PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

"Weaponize the offense"

DW, it nothing personal, but it doesn’t matter how many times people say “ get JustinFields,” because imo that’s the worst possible move they can make. I have zero interest in someone else’s failed QB who’s going to want 40 plus million a year from now. I hate the idea, period, and nothing is going to change that.
Fair retort cousin.
DW Toys

Cousin Ivan, First off delicious French Toast on Brioche bread with real maple syrup and vanilla flavored black tea for sustenance this AM.

I hate to spar with you but "franchise caliber QBs in top 3", or as I call them the "Holy Three". I will use your terminology...."Based on what?" Mel Kiper? Daniel Jeremiah, Athlon Draft book or some real mediocre tape we have all seen?
So I beg to differ.

I will go with you on this, the numbers at QB and OT are there so the percentages are ripe, but I don't think the Pats as a terrible 4-13, can put their eggs in one basket on a top 3 supposed QB evaluation. They are not ready for a member of the Holy Three.
Now if they had made strides in FA it might have been a different story....but as of this time today Wolf has failed miserably (give him some credit on resigns)
The Pats have to build a roster, not a position. Granted, their Defense is better than average.

More thoughts you dislike and you are entitled to your opinion. Lay it on me. I have been wrong before...ask my wife.

Still think you have plenty of resources to pick up Fields on a one year plan for a lowball pick from the Bears.. If he fails, trade him. You got a 6th for Mac. If Brissett fails and goes like 1-6 in the first third of the season, which I hope I am wrong, but would take that bet, you do not have a gun to your head on any rookie QB to start. Besides Fields beats out Brissett in camp anyway. Someone said this thge other day, the Pats would be afraid Fields is good and you invested your #3 in a QB.

Would you pay tickets and costs at hundred dollars plus to drive to a game to watch Brissett or would you have more excitement to watch Fields (this year as a case)?
DW Toys

Cousin, I am going to make my position on the Patriots as clear as I possibly can, so there is absolutely no confusion about it. I have zero interest in the Patriots putting together a good team. My only interest is in them building a great team that will win championships. So for me every decision they make needs to be towards ultimately building a great team that wins Championships.

bored waiting GIF

Or was this misspeak as well just like "burn some cash"?
building a team comes in three parts IMO. FA, the Draft, and cuts. Let's what they do and keep in mind this is a multi-year rebuild

building a team comes in three parts IMO. FA, the Draft, and cuts. Let's what they do and keep in mind this is a multi-year rebuild

Agree completely, and imo they have at least two free agencies and two drafts to get them back to really good shape. Then hopefully put the finishing touches them after that. And people need to realize that sometimes the smart decisions are based on passing on a player. As an example not trying to outdo the Titans and their ridiculous contract to Ridley. And making numerous good moves building the depth of the team may not be flashy, but are really important to overall success.

Yeah
Tommy: "I'm down for a rebuild"
Also Tommy: "I don't have the patience for a rebuild"

SMH
It’s crazy with a few posters on this forum.

BB is gone and they expect/demand that all the problems we have get fixed in 3-4 days of free agency.

The previous regime (pretty much BB as the sole authority on roster transactions) left us with zeros at 2 of the most important positions on the offense (QB, LT) and very little at another important position (WR). He focused on defense and ran the O into the ground.

No team is giving these positions away in FA. If you’re a good QB, LT, WR1, you’re not getting moved. You’re getting resigned or tagged…period. I mean FREAKING Calvin Ridley got a $90M contract with 50 guaranteed LMAO! He’s a glorified WR2, who’s as likely to take a game off for mental health as he is to catch a TD.

Trades can happen but teams can’t just dial one up on demand. You need a dance partner and even if you find one, there’s usually a no trade clause that many “elite” players have that needs to be maneuvered. On top of that, the asking price in trades is usually steep and many times not worth it.

We need to build through the draft and add pieces in FA…hopefully make a good trade or two. I think Wolf is doing a pretty good job so far, but this rebuild is going to take time. We’re looking at 2-3 years before being truly competitive again; and this is if things go well.

Yeah

It’s crazy with a few posters on this forum.

BB is gone and they expect/demand that all the problems we have get fixed in 3-4 days of free agency.

The previous regime (pretty much BB as the sole authority on roster transactions) left us with zeros at 2 of the most important positions on the offense (QB, LT) and very little at another important position (WR). He focused on defense and ran the O into the ground.

No team is giving these positions away in FA. If you’re a good QB, LT, WR1, you’re not getting moved. You’re getting resigned or tagged…period. I mean FREAKING Calvin Ridley got a $90M contract with 50 guaranteed LMAO! He’s a glorified WR2, who’s as likely to take a game off for mental health as he is to catch a TD.

Trades can happen but teams can’t just dial one up on demand. You need a dance partner and even if you find one, there’s usually a no trade clause that many “elite” players have that needs to be maneuvered. On top of that, the asking price in trades is usually steep and many times not worth it.

We need to build through the draft and add pieces in FA…hopefully make a good trade or two. I think Wolf is doing a pretty good job so far, but this rebuild is going to take time. We’re looking at 2-3 years before being truly competitive again; and this is if things go well.

In terms of how long it will take to be really competitive again I always come back to the Quarterback. I think they have plenty of free agency $$ and a couple of drafts to really rebuild the offense, but none of that will matter until they have a really good quarterback. If that quarterback is there at 3 and they take them, and they are right about them, then they could be very competitive in 25’. And the following season they could actually be a true contender. They might not win it all, but they could become a final four team. However more than anything it will come down to the decision at quarterback.

Falcons weaponized their dam offense
Kirk playing point guard
Big dogs drake London Kyle Pitts and Bijan
With Mooney and Moore the sneaky Lil speedsters lurking. Good oline too
Their gonna win the nfc south

In terms of how long it will take to be really competitive again I always come back to the Quarterback

Why is this first I'm hearing of this?

Why is this first I'm hearing of this?

It’s a completely novel idea. Kind of like Newton’s Law, and the other great moments of genius . The really weird thing is that you actually do see the floating math equations in the moments before the great realization. Freaky.

In terms of how long it will take to be really competitive again I always come back to the Quarterback. I think they have plenty of free agency $$ and a couple of drafts to really rebuild the offense, but none of that will matter until they have a really good quarterback. If that quarterback is there at 3 and they take them, and they are right about them, then they could be very competitive in 25’. And the following season they could actually be a true contender. They might not win it all, but they could become a final four team. However more than anything it will come down to the decision at quarterback.
If they get the right QB it fixes much more than the most important position
As we are seeing now. It will want FA’s to want to play here
Right now it seems as if this team has syphilis
Please get the right QB

bored waiting GIF

Or was this misspeak as well just like "burn some cash"?
Nothing we do is going to fix this offense overnight.

The key to a successful offseason is going to be improvements to the offensive line. Receiver talent will only get you so far if your line can't hold up.

Whether we're starting Brissett or some shiny new rookie, either one is going to need additional time on the line than what we were able to provide last year. Our line is bad, bad, bad. It's half the reason Mac ended up cooked, he never really had time to set his feet and with an average arm you NEED that. Also why the run game simultaneously struggled. When both the air game and the ground game are impacted, the line is usually the reason.

So I don't give a damn what we do at QB or WR. We need help at the line and until we get it nothing else is going to work as well as it should. Offense is made in the trenches, both on the ground and in the air. If we're weak there, we're going to look worse everywhere.

It’s a completely novel idea. Kind of like Newton’s Law, and the other great moments of genius . The really weird thing is that you actually do see the floating math equations in the moments before the great realization. Freaky.

And that's the reason I come here, to get my ass enlightened

Draft MHJ, trade for and resign Higgins. Flip a 4th for Fields, trade up for a LT. Rattler might still be around. If Fields does suck, we will be drafting high again anyhow. I’m outta ideas, I don’t know.

2/3 would be a huge win, but still last place in’24. By the time they build an offense what will be left of the defense? Love to have a team in the QB rookie contract but will be a challenge.
What I'm hearing is, sell pieces of the defense for draft capital. Is that your intention? Because if you are convinced the D won't hold up until the O clicks in, then that's the logical next step.

Draft MHJ, trade for and resign Higgins. Flip a 4th for Fields, trade up for a LT. Rattler might still be around. If Fields does suck, we will be drafting high again anyhow. I’m outta ideas, I don’t know.

PLAYOFF PARTICIPANT here we come baby. They will never win a Lombardi, but 9-8 for next five years will be awesome.

DW, it nothing personal, but it doesn’t matter how many times people say “ get JustinFields,” because imo that’s the worst possible move they can make. I have zero interest in someone else’s failed QB who’s going to want 40 plus million a year from now. I hate the idea, period, and nothing is going to change that.
I agree with you on Fields but I'm the weirdo who thinks we need to draft for OL and linebackers and should trade down to about 10-15 for whatever second round picks we can roll for this draft and the next in order to build out depth in the trenches.

I just don't see that franchise altering talent on the board. Maye's good but not #3 overall good. I think people are placing their hopes in the draft slot without assessing the talent that's actually there, and frankly this draft looks a bit bottom heavy to me. Lots of good late first and seconds but thin on top talent. Good opportunity to trade down and build up some desperately needed cheap depth at a number of positions.

I think it'll be more important to the immediate future of the team to get young on defense than it is to try to slap together a jury-rigged offense to squeeze out 2-3 extra wins next year (possibly bringing our total all the way op to the lofty heights of 6-11). We should be assembling the supporting cast and letting the rest of the roster shake down for at least 1 more year before going all in. Because even if we did get a premium QB right now, I have my doubts that this roster, especially this offensive line, could even give them the support they needed to thrive.

Last edited:
Falcons weaponized their dam offense
Kirk playing point guard
Big dogs drake London Kyle Pitts and Bijan
With Mooney and Moore the sneaky Lil speedsters lurking. Good oline too
Their gonna win the nfc south
They got their 3 big weapons over 3 years with back-to-back-to-back top 10 picks.

PLAYOFF PARTICIPANT here we come baby. They will never win a Lombardi, but 9-8 for next five years will be awesome.
Oh please, and if we swing and miss on a QB at 3?

Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Back