PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Thompkins on all 22 film revisited: much improvement

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks for this -- great to see the rapid development, with so much promise ahead. (Thompkins is not only a rookie, but had only 2 years of major college football!)

Maybe BB knew exactly what he was doing with the three rooks? Or did the Pats just get lucky with these three?

Absolutely not. He was forced into that situation and is the better for it.

Absolutely not. He was forced into that situation and is the better for it.

It's a little of both. The Hernandez situation was thrust upon them, but the WR turnover was completely intentional.

Nice job in your analysis. Stuff like this is pure gravy for those of us who don't get these add ons. Much better than some McCourty vs Bryant thread. Thank you.

Also it gives me the chance to reiterate the fact that Thomkins' growth and effectiveness only proves again that you don't have to draft a WR in the first round to get a good one. As we should know from our own experience, effective WR's are every where. In the draft well after round one, among the UDFA's (see Thomkins, DA, as well as Welker and a whole lot more around the league) FA's etc.

The fact is that even in an offense as difficult as the Pats, you can find WR's who can play, especially if you have a good QB to throw to them. Every week this offense is going to get better, and will continue to get better for the next few years.

I liken this group of WR to BB's Ahab-like search of his TE's. Don't forget that BB constantly brought in TE's to the Pats until he finally hit the mother-load with Gronk and Hernandez. Just like BB's has brought in a lot of WR's over the years before he finally looks like he hit the mother load again with this group. Its not easy guys, but it can be done.

Interesting note I recently read in the Cinci press. Thomkins is the first rookie WR to have a 100+ yard game since Wes Moore in the late 90's. What makes this interesting to me, is that up to that moment I had never heard of Wes Moore. Anyone remember him?

Interesting note I recently read in the Cinci press. Thomkins is the first rookie WR to have a 100+ yard game since Wes Moore in the late 90's. What makes this interesting to me, is that up to that moment I had never heard of Wes Moore. Anyone remember him?

I assume you mean the first undrafted rookie, right? Even Justin Blackmon had a 200+ yard game last year. And I have never heard of Wes Moore. Who'd he play for?

Rookie WRs in the entire NFL??
Calvin Johnson had 102 yds vs the Chargers in week 15 of his 2007 rookie season....And CJ was the first marquis WR I checked out.
And Wes Moore......the google machine doesn't know who Wes Moore is.
Cinci press???? Who knew they had a newspaper in Cincy

Rookie WRs in the entire NFL??
Calvin Johnson had 102 yds vs the Chargers in week 15 of his 2007 rookie season....And CJ was the first marquis WR I checked out.
And Wes Moore......the google machine doesn't know who Wes Moore is.
Cinci press???? Who knew they had a newspaper in Cincy

Our old buddy Randy Moss had many 100 yard games, shoot Cruz I am sure had a few hundred yard games.

I have said in other threads that the loss of all of Brady's targets from last year (most of the threads were Welker related) that the lack of binkies for Brady may ultimately be a good thing for this offense in a lot of ways. I think the progression of Thompkins is one of them. It is hard to think that Thompkins would be where he is right now if Welker, Amendola, Gronk, or Hernandez were on the field. Brady would have probably thrown to them much more. the lack of proven receivers on this offense has probably made Thompkins progress more in four weeks than he would have in an entire season with Welker or a healthy Gronk or Amendola.

I think by the time the Pats are at full strength (returns of Amendola, Gronk, and Vereen), this offense could be very dangerous. Thompkins (and Dobson) bring things to the table that this team hasn't had in a long time.

We've seen how successful our offense has been stretching defenses horizontally and Brady dissecting the seams left with laser-like precision. If KT and Dobson/Boyce can keep defenses honest deeper and outside the hashes it's going to give Amendola and Vereen a lot of room in the flat. Gronk's gonna be running down the seam keeping those safeties backed off. I'm just hoping we get everyone back to go with these rookies.

Nice job in your analysis. Stuff like this is pure gravy for those of us who don't get these add ons. Much better than some McCourty vs Bryant thread. Thank you.

That thread did offer great practice for the new "ignore thread" feature, so it wasn't a complete waste! :rocker:

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes