PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The 2016 NFL Mock Draft Thread

manxman2601

PatsFans.com Retired Jersey Club
Reaction score
All-too depressing. But nevertheless, place your mocks here.

Here's my first based purely upon names that have intrigued me at this very very early stage.

1. Forfeited

2. Joshua Garnett OG Stanford

Still think LG could be a hole this time next year. Garnett is a typical Stanford mauler.

3. DJ Foster RB/WR Arizona State

Shane Vereen Mk II. 1,000 yds on the ground last year and 700 in the air. Has never gone under 500 yards receiving whilst playing as a RB but will be lined up all over the field this year. Genuine all-purpose offensive weapon. Has Vereen's build and athleticism.

3. (Revis) Robert Aguayo K FSU

Gostkowski doesn’t come cheap anymore and Aguayo is supposedly one of the best kickers to come out in years. Seems like an ideal time to make the switch.

4. Desmond King CB Iowa

Will need to look at his speed and coverage ability a bit more but King is a CB with good size who plays physically in press and hits like a train. Outstanding run support CB who LOVES to hit.

5. Willie Beavers OT Central Michigan or Jason Spriggs OT Indiana

Two under the radar OTs getting positive comments early in the draft process. Both are a little light at just over 300lbs but both are of good size at 6-5/6-6. Vollmer needs a long-term replacement and I don’t know what will happen with Solder.

6. Briean Boddy-Calhoun CB Minnesota

A little undersized at 188lbs and missed all last year. However, Calhoun is, by all accounts, a very loose hipped CB. A long-term nickel guy?

6. (Wilfork) ??

6. (Vereen) ??

7. ??

7. (Mallett) ??

I don't know a lot about most of these guys but DJ Foster was someone that really intrigued me last year - I think he's a great Patriots fit. LG, RT and CBx2 sounds about right though.

With the first Big Board out from CBS, I'm going to have another go at a mock.

1. Forfeited

2. Kendell Beckwith, LB, LSU

Have yet to watch him but I'm reading some positive stuff. With Mayo likely gone long-term for money/injury reasons and Collins/Hightower both needing to be renewed, some linebacker insurance is needed. By the by, early on, this looks like a great linebacker class, especially if Ohio State's Darron Lee declares.

3. Briean Boddy-Calhoun, CB, Minnesota

My early candidate for "perfect Patriot". Minnesota play a lot of man coverage in their defensive scheme and this guy is smart and a leader. An ideal slot corner that could also play CB #2.

3. (Comp) Alex Collins, RB, Arkansas

Steven Ridley MkII. Quick feet inside with the strength to bowl over defenders.

4. Eric Murray, CB, Minnesota (Or Taveze Calhoun, CB, Miss St.)

Both are 6' press corners although Murray has the slightly better size at 196lbs to Calhoun's 185. Adding Murray (or Calhoun) and Boddy-Calhoun to Darryl Roberts and Malcolm Butler rebuilds the CB corps in the same way the interior OL has been rebuilt.

5. Braxton Miller, WR, Ohio State

Urban says he could be the next Percy Harvin. Regardless, if Miller can prove he can catch then he becomes a potentially exciting weapon that you can use out of the backfield as an occasional runner, on sweeps, reverses and screens and as a WR too. Another Julian Edelman. And let's not forget, BB made an attempt to sign Harvin this year.

6. Stephane Nembot, OT, Colorado

Nembot is RT from the Cameroon that came to the game fairly late. He's 6'7, 323lbs and it's almost all muscle. I've not seen any athletic numbers but his high school tape shows him kicking off and then chasing down his own kick inside the opposition 10 yard line so I'm making the assumption that he's pretty athletic for someone of his size.

6. (Comp) Corey Robinson, WR, Notre Dame

He's 6'5" and 210 lbs and whilst he's not especially fast (4.6), he catches the ball away from his body and has excellent body control for his size and those are two traits I look for in a WR.

6. (Comp) Montese Overton, LB, ECU

He's a 6'3" 221lb linebacker so I wonder how he'd be used but he's reportedly run a 4.3 forty and a 3.97 short shuttle. So what the heck, I'm drafting him.

7. (Mallett) ??

7. ??

I'd have loved to add Arkansas TE Hunter Henry, Washington RB Dwayne Washington and possibly Even Engram but this will do for now.

IDK the names yet

I'll in order of my priorities and nothing else

#64 (yeah baby! back to back!) - 2nd CB - Even if Brown works out i see him as a 1 year rental who will want to get paid next year and you don't want to depend on Roberts. Also could always use more depth

#96 - 3rd WR - Amendola goes I think Unless he takes a pay cut again

3rd comp - 3rd LB - Mayo goes sadly... but with how much we use nickle the 3rd LB spot is not as important as they other 2 above

4th - DL - Could always use more DL help.

And i'll stop there.

Rnd 1 (Stolen)

Rnd 2

Jonathan Bullard, Florida, DE

What! Another D Lineman? Yup. Bullard strikes me as an ideal lineman for BB on our defense. He’s 6’4” and approx 280lbs, plays 3-4 DE, LDE and the 3-tech so his versatility is a win for BB and he’s an outstanding run defender and edge setter (PFF grade him the best EDGE run defender in CFB currently). And he’s no slouch athletically - a 4.66 forty apparently. Another defensive lineman wouldn’t normally be my first choice here, but I can see Bullard’s skill set appealing to BB.

Rnd 3

Jayron Kearse, S, Clemson

This will probably end up being an optimistic projection as 6’5”, 220b safeties that can play don’t come around too often but at his stage, why not? I don’t think BB is matching the Seahawks scheme entirely step for step but I do think there’s similarities between our scheme and theres. Kearse will be an ideal guy to be that pass disruptor in the middle of the field and someone who could lay some wood on teams entering his zone. I’m not saying Kearse is the next Kam Chancellor, but I do think he could be effective in a similar role. And having Kearse policing the centre of the field would give Patricia/BB much more scope to be even more aggressive with Jamie Collins.

Rnd 3 (Comp)

Braxton Miller, WR, Ohio State

One of the most dynamic footballers in CFB. Might need some development time but his upside is huge. Braxton Miller, Julian Edelman and Dion Lewis on the field at the same time would be really exciting.

Rnd 4

Eric Murray, CB, Minnesota

Excellent size and physicality for a press-man corner and plays in a physical press-man scheme much like our own. Have him battle Darryl Roberts/Tarrell Brown? for that #2 spot.

Rnd 5 (To Texans)

Rnd 6 (From Texans)

Jerrell Adams, TE, S Carolina

Adams is a 6-6, 230b TE that runs in the 4.6s - a real threat as a Flex TE. Hasn’t been huge in the stats department for S Carolina but the potential is there.

Rnd 6 (To Bears)

Rnd 6 (Comp)

Jonathan Williams, RB, Arkansas

Out for the year, Williams started the season as one of the top Senior RBs and his injury could lead to tremendous value being available with this pick. BB has been looking for that 220+ RB in his pre-draft visits and Williams fits that.

Rnd 6 (Comp)

Daniel Braverman, WR, Western Michigan

Assuming Amendola won’t be a Patriot next year, Braverman is a like for like replacement. He has the most receptions in CFB so far this year and is 4th in yardage.

Rnd 6 (Comp)

Stephane Nembot, OT, Colorado

He needs work but this 6’7” RT has a ‘planet’s” worth of potential (planet theory metaphor there).

Rnd 7 (From Texans)

Noah Spence, EDGE, Eastern Kentucky

A Dennard pick? Spence has genuine character concerns but as a pass rusher, he can really play. an @mayoclinic favourite from last year.

Rnd 7

Josh Forrest, LB, Kansas

With previous experience at WR and DB, it’s no surprise that Forrest is one of the better pass defending linebackers in college football, more than capable of covering a RB man to man in space. And at 250lbs, he fits BB’s size requirement for the position. However, Forrest does need to get more physical in the run game to have a chance to make our roster. Special teamer, potential sub-package linebacker and back of the roster guy for now.

This mock might be short on definite starters but that's what happens when we're not picking before the end of the second round. However, there's a bunch of upside in the likes of Kearse, Miller, Spence, Adams and Nembot whilst Bullard, Eric Murray and Braverman add excellent depth. However, almost everyone on this mock has potential starter upside.

Okay about a quarter into the season.

I think the needs are in order #2 CB, #3 CB, back up LB, 4th DT, OT back up

On offense

I think the interior OL is set with Jackson/Mason/Kline/Stork/Andrews. OT makes me worried a bit worried and I would like to get a quality player there that is better than Cannon to back it up.

I don't think TE is an issue. I don't think RB will be an issue. 3rd WR will be only if Amendola leaves but I think he will redo his deal and stay. I think he likes it here.

On defense

The DEs next year are set even if Chandler or Nink leave. Sheard is a keeper and I have confidence Flowers/Grissom can do well behind whoever the starters are. DT is young and I think Brown will turn into a player as will Easley who has flashed & Siliga is solid too. IDK if Branch/Hicks are here next year but it is something I think could be looked out as a later pick.

Safeties are set. I like Chung/Harmon/McCourty/Richards. I think they are going to be a very good diverse group.

Your keeping Collins/Hightower. The 3rd guy is important as a backup and rotation player and Mayo is gone i think for sure and I don't believe Boastic is the answer likely.

CB is going need some help. Butler is good but Brown might just be a 1 year rental and Ryan/Coleman are not guys I believe in.

#2 - Zach Sanchez - CB - A CB with a lot of upside. Needs to put on a little weight but i like him.

#3 Kyle Murphy - OT - With Vollmer getting older and Solder on a short term deal this is a move with a look towards the future. He is 6'7 and 300 lbs so needs to put on some weight but has the frame to do it.

#3comp - Joshua Perry - LB - A solid tackler with the size and length BB likes in LBs. Very smart and coaching and i feel his talent is underrated which will allow him to fall.

#4 Fabian Moreau - CB - recently injured but talented man CB and has a good amount of college starter experience. If he falls this far you need to pick him up.

I'll stop here.

I think Amendola stays and don't feel a need to do anything with the offense besides maybe inject a OT for future considerations. On D gives the CB spot an injection and add a LB for depth.

@manxman2601 Braxton Miller is this years binky huh?

Hope your right on this one 2 man!

Early days, but yes, he, Myles Jack (I know it's a pipe dream) and Eric Murray are my early binkies. I just think Miller is an ideal development prospect for the Patriots. Might be what others thought Cordarelle Patterson was going to be.

Okay about a quarter into the season.

I think the needs are in order #2 CB, #3 CB, back up LB, 4th DT, OT back up

On offense

I think the interior OL is set with Jackson/Mason/Kline/Stork/Andrews. OT makes me worried a bit worried and I would like to get a quality player there that is better than Cannon to back it up.

I don't think TE is an issue. I don't think RB will be an issue. 3rd WR will be only if Amendola leaves but I think he will redo his deal and stay. I think he likes it here.

On defense

The DEs next year are set even if Chandler or Nink leave. Sheard is a keeper and I have confidence Flowers/Grissom can do well behind whoever the starters are. DT is young and I think Brown will turn into a player as will Easley who has flashed & Siliga is solid too. IDK if Branch/Hicks are here next year but it is something I think could be looked out as a later pick.

Safeties are set. I like Chung/Harmon/McCourty/Richards. I think they are going to be a very good diverse group.

Your keeping Collins/Hightower. The 3rd guy is important as a backup and rotation player and Mayo is gone i think for sure and I don't believe Boastic is the answer likely.

CB is going need some help. Butler is good but Brown might just be a 1 year rental and Ryan/Coleman are not guys I believe in.

#2 - Zach Sanchez - CB - A CB with a lot of upside. Needs to put on a little weight but i like him.

#3 Kyle Murphy - OT - With Vollmer getting older and Solder on a short term deal this is a move with a look towards the future. He is 6'7 and 300 lbs so needs to put on some weight but has the frame to do it.

#3comp - Joshua Perry - LB - A solid tackler with the size and length BB likes in LBs. Very smart and coaching and i feel his talent is underrated which will allow him to fall.

#4 Fabian Moreau - CB - recently injured but talented man CB and has a good amount of college starter experience. If he falls this far you need to pick him up.

I'll stop here.

I think Amendola stays and don't feel a need to do anything with the offense besides maybe inject a OT for future considerations. On D gives the CB spot an injection and add a LB for depth.

I really like Joshua Perry but I suspect he'll end up as a potential 1st round linebacker, 2nd at latest. I'd take him at 64 if he was there.

All-too depressing. But nevertheless, place your mocks here.

Here's my first based purely upon names that have intrigued me at this very very early stage.

1. Forfeited

2. Joshua Garnett OG Stanford

Still think LG could be a hole this time next year. Garnett is a typical Stanford mauler.

3. DJ Foster RB/WR Arizona State

Shane Vereen Mk II. 1,000 yds on the ground last year and 700 in the air. Has never gone under 500 yards receiving whilst playing as a RB but will be lined up all over the field this year. Genuine all-purpose offensive weapon. Has Vereen's build and athleticism.

3. (Revis) Robert Aguayo K FSU

Gostkowski doesn’t come cheap anymore and Aguayo is supposedly one of the best kickers to come out in years. Seems like an ideal time to make the switch.

4. Desmond King CB Iowa

Will need to look at his speed and coverage ability a bit more but King is a CB with good size who plays physically in press and hits like a train. Outstanding run support CB who LOVES to hit.

5. Willie Beavers OT Central Michigan or Jason Spriggs OT Indiana

Two under the radar OTs getting positive comments early in the draft process. Both are a little light at just over 300lbs but both are of good size at 6-5/6-6. Vollmer needs a long-term replacement and I don’t know what will happen with Solder.

6. Briean Boddy-Calhoun CB Minnesota

A little undersized at 188lbs and missed all last year. However, Calhoun is, by all accounts, a very loose hipped CB. A long-term nickel guy?

6. (Wilfork) ??

6. (Vereen) ??

7. ??

7. (Mallett) ??

I don't know a lot about most of these guys but DJ Foster was someone that really intrigued me last year - I think he's a great Patriots fit. LG, RT and CBx2 sounds about right though.
Well I can't say I've ever seen someone honestly advocate taking a kicker in the third but I suppose we did just take a long snapper in the fifth.

Well I can't say I've ever seen someone honestly advocate taking a kicker in the third but I suppose we did just take a long snapper in the fifth.

CBS currently have him graded in the 3rd round so, at least at this stage, it was a fairly accurate grade which makes me feel okay about it. Of course, this was before we extended Ghost, who was taken in the 4th round by the by.

CBS currently have him graded in the 3rd round so, at least at this stage, it was a fairly accurate grade which makes me feel okay about it. Of course, this was before we extended Ghost, who was taken in the 4th round by the by.

I think 3rd round for Aguayo is definitely realistic. With the horrendous performance by kickers so far this year I wouldn't be surprised if he went in the 2nd round. As you said we extended Ghost which really ends him as an option, but if we didn't I would have been all aboard the Aguayo bandwagon, he is a beast.

Early days, but yes, he, Myles Jack (I know it's a pipe dream) and Eric Murray are my early binkies. I just think Miller is an ideal development prospect for the Patriots. Might be what others thought Cordarelle Patterson was going to be.

Myles Jack is probably my favorite player in this entire draft, and I'd have a faint hope of us being able to draft him, if we had our 1st round pick. However, with guys like Gurley churning out major production post-injury, I'd say Jack will likely go top 15. Imagine a LB crew of Hightower, Collins, and Jack.....unreal.

Myles Jack is probably my favorite player in this entire draft, and I'd have a faint hope of us being able to draft him, if we had our 1st round pick. However, with guys like Gurley churning out major production post-injury, I'd say Jack will likely go top 15. Imagine a LB crew of Hightower, Collins, and Jack.....unreal.

I drool at the very thought. i realise its a pipe ream unfortunately. I just hope he goes to the NFC (and not to the Cards or Seahawks).

I drool at the very thought. i realise its a pipe ream unfortunately. I just hope he goes to the NFC (and not to the Cards or Seahawks).

I hope the Rams pick him up. I've loved their drafting over the past few years, and think a lineup of Jack, Laurinitis, and Ogletree would be a nice fit. Not quite as perfectly suited for their roles as the prospective Patriots' lineup, but very nice.

I hope the Rams pick him up. I've loved their drafting over the past few years, and think a lineup of Jack, Laurinitis, and Ogletree would be a nice fit. Not quite as perfectly suited for their roles as the prospective Patriots' lineup, but very nice.

I've liked their drafting too - I was a big fan of Ogletree. If I had to guess right now, I'd consider the 49ers, Chargers (Te'o hasn't worked out) or the Seahawks.

I've liked their drafting too - I was a big fan of Ogletree. If I had to guess right now, I'd consider the 49ers, Chargers (Te'o hasn't worked out) or the Seahawks.

The 49ers seem like a solid bet, though their draft position is entirely too high for Jack at the moment....however, I think top ten is too high for most prospects, lol. The Seahawks getting him would be an embarrassment of riches for that team. They've hit home runs on a lot of picks. Adding Jack after an off year would be something.

Jayron Kearse, S, Clemson

This will probably end up being an optimistic projection as 6’5”, 220b safeties that can play don’t come around too often but at his stage, why not? I don’t think BB is matching the Seahawks scheme entirely step for step but I do think there’s similarities between our scheme and theres. Kearse will be an ideal guy to be that pass disruptor in the middle of the field and someone who could lay some wood on teams entering his zone. I’m not saying Kearse is the next Kam Chancellor, but I do think he could be effective in a similar role. And having Kearse policing the centre of the field would give Patricia/BB much more scope to be even more aggressive with Jamie Collins.

You've captured my interest with this player/pick. I watched some videos of him the other day, and came away impressed. Highlight videos that is. I haven't seen the bloopers reel yet.

I am ignorant on him as a prospect, how is his coverage ability as a whole? At that size he'd be an amazing prospect if he could cover mid field. That'd be a prospect I'd like more than Chancellor to be truthful.

You've captured my interest with this player/pick. I watched some videos of him the other day, and came away impressed. Highlight videos that is. I haven't seen the bloopers reel yet.

I am ignorant on him as a prospect, how is his coverage ability as a whole? At that size he'd be an amazing prospect if he could cover mid field. That'd be a prospect I'd like more than Chancellor to be truthful.

I've just downloaded some Clemson games so I'll be able to comment in a week or two. However, as he's a junior, I might just wait until we know whether he's declared in January. Clemson have two other really interesting defensive prospects, who are also juniors, in Mackenzie Alexander (a CB) and Shaq Lawson (A DE).

The other issue with a SS is that we have Patrick Chung and Jordan Richards playing that role so it's not really that big a need. In fact, following on from my response to you about Amukamara, there aren't many needs at all, particularly if they do sign a vet FA at CB.

EG:

• Let Mayo go (Bostic is signed through 2016)
  • Keep Amendola
  • Sign Amukamara
  • Re-sign Hicks and Develin
What is there that is definitely needed after that? A RB or two for sure, maybe a RT, maybe a move TE, maybe an athletic linebacker. Aside from that, there's not really any other obvious holes.

I've just downloaded some Clemson games so I'll be able to comment in a week or two. However, as he's a junior, I might just wait until we know whether he's declared in January. Clemson have two other really interesting defensive prospects, who are also juniors, in Mackenzie Alexander (a CB) and Shaq Lawson (A DE).

The other issue with a SS is that we have Patrick Chung and Jordan Richards playing that role so it's not really that big a need. In fact, following on from my response to you about Amukamara, there aren't many needs at all, particularly if they do sign a vet FA at CB.

EG:

• Let Mayo go (Bostic is signed through 2016)
  • Keep Amendola
  • Sign Amukamara
  • Re-sign Hicks and Develin
What is there that is definitely needed after that? A RB or two for sure, maybe a RT, maybe a move TE, maybe an athletic linebacker. Aside from that, there's not really any other obvious holes.

To be honest, I'm never going to be sold on Chung. I think his play this year has been solid so far, but when is that ugly coverage monster of his going to show up again? I love him as a Patriot, he really fits the bill, but I cringe at his pass coverage liabilities presenting themselves at the wrong time.

Thankfully, we are short on glaring needs, so reinforcing the roster is our only concern, if we happened to get a guy like Prince that is. Having said that, SS might be the most significant of our concerns really. We've got surefire starters entrenched at pretty much every other position, other than possibly RB. We've got it pretty good actually, if we can just stay healthy.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Back