PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The Pats are in trouble

Status
Not open for further replies.

iapatsfan

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
I do not believe the Pats addressed their most pressing need whatsoever in this draft or offseason. Last year was so frustrating to watch simply because of how bad they were on 3rd and long. I know I've said this before, but it got to the point where I actually expected teams to convert 3rd and longs on the Pats. I was a lot more surprised when they actually got stops in those situations. Now the Pats (as they are currently made up) go into next season without a proven pass rusher on the roster. Adalius is the only player with double digit sacks in his career, and he's done that 1 time.

I don't care how many DBs they pick up, QBs are going to have all day to pick them apart with the pass rushers they currently have. I think a real good defensive comparison would be the Chargers of last year. Great 3-4 D line and good DBs, but without Merriman, no pass rush. They had the 25th ranked D in the league last year, and were 31st against the pass. Without a husge addition to the pass rush, the Pats are in serious trouble next year.

I may hang myself.

edit: could we plz merge this into the 'omgnopassrushers????!!!' thread on page 2?

Last edited:
It seems like they just didn't call many plays that had more than just 1 OLB responsible for pass rushing. When we were calling blitzes, Merriweather was getting in there. But when it was just three big men playing 2 Gap responsibilities and one OLB coming off the edge, it is easy to pick up.

You look at a team like Pittsburgh and the pressure they get, it isn't because their entire LB corps is full of clones of LT. It is a scheme issue. If you line up Guyton and Mayo up in the gaps and regularly send one of them on each down, along with allowing guys like Seymour and Green to try to shoot gaps, and you'll see more pressure, but it will be at the expense of fundamental run stopping responsibilities.

It seems like they just didn't call many plays that had more than just 1 OLB responsible for pass rushing. When we were calling blitzes, Merriweather was getting in there. But when it was just three big men playing 2 Gap responsibilities and one OLB coming off the edge, it is easy to pick up.

You look at a team like Pittsburgh and the pressure they get, it isn't because their entire LB corps is full of clones of LT. It is a scheme issue. If you line up Guyton and Mayo up in the gaps and regularly send one of them on each down, along with allowing guys like Seymour and Green to try to shoot gaps, and you'll see more pressure, but it will be at the expense of fundamental run stopping responsibilities.

Pressure out of who? We have nobody that has shown the ability to consistently rush the passer on the roster.

we are 0 and 4 the D is ranked 32th and brady got shot lol its april BB will fix the horrible D that was ranked 8th in points aloud LOL lamo:D

Thomas.

Crable has the ability.

I said consistently. Thomas has not shown that ability at all. Like I said before, he has 1 season of double digit sacks in his career. He is now at an age when players tend to slow down. I do not expect him to be any type of beast off the edge because he has never been that kind of player.

Crable has shown nothing.

Last edited:
we are 0 and 4 the D is ranked 32th and brady got shot lol its april BB will fix the horrible D that was ranked 8th in points aloud LOL lamo:D

How about fixing the D that consistently gave up 3rd and longs and cost the Pats getting in the playoffs. That would be a start.

When I open up a thread with the title "The Pats Are In Trouble" I expect 1 of 2 things

1. The Pats really are in trouble for some sort of transgression, or
2. Some poster's thoughts when they never attach in my opinion to the title.

Option 2 seems to punctuate this board.

I said consistently. Thomas has not shown that ability at all. Like I said before, he has 1 season of double digit sacks in his career. He is now at an age when players tend to slow down. I do not expect him to be any type of beast off the edge because he has never been that kind of player.

Crable has shown nothing.

Thomas played alot of coverage what do you expect? Nobody blitzes every down.

Crable was injured but was a speed edge rusher from Michigan. His only problem was his lower half, weak legs.

How about fixing the D that consistently gave up 3rd and longs and cost the Pats getting in the playoffs. That would be a start.
its not the D fult they did not make the playoffs they won 11 games with out tom brady if payton manning went down the colts would win 3 games so i dont think the pats are in trouble

Thomas played alot of coverage what do you expect? Nobody blitzes every down.

Crable was injured but was a speed edge rusher from Michigan. His only problem was his lower half, weak legs.

Thomas is a good coverage guy, and he does get some pressure now and then, but not consistently.

I believe Crable's career high in sacks at Michigan was 7.5. Nothing to get excited about.

Last edited:
Thomas is a good coverage guy, and he does get some pressure now and then, but not consistently.

I believe Crable's career high in sacks at Michigan was 7.5. Nothing to get excited about.

mayo will attack the qb more next year. also, expect the pats to pick up jason taylor. crable and redd could provide some pass rush as well. and sacks are overrated. it's whether your LBs can put pressure on the QB. sometimes rushing the QB and forcing him to throw it away or hurried is just as effective.

Last edited:
The Pats have (only) one discernible weakness, but potential FAs to pick up (Taylor) and injured players returning to potentially plug that hole. If that means they're "in trouble", then please list the teams that currently have zero weaknesses and therefore are not in trouble.

mayo will attack the qb more next year. also, expect the pats to pick up jason taylor. crable and redd could provide some pass rush as well. and sacks are overrated. it's whether your LBs can put pressure on the QB. sometimes rushing the QB and forcing him to throw it away or hurried is just as effective.

Not to mention that a vastly improved secondary can buy the pass rushers an extra second or two to get to the QB.

OP is being a little reactionary to be sure, but it's also predictable to see Crable mentioned in this thread as a response. Crable has done nothing to show that he will even be the equivalent of an ineffective Vrabel from last season. We definitely need to address pass rush, even if it's by calling more blitzes.

OP is being a little reactionary to be sure, but it's also predictable to see Crable mentioned in this thread as a response. Crable has done nothing to show that he will even be the equivalent of an ineffective Vrabel from last season. We definitely need to address pass rush, even if it's by calling more blitzes.

so, what you're saying is crable hasn't shown anything, so quick we'd better draft somebody?

so, what you're saying is crable hasn't shown anything, so quick we'd better draft somebody?

I didn't say anything about drafting somebody.... particularly since the draft is over. I'm saying we came into this offseason with two large issues and one hasn't been dealt with yet.

You didn't say this but I do think people overvalue Crable like crazy. The fact that so many people point to him as the solution for our pass rush needs shows this.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe