PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

These playoffs feel like 2003... I hope

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patjew

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
Pats beat a very tough (Ravens-ish?) Titans in the div game, then a soft Colts team (similar to Denver now? Especially at QB!), then a very physically tough Carolina team in the SB... like Seattle? A tough but imperfect 2003 Pats team took on all comers and proved tougher than all in the end.

And what does this all mean for 2014/15? Just one thing:

I felt like starting a thread.

To get to the AFC Championship Game the Colts reeled off two playoff victories without putting their punter on the field. That shows how dominant of an offense they had that year. I think they had more grit too than people give them credit for. After all, our offense was pretty darn good that year too and the Colts defense held us to 1 TD.

.....but I agree, I hope we get as similar outcome watching Tom and Bill accept the Lombardi trophy.

Anothe coincidence: THEY HATE THEIR COACH!
220px-Tom_Jackson_2010.jpg

And to take your comparison one step further, the 2003 season's Super Bowl fell on what date?

That's right....just like this year--February 1st (I know b/c it's my birthday. I thought it was the coolest thing to see a Patriots SB win on a birthday).

Let's hope that history repeats itself!

They traded logan mankins, similar to how they cut lawyer malloy.

That the Titans game that was coldest in foxborough history? Because i was there...but forget the year

Honestly, I think it feels more like the 2007 season. We might not be undefeated, so I don't mean to say it's the same story, but the vibe of this season is similar.

In 2007 the media gave a minor violation of league rules a buzzword to tarnish our team and players.
Team then proceeds to go on warpath with a chip on its shoulder.

This year, well, we all remember the aftermath of the Chiefs game. Now we also have rodents like Felger constantly ripping our quarterback, `Brady is no longer elite` articles, constant harping about how we haven't won in ten years, and the Denver Broncos being media-anointed as the team to beat in the AFC.

For me this is 2007 all over again, only without the burden of perfection.

That the Titans game that was coldest in foxborough history? Because i was there...but forget the year

Yup. Most remember Bethel Johnson's TD, but does anyone remember this play?

BTW, speaking of Bethel, he had huge KO returns against Denver and Indy (also on vid), and a very strong case could be made that NE doesn't win in 2003 without him.

I remember Fisher's players engaging in some pretty filthy cut blocking. I remember the Pats getting pretty pissed.

Honestly, I think it feels more like the 2007 season. We might not be undefeated, so I don't mean to say it's the same story, but the vibe of this season is similar.

In 2007 the media gave a minor violation of league rules a buzzword to tarnish our team and players.

This year, well, we all remember the aftermath of the Chiefs game. Now we also have rodents like Felger constantly ripping our quarterback, `Brady is no longer elite` articles, constant harping about how we haven't won in ten years, and the Denver Broncos being media-anointed as the team to beat in the AFC.

For me this is 2007 all over again, only without the burden of perfection.
To be honest, to me, this season feels nothing like the 2007 season. Not all championship seasons are equal. If the Patriots manage to scale the summit this season, then it will be infinitely better than the 2007 season.

That kind of goes without saying lol.

What I remember most about the Titans game was how my heart dropped as McNair heaved that desperation pass to Drew Bennett, and then quickly recovered as it fell incomplete.

The pats are somewhat underdogs. And lately, the underdogs have been the ones winnin the super bowl, not the favorites.

The pats are somewhat underdogs. And lately, the underdogs have been the ones winnin the super bowl, not the favorites.

I think this has more to do with `experts` being horrible at their jobs than it does weaker teams winning the Lombardi.

I think this has more to do with `experts` being horrible at their jobs than it does weaker teams winning the Lombardi.
I never said or implied the weaker teams were the ones winning the Lombardi, because truth told the one that wins it technically is the BEST team in football that year. Just sayin, the underdogs whether it was Seattle last year or the Giants in 07, underdogs have been the ones beatin the favorites. Pats are somewhat underdogs this year despite their season

Just an interesting tidbit I realized right now and didn't know where to put it. The only person to have a rush in the 2012 AFCCG who is on the team right now was Shane Vereen. The only guy to catch a pass who is still on the roster... also Shane Vereen.

That's incredible. There literally isn't another RB, TE or WR on the team right now who appeared on the stat sheet in that loss two years ago.

BTW, speaking of Bethel, he had huge KO returns against Denver and Indy (also on vid), and a very strong case could be made that NE doesn't win in 2003 without him.
Totally agree. I often find myself sticking up for Bethel when he's impugned because without him, that season isn't nearly the same. He also had a huge catch against the Seahawks in that regular-season game.

Last edited:

Highlights here at end of clip from that game..only ones i can really find. I was sitting in the 200's. Right on that end when he caught that TD pass..i remember now that i just saw it. I can't find a highlight clip of this game on youtube anywhere

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents