PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The Krafts are relentless in their assault on Belichick's coaching.

It depends on what you define as "development."

Coaching position drills and teaching offensive schemes is a basic form of development. Strength and conditioning is also a form of development. All rookies and veterans go through these basic coaching routines just like they did from peewee, through HS, and college. Nobody is teaching these college players how to play football that they've been playing all their lives. Every player has to learn the O or D scheme of the new team they arrive to play for. All of this requires S&C coaches, positional coaches, coordinators, etc.

None of that turns a player like Tom Brady into the GOAT anymore than brushing his teeth every morning does. Tom had intangibles that can't be taught. His clutchness, commitment, dedication, effort, leadership, heart is what made him the GOAT. Those qualities were formed well before he arrived at Foxboro.

Did Belichick teach him things he didn't know? Of course. Did he and his QB/OCs teach him schemes he didn't know. Yes they did. But that's no different than they do for every other player. Why are there bad players, good players, elite players, and Goats? What differentiates these players when they all get the same coaching (development)? It's the ingrained, natural talent they were born with.

You look at a guy like AB, a nut case, but the dude is a phenom, a natural, a freak. Dude could've been a top 10 all-time receiver had he not sabotaged himself. You can't teach that!
You do make good points. I guess then you believe it really wouldn’t matter where Brady got drafted he would have won easily at least 7 big ones? … I tend to disagree.

By 2003 Brady was already self-made. Brady avidly studied film and had a high football intelligence. Sure, when he first came into the league he needed development like any other player does, but you can't develop heart, clutchness, or the IT factor he had. No more than Bill developed LT. There's a handful of players that just have talent that you can't teach.

Bubble screens, lol.

Not gonna lie … got a little amped up watching that

You do make good points. I guess then you believe it really wouldn’t matter where Brady got drafted he would have won easily at least 7 big ones? … I tend to disagree.
Not saying that because it also depends on the team. Tom didn't win it all by himself. Belichick obviously contributed. The other players all played their part. It's a team sport. QB is the most important position on the entire team. Everyone knows that. Winning is extremely hard. Ask Shanahan. It's incredible what the Patriots accomplished in those 18 years. Tom was a big part of it. Bill was also a part of it, but imo, not as big as Tom's (we can argue on the %). Even Kraft played a small but important part (keeping it all together).

But I have zero doubts that Tom would've been a multi-SB winner. How many? Who knows. Likely, at least as many as Montana.

1000000347.png

Congratulations you have zero comprehension skills.

Not saying that because it also depends on the team. Tom didn't win it all by himself. Belichick obviously contributed. The other players all played their part. It's a team sport. QB is the most important position on the entire team. Everyone knows that. Winning is extremely hard. Ask Shanahan. It's incredible what the Patriots accomplished in those 18 years. Tom was a big part of it. Bill was also a part of it, but imo, not as big as Tom's (we can argue on the %). Even Kraft played a small but important part (keeping it all together).

But I have zero doubts that Tom would've been a multi-SB winner. How many? Who knows. Likely, at least as many as Montana.
If we could believe counterfactuals Frank Frink would have been shot in the head by Joe Blake and/or America would have won the war. Sorry, I've been rewatching "The Man in the High Castle" because I'm nostalgic from when a Nazi takeover of America was fanciful fiction. Point is, and this goes for all of us, maddening as it is, we just don't know. Even worse, we can't know. The moving finger and all that.

That said, now I'll do it.

TFB is famously motivated by the perception that he is underestimated. Being drafted at 199 is arguably the best thing that could have happened. Brian Griese's backup all over again. So maybe the need to be that exceptional is born in his reaction to adversity.

So while we're playing, let's hypothesize that the chip-on-shoulder injury that Brady suffered as he watched 6 rounds worth of QBs go before him was softened. Let's say he went in the 3rd round. All the tools, living the dream, if he's good enough one day he'll be a star. Then suddenly, nothing happens. No amazing opportunity courtesy Mo Lewis, because TFB isn't backing up a motionless throwback (hard to believe there was a guy that made Brady look mobile. I know I know, he move the pocket etc., but in today's game there have been calls every year to get a trendy mobile QB.)

He carries a clipboard, he gets a dose of reality, and he's really good, and once he gets his shot he's mature. He surprises everybody by coming through, but accepts that just one SB is more than most guys get, etc. He gets however may rings in whatever proximity... let's even say 3 out of 4, just delayed, although zero is also a possibility. We don't know what weight to give the chip-on-shoulder injury.

But maybe he "learned" the "mature" way to deal with the Ws and Ls. Maybe there's no first dynasty at all.

And let's talk second dynasty. With the media and fans bought in to his greatness (later, his GOATness,) the chafing with BB could well have been the goad he needed from the drafting of JG onward. You could certainly argue that his self-perception of having years of football left vs. BB's evaluation of him as not the same player had a chip-on-shoulder effect. Without the early success, what kind of hapless egomaniac would TFB have been to think he'd better play to 45, because history?

So yeah, we can argue both sides of woulda coulda shoulda until the cows come home, or preferably the Lombardis. The main thing is that in the world that did happen, things lined up just right for us, as Pats fans, to have had an unsurpassed ride. Here's to it. We won't likely see its like again.

"likely." :D

Oh yeah in case nobody made this joke, for the Krafts, BB makes a handy scapegoat. Get it? Get it?

If we could believe counterfactuals Frank Frink would have been shot in the head by Joe Blake and/or America would have won the war. Sorry, I've been rewatching "The Man in the High Castle" because I'm nostalgic from when a Nazi takeover of America was fanciful fiction. Point is, and this goes for all of us, maddening as it is, we just don't know. Even worse, we can't know. The moving finger and all that.

That said, now I'll do it.

TFB is famously motivated by the perception that he is underestimated. Being drafted at 199 is arguably the best thing that could have happened. Brian Griese's backup all over again. So maybe the need to be that exceptional is born in his reaction to adversity.

So while we're playing, let's hypothesize that the chip-on-shoulder injury that Brady suffered as he watched 6 rounds worth of QBs go before him was softened. Let's say he went in the 3rd round. All the tools, living the dream, if he's good enough one day he'll be a star. Then suddenly, nothing happens. No amazing opportunity courtesy Mo Lewis, because TFB isn't backing up a motionless throwback (hard to believe there was a guy that made Brady look mobile. I know I know, he move the pocket etc., but in today's game there have been calls every year to get a trendy mobile QB.)

He carries a clipboard, he gets a dose of reality, and he's really good, and once he gets his shot he's mature. He surprises everybody by coming through, but accepts that just one SB is more than most guys get, etc. He gets however may rings in whatever proximity... let's even say 3 out of 4, just delayed, although zero is also a possibility. We don't know what weight to give the chip-on-shoulder injury.

But maybe he "learned" the "mature" way to deal with the Ws and Ls. Maybe there's no first dynasty at all.

And let's talk second dynasty. With the media and fans bought in to his greatness (later, his GOATness,) the chafing with BB could well have been the goad he needed from the drafting of JG onward. You could certainly argue that his self-perception of having years of football left vs. BB's evaluation of him as not the same player had a chip-on-shoulder effect. Without the early success, what kind of hapless egomaniac would TFB have been to think he'd better play to 45, because history?

So yeah, we can argue both sides of woulda coulda shoulda until the cows come home, or preferably the Lombardis. The main thing is that in the world that did happen, things lined up just right for us, as Pats fans, to have had an unsurpassed ride. Here's to it. We won't likely see its like again.

"likely." :D

Oh yeah in case nobody made this joke, for the Krafts, BB makes a handy scapegoat. Get it? Get it?
Excellent post .. the “truth” is what we lived for 20 years. Ying and yang. All the rest is tired old hyperbole.

I confess that I haven't watched the series thus far. That being said, based on the title of the thread and similar topics from various outlets that cover the Patriots that I've read, if the Kraft's are in fact trashing BB's coaching, that's just wrong. I'll be the first to say that I found much about his drafting and roster building as more deficient than I would have liked. And, although there are other area's of BB's tenure with the team that could rightly be debated as also being deficient (which could be said of any of the greatest coaches in any sport), if this is in fact a "Smear Bill" Campaign, then it's despicable. Basically, this was a "Divorce". One that most people saw coming (and was necessary). Sadly, as with too many divorces, they are mean, spiteful, and ugly. I haven't yet heard anything from BB trashing the Kraft's (if he has, please comment as to anything specific since the divorce). But so far, I'm just hearing the trashing (or suggesting thereof), coming from the Kraft's. In the end, it looks petty, mean spirited, and worst of all...ungrateful.

I confess that I haven't watched the series thus far. That being said, based on the title of the thread and similar topics from various outlets that cover the Patriots that I've read, if the Kraft's are in fact trashing BB's coaching, that's just wrong. I'll be the first to say that I found much about his drafting and roster building as more deficient than I would have liked. And, although there are other area's of BB's tenure with the team that could rightly be debated as also being deficient (which could be said of any of the greatest coaches in any sport), if this is in fact a "Smear Bill" Campaign, then it's despicable. Basically, this was a "Divorce". One that most people saw coming (and was necessary). Sadly, as with too many divorces, they are mean, spiteful, and ugly. I haven't yet heard anything from BB trashing the Kraft's (if he has, please comment as to anything specific since the divorce). But so far, I'm just hearing the trashing (or suggesting thereof), coming from the Kraft's. In the end, it looks petty, mean spirited, and worst of all...ungrateful.
Watch the series and make up your own mind. There's a lot of posters white knighting for Bill, as if he needs it. The series is accurate, told by the players, coaches & execs in the building. At the end of this none of them will come out looking great (BB, TB, RK), despite them achieving greatness. It's an interesting approach instead of yet another documentary about the Patriots success on the field, of which there are many. This is not that, but it's also not a smear against Bill.

Too bad this documentary won’t have an epilogue. This could be a documentary of its own. Plenty of material

The Cam/Covid season
Brady wins it all in Tampa. Reaction in NE
Bill being FoRcED to draft Mac Jones or something
Brady vs Belichick for the one and only time
Mac Jones rookie season, the good start and the poor finish including a blowout playoff loss
Matt Patricia offensive coordinator
Jones vs Zappe, a “controversy” egged on by their former HC
4-13 peace out

Watch the series and make up your own mind. There's a lot of posters white knighting for Bill, as if he needs it. The series is accurate, told by the players, coaches & execs in the building. At the end of this none of them will come out looking great (BB, TB, RK), despite them achieving greatness. It's an interesting approach instead of yet another documentary about the Patriots success on the field, of which there are many. This is not that, but it's also not a smear against Bill.
Maybe you're right you would know because you are the foremost authority on smearing Bill Belichick.

Too bad this documentary won’t have an epilogue. This could be a documentary of its own. Plenty of material

The Cam season
Brady wins it all in Tampa. Reaction in NE
Bill being FoRcED to draft Mac Jones or something
Brady vs Belichick for the one and only time
Mac Jones rookie season, the good start and the poor finish including a blowout playoff loss
Matt Patricia offensive coordinator
Jones vs Zappe, a “controversy” egged on by their former HC
4-13 peace out
All of that is football stuff. That's not what this series is about.

All of that is football stuff. That's not what this series is about.
maybe a little. I’d say there’s plenty of drama too especially “episodes” 1, 2, 6 and 7. Players can say what they want about Patricia and Judge running the offense and how they felt about their HC as he approached the finish line? Or what they felt about letting Brady go and then he wins it all? I’d watch.

It may not be a smear against Bill (ro at least not as much), but that seems to be all I'm reading in various outlets.

It may not be a smear against Bill (ro at least not as much), but that seems to be all I'm reading in various outlets.
Then the series is generating controversy and thus achieving its goal to draw more interest to the story. Hope you enjoy it.

MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Back