL (#81)
93-C.J. Fiedorowicz, TE (#105)
120-Brandon Thomas, OL (#119)
130-Christian Jones, LB (#123)
140-Cody Latimer, WR (#171)
198-Antone Exum, DB (#189)
206-Kevin Pierre-Louis, LB (#204)
244-Logan Thomas, QB/TE (#258)

1 - DL - Stephon Tuitt - I think he can play DE in any defense and DT in 4-3
2 - DL - Dominique Easkey - For Mayoclinic - but I like the pick here anyway
3 - TE - C.J. Fiedorowicz - No choice, later TE made me want to puke
4a - WR - Brandon Coleman - Had to get a Rutgers guy, think we'll draft a WR
4b - C - Jonotthan Harrison - Seems like a Patriots type interior lineman
6a - LB - Jordan Tripp - Fletcher type replacement
6b - QB - Jeff Mathews - We'll take a QB, don't need to take one high just yet
7 - RB - Stephon Houston - Can't get past his workout numbers

I think we'll take a WR higher, this is what I would do not what I think.

Trade #29 to the Cardinals for #52, #84, and #120

52-Joel Bitonio, OL (#50)
62-Dominique Easley, DL (#60)
84-Marcus Smith, DL (#81)
93-C.J. Fiedorowicz, TE (#105)
120-Brandon Thomas, OL (#119)
130-Christian Jones, LB (#123)
140-Cody Latimer, WR (#171)
198-Antone Exum, DB (#189)
206-Kevin Pierre-Louis, LB (#204)
244-Logan Thomas, QB/TE (#258)

Extremely nice group of players, but I personally think those CBS Sports rankings are so far off as to be essentially worthless.

As much as I like Shazier and Hageman there, if Nix is sitting at 29, I'm not sure we pass him up. I'm thinking a massive middle of the 4-3. There was Williams and Williams in Minnesota, Adams and Ngata in Baltimore, and potentially Wilfork and Nix in New England.

In sub, one or both of the Ch Jones brothers comes in for the pass rush.

Likewise, I'm not a huge Ealy fan, but at 61, I find it hard to believe there will be a better player on the board. I understand he's falling as of late...but if Mel's right on this, damn.

I'm with you on Ealy. I just don't see his 3 cone time on tape, outside of the 1st step.

And if I'm New England I'd see if I could sweeten the pot slightly by adding Amendola like we added Vrabel to Cassell.

I hate to play Johny Cold Water, Brother BillFan, but I should point out that I believe ~ though this is just Speculation on my part, mind you ~ that Vrabel wasn't a "Sweetener", but was at most a "GiveAway."

He was fading rapidly at that point and had a moderately bloated Salary, you see. He was 34 and had but 2 more Sacks in his Future. I got the distinct impression ~ abetted by a rumor that the Falcons had actually offered #33 for Mallett, one Pick better than what we actually got from the Chiefs ~ that it was in fact a "Salary Dump", made with possibly the only potential Trade Partner that could justify retaining Vrabel's disproportionately large Salary, to be a Mentor while they installed their new System.

I'm just speculating about all that, but I'm confident that he wasn't a Sweetener.

And there's no way in Hell that anyone would consider Amendola ~ who anyone could've outbid us for, one more injury-riddled Year ago ~ an enticement to complete a Trade. Quite the opposite. :nono:

Scott Pioli undermined Cassel from day one by screwing up the HC hire. It's not exactly a coincidence that he made the Pro Bowl playing for Charlie Weis in 2010 and then regressed in 2011 after Haley drove Weis off.

Excellent Point, one that can never be overstated!! :rocker:

That is something that goes widely unremembered is that Cassell struggled in a new offense in 2009 after being traded but was very good in 2010. I think it was a combination of three OCs in 3 seasons, a horrific OL, injuries, and of course his own fans cheering him being down that led to Cassell never panning out.

For what it’s worth, the Chiefs got the best of the Cassell trade, we ended up with Pat Chung, I would rather have a solid NFL QB like Cassell than a depth safety any day of the week.

2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
Back