PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Three way trade rumor involving Pats found on N.Y. Giants site. NBA style?

Once teams are assigned their draft positions, each pick is an asset: It’s up to the club’s executives to either select a player or trade the pick to another team to improve its position in the current or future drafts. Teams may negotiate trades at any time before and during the draft and can swap draft picks or current NFL players to whom they hold the rights.

This to me says you can't pick someone in the draft and trade them on the same night. Just the pick itself or a signed player. New draftees aren't signed yet and they're non-assets until they are.
To me it says the opposite. Once the player is drafted, they hold that player's rights - so they can be traded.

To me it says the opposite. Once the player is drafted, they hold that player's rights - so they can be traded.
Or maybe it depends what "current NFL players" means. They can't be current NFL players if they don't have a contract?

This issue is that each team is given a rookie “salary cap” based on the players they draft. That value doesn’t change if they trade unsigned draft picks, and there’s basically no way for the money to be even on both sides of a trade. One team would be left with too many drafted players to sign and not enough rookie cap available.

how high wtf GIF

…that I just read???

The Giants cant go into 2024 with Danny Jones.

He sucks and Daboll cannot fix him.

Or maybe it depends what "current NFL players" means. They can't be current NFL players if they don't have a contract?
Yes you can trade draft picks, the Chargers traded the rights to Eli a hour or so after they drafted him.

This, like most talk of three ways, is a pipe dream.
OT since I'm sick of all this waiting for the draft...

Sigh... I remember a very serious talk with my now wife a couple of decades ago of potentially doing a three way with her best (girl) friend, but decided it was an absolutely terrible idea for the long run. I still have a pic of them making out from before we started dating, and early on in our relationship, they briefly made out once in front of me (just days before that serious talk). Sigh.

Last week I learned the term polycule... How (and why) the f do people do that stuff? I can't even cheat on my wife in my head.

Here's what the CBA has to say:
Section 4. Signing of Drafted Rookies
a)
A drafted player may accept the Required Tender at any time up to and including the Tuesday following the tenth week of the regular season immediately following the Draft, at 4:00pm New York time. In the event the exclusive negotiating rights to the drafted player are assigned to another Club through the NFL waiver system, the acquiring Club shall be deemed to have automatically extended the Required Tender immediately upon the assignment. If released through waivers, the player shall be treated as an Undrafted Rookie, with the right to sign an NFL Player Contract with any Club, subject to the provisions of Article 7.
(b)
If a Drafted Rookie has not signed a Player Contract during the period from the date of such Draft to the thirtieth day prior to the first game of the regular season: (i) the Club that drafted the player may not thereafter trade to another Club either its exclusive negotiating rights to such player or any Player Contract that it signs with such player for the player’s initial League Year; and (ii) the Club that drafted the player is the only Club with which the player may sign a Player Contract until the day of the Draft in the subsequent League Year, at which time such player is eligible to be drafted in the subsequent League Year’s Draft by any Club except the Club that drafted him in the initial Draft. (After the Tuesday following the tenth week of the regular season, the player and the Club may sign a Player Contract only for future League Year(s)).
(c)
If a Drafted Rookie has not signed a Player Contract by the Tuesday following the tenth week of the regular season, at 4:00pm New York time, the player shall be prohibited from playing football in the NFL for the remainder of that League Year, absent a showing to the Impartial Arbitrator of extreme Club or extreme personal hardship. The determination of the Impartial Arbitrator shall be made within five days of the application, and shall be based upon all information relating to such hardship submitted by such date. The determination of the Impartial Arbitrator shall be final and binding upon all parties.

Ok so I stand corrected. If I'm reading this right, it looks like teams DO have the right after all to trade a drafted player or his rights within the window of draft day (today) until 30 days before the regular season starts? And once this window expires the trade cannot happen and c says if they don't sign by the end of Week 10 they cannot play at all for the year.

So what's stopping a traded rookie player who doesn't like their destination to hold out and not sign?

Last edited:
It's been done before, off the top of my head I don't remember who but I do remember a team drafting a player then trading that player for a draft pick.

Ok so I stand corrected. If I'm reading this right, it looks like teams DO have the right after all to trade a drafted player or his rights within the window of draft day (today) until 30 days before the regular season starts? And once this window expires the trade cannot happen and c says if they don't sign by the end of Week 10 they cannot play at all for the year.

So what's stopping a traded rookie player who doesn't like their destination to hold out and not sign?
Really nothing except money. And I won't be surprised that now with all these NIL deals to see some of the top picks do exactly that.

One example is my friends son, he is a WR. He played his first two years at JMU and is coming off a a 1000 yard season. JMUs HC left, and he entered the transfer portal. He had multiple offers and settled on $500k and a Mercedes from Indiana.

He is good, has good size etc...and will probably get a shot in the league. But I don't believe he'll be a first round draft pick or possibly drafted at all and he got that deal. Imagine what a top 10 prospect is getting.

Now the salary structure for first rounders may deter some but I think it will happen sooner than later and it won't be the odd every 20 years or so.

They absolutely can hold out and not sign. But very few players really have the star power to pull off such a stunt coming out of college. It might be something that we see more often coming up, though, in the age of NIL money.

Reactions: sb1
What is the source here exactly?
His cousin's uncle's aunt's sister's babysitter's third cousin removed who's a janitor of the NY Giants heard this, so you know it's gotta be reliable!

Seriously pie in the sky stuff. The only thing I like about this nonsense is that the Patriots take Drake Maye in this scenario so if everything else falls apart, they still get their franchise QB.

Everyone else in this scenario has to hope that things work out. What if the Cardinals at #6 only end up with Odunze or Brian Thomas instead of Harrison or Nabers, is that really worth it to them?

His cousin's uncle's aunt's sister's babysitter's third cousin removed who's a janitor of the NY Giants heard this, so you know it's gotta be reliable!

Seriously pie in the sky stuff. The only thing I like about this nonsense is that the Patriots take Drake Maye in this scenario so if everything else falls apart, they still get their franchise QB.

Everyone else in this scenario has to hope that things work out. What if the Cardinals at #6 only end up with Odunze or Brian Thomas instead of Harrison or Nabers, is that really worth it to them?
Maybe it is worth it to them Cousin, If Monte and the Cards are spun a second rounder. Monte has said that #6 is the highest he would travel. So instead of Harrison they get Nabers who is WR 1(B) versus Harrison 1(A).

Don't tar and feather me here. I heard the information on a recognized Giants web page. It could be 100% B.S. ........BUT.... what if this dude knew his stuff and spilled the beans about this? It was interesting and fun. Someone put work into this proposal so what the hell........ Everyone is entitled to an opinion.

But all things being equal, it is not as far fetched as some. It's not Madden. The Giants get their man at #3, Monte gets a top WR at #6 plus #47 in the second round and the Pats get the last of The Holy Three plus One in the 4th pick plus #107 in the third round and a added first rounder in 2025. . It' costs the Giants the most with pick #6, #47 and #107 in the third plus their first in 2025. So a strait trade with the Pats might have cost them a #1 in 2026 so............

It's all intriguing.

Would you forfeit Maye for a bunch of picks and get McCarthy as the door prize? It seems like a "good deal for both of us" (Sonny)I am not a big McCarthy Fan but he might be evensteven with Maye today. Much rather have Penix at #11 in the Vikings deal. He plays before Maye ever sees the field. IMHO Maye is a wasted roster spot in 2025.

DW Toys

They absolutely can hold out and not sign. But very few players really have the star power to pull off such a stunt coming out of college. It might be something that we see more often coming up, though, in the age of NIL money.
Will be interesting to see what Manning Jr does in a couple years.

Will be interesting to see what Manning Jr does in a couple years.
If anyone’s gonna do it it’ll be him

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Back