Replies:
OT: Bad news - "it" is back...
Replies:
2023/2024 Patriots Roster Transaction Thread
Replies:
Asking for your support

Would you trade Judon?

• Total voters
Judon is not the "highest paid" player on the team. That 14.6M is his Cap number. His salary is 6.5M which is a pittance.

How do you know what Judon is going to want? You don't. You're pulling it out of your rear end.

You aren't "biting the bullet". You're taking your best playing on defense and jettisoning him just because and you aren't going to get nearly the return you think.. Definitely NOT a 3rd round pick because, as you said. He's coming off a season ending injury. You'll be lucky to get a 5th round for him..

Re-signing Jennings is a given and his playing time has nothing to do with Judon.
I mis spoke. Judons has the largest cap hit. His salary is 6.5M. You’re right. You really think he’s going to play on that? You’re probably right, wouldn’t get a 3rd for Judon because he’s not that valuable. Also, of course I’m pulling things out of my ass. That’s the whole point. I’ll put you down for Lay off the drugs. #kisses

I mis spoke. Judons has the largest cap hit. His salary is 6.5M. You’re right. You really think he’s going to play on that? You’re probably right, wouldn’t get a 3rd for Judon because he’s not that valuable. Also, of course I’m pulling things out of my ass. That’s the whole point. I’ll put you down for Lay off the drugs. #kisses
I think we pulled some money from 24 into 23 last August similar to what happened with Gilmore. I agree Judon likely won't want to play on that number which is even more reason to trade him.

For the money Judon should stay and be the bridge leader for the defense to keep things moving forward while the team rebuilds. Similar concept to a veteran QB to keep things moving on offense. Sinking to the bottom of the league two years in a row would be bad for repairing and rebuilding a winning culture. It's better to be mid pack competitive next year than having a young roster with max potential that learns the NFL from multiple years of bad football.

No. Mathew Judon has been a great team player for the Patriots, I wouldn’t do him dirty like that. And doing other to him would make other free agents think twice about signing with the Patriots.

No. Mathew Judon has been a great team player for the Patriots, I wouldn’t do him dirty like that. And doing other to him would make other free agents think twice about signing with the Patriots.
Would it be "dirty" to trade him to a contender?

Rebuilding teams need mature vets around to teach, role model, and provide examples of what excellence looks like in the NFL.
This.

You can't just get rid of every "old" player either. Judon is a great player and brings leadership. With Slater gone, he might be the best leader remaining

You always need a pass rusher. Look what happened in this Super Bowl with all the money SF spent on their DL and they failed to show up when it mattered. Mahomes and the O walked right down the field to tie and then win the game. Even with an offense, the defense has to have a pass rush if they expect to compete in this league.

Big contract? His contract is a bargain.
Yeah well are we San Fran? Are we anywhere close to the playoffs? I think reasonable to believe that Judon will not still be the elite pass rusher you might think by the time we are actually relevant again.

There will be younger pass rushers to come along that we can go for in the draft and future FA and we have some good ones already. Judon isn’t moving the needle in a significant way and I think people just have difficulty with the idea of letting our star player go despite some of the logic behind doing so if it means added draft capital.

Yeah well are we San Fran? Are we anywhere close to the playoffs? I think reasonable to believe that Judon will not still be the elite pass rusher you might think by the time we are actually relevant again.

There will be younger pass rushers to come along that we can go for in the draft and future FA and we have some good ones already. Judon isn’t moving the needle in a significant way and I think people just have difficulty with the idea of letting our star player go despite some of the logic behind doing so if it means added draft capital.
He's making peanuts this year. After his contract expires, they can let him walk. You may as well keep as many good players as you can.

He's making peanuts this year. After his contract expires, they can let him walk. You may as well keep as many good players as you can.
Fair enough, I guess the better question is what to do if he wants a significant pay bump.

Would it be "dirty" to trade him to a contender?
Good point. If Judon wants to be traded to certain teams I would try to accommodate him, but so far it seems like he’s excited about next season. My point was more about the speculation of how much they could get for him. He’s been a real leader for them, and they need that as they transition to a younger team.

Free Judon he doesn't deserve to be on the rebuild Trade him to the Jets they would give us a Third for him. :)

No, he gives the defense an extra kick. I imagine his injury last year would also opt for teams to try to lowball us which I don’t like either.

Watching the defense last year was probably one of the few high points last season, unfortunately or fortunately how you look at it, Judon and Gonzales’s injuries got the team the 3rd pick.

I doubt he will play at the number he's currently at this year.
There is zero chance he reports without an altered deal. He would be insane to leave that much money on the table to play for a team that's going nowhere fast. Judon is at the age where players try to cash in one more big deal as the shelf life of an NFL player is so short.

Last edited:
Part of me says yes and part says no. Odds are we will never be good while he is still an elite pass rusher and there is no guarantee he will even resign here after next season. But this team needs leaders and getting rid of him could screw with the development of younger players. And they don't have a lot of playmakers either. And you need some playmakers even if you suck. So unless the Pats got an offer too good to give up, I say keep him.

Part of me says yes and part says no. Odds are we will never be good while he is still an elite pass rusher and there is no guarantee he will even resign here after next season. But this team needs leaders and getting rid of him could screw with the development of younger players. And they don't have a lot of playmakers either. And you need some playmakers even if you suck. So unless the Pats got an offer too good to give up, I say keep him.
He is going to be 32 heading into this season. Re-signing him at 33 with where we are likely to be at would be counterproductive. I would rather just see what we have with Keion White and Jennings and Uche if he wants to sign a reasonable deal. We need a youth movement and we need for the second contract guys like Wise and Bentley to emerge as leaders.

There is zero chance he reports without an altered deal. He would be insane to leave that much money on the table to play for a team that's going nowhere fast. Judon is at the age where players try to cash in one more big deal as the shelf life of an NFL player is so short.
Heading into this season Judon will be 32 and will likely be signing his last deal with any sort of decent money. I can't imagine he wants to play on a low dollar deal and to try again at age 33.

Honestly everything should be considered. Great guy but is coming off injury and seems to lose steam at the end of seasons. I think I would trade him if a good deal came along.

Who I really want to trade is Wise. I haven't been impressed with him for years. With a new regime I might get my wish.

We are needy at some high price positions on offense in a lean year for offensive free agents. Both tackle spots, at least one starting caliber receiver, and at least one starting caliber TE and this is considering we draft a QB. Even if we hit on the QB in this draft and one of those spots I just mentioned we are still short in multiple areas. If, and it is a major if, we hit on a rookie QB I still think we aren't likely to be competing in the playoffs till 2026. Judon would be 34 entering 2026 and more likely to be out of the league than a high end pass rusher.
It all depends on a decent QB of course but they're very solid on defense and if they get some luck in the draft and on a couple of FAs they could be back up and running the year after next. If they're doing some sort of trade for another player or players then I'm okay with that. I just don't want to give away decent talent for a late round draft pick, which is all they'd get for him.

It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
Back