PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Welker not sure if he'll report for Patriots offseason program per Albert Breer

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think if they haven't come to terms on a long term deal when the July deadline for negotiating one passes he will sign his tag before leaving for his honeymoon and report to camp on time. I think if they make any progress between now and then he will sign it sooner. He doesn't really need the off season program or OTA's. He knows the system inside out, he's got great rapport with the QB and the OC. I'm sure he and his QB will hook up periodically over the spring and summer either way. Just like they did during the lockout last offseason and if there are any changes he should know about Tommy will update him.

why would he sign before going on his honeymoon?

why would he sign any sooner than the day he is showing up to train?

there is no reason for him to sign anything unless it is the contract that he want's or the tender just before he reports.

when brady thinks about his contract, he doesn't think about welker....why would welker think about brady?

this all sounds more like wishful thinking on your part

Have to disagree. The Pats are making a big mistake if they don't lock Welker up for a few more years. He makes the offense tick with TB-12. They don't have anyone with his skill set to replace him and I bet they won't find a rookie to do so.

he will be 31 before he does anything football related.....he turned down 2 years with 16M guaranteed. guaranteeing more over a longer period of time would be out of character

if you want to use an historical parallel......look at troy brown. he peaked at the same age welker peaked, and at 32 (2002) he took such a beating, he was never the same again. welker is close to a point where his productivity could fall off at any moment.

he really should have taken the 16M guaranteed. for 2 years.

why would he sign before going on his honeymoon?

why would he sign any sooner than the day he is showing up to train?

there is no reason for him to sign anything unless it is the contract that he want's or the tender just before he reports.

when brady thinks about his contract, he doesn't think about welker....why would welker think about brady?

this all sounds more like wishful thinking on your part

Because the date for getting a long term deal will have passed and once signed the money is guaranteed and there are no activities he need engage in prior to the beginning of TC.

He and Brady are tight. BFF's if you will. On and off the field. They freakin' vacation together, which is something Brady has never done with his other great friends who are teamates... They routinely train together in California when they are not able to train together in MA...

Wes is training now on his own dime and if he gets injured as Jason Peters did it's NFI and the team is under no obligation to pay him a nickle...that's why you sign sooner than later, once the reward outweights the risk. If the time comes when he believes there will simply not be any more progress on a long term deal, he will sign.

he will be 31 before he does anything football related.....he turned down 2 years with 16M guaranteed. guaranteeing more over a longer period of time would be out of character

if you want to use an historical parallel......look at troy brown. he peaked at the same age welker peaked, and at 32 (2002) he took such a beating, he was never the same again. welker is close to a point where his productivity could fall off at any moment.

Troy was never the same after he injured his knee. Wes rebounded from his more severe injury and was better than before... Troy's injury had a lot more to do with cumulative damage, Wes's was a one time acute traumatic injury. And Welker has been at peak and his peak has been higher longer than Troy's ever was, before or after surgery.

Re: Welker

Steve Smith got around $18 million guarantee for 3 years.

NFL.com news: Steve Smith signs three-year contract extension with Panthers

The Carolina Panthers signed wide receiver Steve Smith have to a three-year extension on Tuesday.

NFL Network insider Jason La Canfora first reported details of the deal, which includes a club option for a fourth year, according to a team source. The deal includes roughly $18 million in guaranteed money, a source with knowledge of the situation told La Canfora.

Last edited:
Actually, I kind of expected this. Welker needs to pay his cards now and to let the Pats know that he is serious.

Contrary to what the consensus of opinion is amongst fans saying that he will eventually sign a new contract, I am not so sure of that.

Welker has had a great career with the patriots but as can be seen by the Pats FA moves, they are beginning to look elsewhere as far as wide receivers go, partly because of the influx of Gronk and Hernandez and what they have been able to accomplish.

And with the arrival of Lloyd and Stallworth, two potential field stretchers, the offensive game plan might just not require Welker to be a major part of it.

And dont count Gonzalez out either. He is the type of receiver that has the capability of being the guy in the cracks of the zones ala welker.

And of course the Edelman factor who had filled in periodically for Welker and did well.

I know it sounds foolish, but dont count out a big blockbuster trade just prior to the draft, or during it.

The thing is however that, IMO, most of the other teams know that Welker would not perform as well as he has done if playing in an offense without Tom Brady and also the price tag just might be way too much for other teams to take that kind of a gamble.

But, dont count it out.

Actually, I kind of expected this. Welker needs to pay his cards now and to let the Pats know that he is serious.

Contrary to what the consensus of opinion is amongst fans saying that he will eventually sign a new contract, I am not so sure of that.

Welker has had a great career with the patriots but as can be seen by the Pats FA moves, they are beginning to look elsewhere as far as wide receivers go, partly because of the influx of Gronk and Hernandez and what they have been able to accomplish.

$18 million guaranteed for Welker for 3 years would be a steal IMO.

Why would he take that? He gets over 9 mill this year and if they franchise him again next year his total for both years is over 20 mill. Of course he could get hurt this year and only get the 9+ but he could make a lot more than the 16 mill.

Welker could roll out of bed and catch 100 passes, it is not like Brady does not know how he runs his routes. I hope he stays out till the last two weeks of camp and save his legs.

I don't want him signed long term at 9 mill per. He has had a great career but I can not see him productive at 34. I don't understand him not taking the 16 mill for two years. Sure he gets 9 mill next year, but if he falls off or McDaniel moves away from the slot and he goes down to 80 catches, teams may see a 30% decline in catches and not want to risk big bucks. And he could end up catching passes from Kolb for the last two years of his career.

Last edited:
Why would he take that? He gets over 9 mill this year and if they franchise him again next year his total for both years is over 20 mill. Of course he could get hurt this year and only get the 9+ but he could make a lot more than the 16 mill.

He could get more but no way Bill franchises him again next year at 10+ million. $18 million even if he plays for 2 is a good deal and we get to spread it over 3 years. Expect Belichick to pluck T.Y. Hilton in the draft and work with him.

Welker could roll out of bed and catch 100 passes,

Not the way, IMO, this team appears to be recasting it's corps of wide receivers with plans to stretch the field more. I think that Gonzales, Edelman and others can account for the same number of passes that Welker pulls in with a possible increase in touchdown passes.

Unfortunately, other teams will not be willing to shell out the kind of money Welker may be asking so a deal might not work out. But dont close your eyes to the possibility of it happening.

Not the way, IMO, this team appears to be recasting it's corps of wide receivers with plans to stretch the field more. I think that Gonzales, Edelman and others can account for the same number of passes that Welker pulls in with a possible increase in touchdown passes.

Unfortunately, other teams will not be willing to shell out the kind of money Welker may be asking so a deal might not work out. But dont close your eyes to the possibility of it happening.

Welker, Marvin Harrison and Jerry Rice are the only receivers in NFL history with 4 100+ reception seasons in their careers.

Welker and Chris Carter are the only receivers in NFL history with 2 120+ reception seasons in their careers.

Patriots Apply Franchise Tag To Welker - Boston Sports News Story - WCVB Boston

Welker set an NFL record in 2007 by recording the most receptions by a player in his first season with a new team (rookie or veteran), totaling 112 catches.

Welker (123 in 2009, 112 in 2007 and 111 in 2008) joins Marvin Harrison (4), Jerry Rice (3), Herman Moore (3) and Brandon Marshall (3) as the only players to catch 100 passes in three consecutive seasons.

Welker tied an NFL record in 2009 with seven 10-plus reception games. Andre Johnson of Houston had seven 10-plus receptions games in 2008

Welker earned three consecutive Pro Bowl honors following the 2008, 2009, and 2010 seasons.
Since joining the Patriots prior to the 2007 season, Welker leads the NFL with a total of 432 receptions (112 in 2007, 111 in 2008, 123 in 2009 and 86 in 2010) and leads the NFL with 7.1 receptions per game.

The New England Patriots

But, I'm sure that Edelman/Gonzales can match it. It's obviously easy, because it's been done so often. It's not like Welker's been setting records or leading the league or doing anything that's tough to do, really...

Last edited:
Welker, Marvin Harrison and Jerry Rice are the only receivers in NFL history with 4 100+ reception seasons in their careers.

Welker and Chris Carter are the only receivers in NFL history with 2 120+ reception seasons in their careers.

Patriots Apply Franchise Tag To Welker - Boston Sports News Story - WCVB Boston

Welker set an NFL record in 2007 by recording the most receptions by a player in his first season with a new team (rookie or veteran), totaling 112 catches.

Welker (123 in 2009, 112 in 2007 and 111 in 2008) joins Marvin Harrison (4), Jerry Rice (3), Herman Moore (3) and Brandon Marshall (3) as the only players to catch 100 passes in three consecutive seasons.

Welker tied an NFL record in 2009 with seven 10-plus reception games. Andre Johnson of Houston had seven 10-plus receptions games in 2008

Welker earned three consecutive Pro Bowl honors following the 2008, 2009, and 2010 seasons.
Since joining the Patriots prior to the 2007 season, Welker leads the NFL with a total of 432 receptions (112 in 2007, 111 in 2008, 123 in 2009 and 86 in 2010) and leads the NFL with 7.1 receptions per game.

The New England Patriots

But, I'm sure that Edelman/Gonzales can match it. It's obviously easy, because it's been done so often. It's not like Welker's been setting records or leading the league or doing anything that's tough to do, really...

Nothing is forever.

Am just suggesting that dont say that it could not happen. Anything is possible.

Nothing is forever.

Am just suggesting that dont say that it could not happen. Anything is possible.

So you're just posting cliches and inanities yet again, and being ridiculous rather than actually trolling, then.

Got it.

Last edited:
I know it sounds foolish, but dont count out a big blockbuster trade just prior to the draft, or during it.

So, you take the signings of a 31 year old WR who has catched 41 passes since he left the Patriots after the '07 season, and of a WR who has worse career numbers (in 5 seasons) than Welker last season and has the words "injury prone" tattooed on his forehead, you combine it with a guy who after showing some flashes his rookie year has caught 11 passes over the last two seasons and in '11 played more as a DB than as WR, and from this mix you obtain that the best WR in the roster, the guy who has caught more passes over the last 5 seasons is expendable and a pair of nobodys could take his role without dropping abysmally the production...

Yeah, right. Hey, I have an idea! Tom Brady will be 35 when the season starts, why don't we trade him? He's old, but we might get a 3rd or even a low 2nd for him, and Hoyer sure can take his place without anybody noticing (well, maybe Gisele would suspect when she saw the bald head...).

Remember what Welker said?

"Glad that I will be a Patriot in 2012. and hopefully '13,'14,'15,'16,'17,'18.........."

Welker is smart enough to know that if he doesn't sign the tag, the Pats can't trade him. The only thing they could do "in retaliation" is rescind the tag—in which case he becomes a UFA and they get zip for him. The Pats aren't stupid enough to do that.

tl;dr: Welker won't be traded because he won't sign the tender before the draft.

Last edited:
I hate players that hold out like that instead of attending camp.

If I were a GM/owner I would be far more willing to pay someone who'd turn up to camp with a contract situation above their heads. That person is still willing to work to make the team better.

A hold out is under contract, Welker isn't under contract he simply doesn't have one. He has every right to stay out until he is signed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents