PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

We're on to the OFF-Season

Defense for the most part was the only bright thing this season.

Coaching and offense have been downright bad.

BB needs to revoke Matt Patricia’s access to the patriots facility asap.

Ideally I’d like us to pick a LG because Trent Brown was god awful.
Also Cole Strange was disappointing.

It be nice to get a GM too. BB the GM has been poor on the offensive side of the ball.

I don’t think we pick a QB high enough this year draft, but I can definitely see one the following year if Mac doesn’t improve.

What do they do with Jonnu smith?

Hopefully they adjust the offense to get him more involved. It was completely asinine to revolve the offense around the 3WR set when you just paid huge money for Smith and Henry. BB and the Offense failed to put those two in positions to succeed, IMHO. However, if they decide to part ways with Smith, it will either be a trade at the draft (4.85M savings) or a post June 1st Cut ($4.75M savings) or Trade ($11M savings).

I'd have to imagine Mac will get another year so the investment should be on offensive talent, line and skill. I see a couple tackles in our range (Paris Johnson and Broderick Jones) and a few WR's. There are also tons of DE/OLB which might be the target if we aren't able to extend Uche.

Plus a 4th round comp for jc Jackson and a possible 6th for Kara’s, no?
I don't count comps until their actually announced. Those are just guesses. Jackson could be a 3rd round comp, but we'll see how they move it.
Karras should be a 6th or 7th regardless.

So, the Patriots ended the season 8-9. Only the 3rd losing season since Belichick became the Pats Coach. However, it IS the 2nd in three years.

What went wrong:
Patricia as the OC/OL.
Judge as the QB coach.
Having to us 5 different players at RT. (Wynn, Herron, Cajustel Cannon, McDermott)
Moving Wynn to RT and Wynn's regression.
Injuries plaguing the secondary (Mills, Jack Jones, Marcus Jones)
Mac Jones seeming to regress.
Jake Bailey hip injury.
Special Teams failing apart down the stretch. (Blocked punts, Penalties, Numerous TD returns)
Bourne seeming to be in the dog house most of the year.
Barmore's injury.
Trent Brown's move to LT. - Wildly inconsistent all year. something ridiculous like 11 penalties.

What went right:
Brendan Schooler on Special Teams
Team Defense was better than expected. (League lead in Ints. Numerous Pick 6s. Lots of sacks)
Josh Uche takes the next step as a situational pass rusher.
Matthew Judon is a beast.
Marcus Jones and Jack Jones showing up.
Jon Jones showing he's a legit #2 Outside Corner.
Kyle Dugger has arrived.
Pats have a good stable of RBs in Stevenson, K. Harris and Pierre Strong.
Michael Onwenu to RG. Only 1 sack allowed all season. Pats didn't miss Mason at that spot.

what should the Pats do going forward:

Get a new OC.
Get a new OL Coach.
Get a new ST Coach.

If rumors are correct, the team is going to have to replace Mayo. Personally, I want MAYO as the DC ad for him to take over as the HC long term.. But I don't see that happening.

Free Agents:
Nelson Agohlor - WR
Devin McCourty - S
Jonathan Jones * - CB
Jakobi Meyers * - WR
Isaiah Wynn - OL
Matthew Slater - ST
Cody Davis - ST
Jabrill Peppers * - LB/S
Marcus Cannon - OT
JoeJuan Williams - DB
Carl Davis - DL
Daniel Ekuale * - DL
Michael Palardy - P
Raekwon McMillan * - LB
Joe Cardona * - LS
Conor McDermott * - OT
James Ferentz - OG
Damien Harris - RB
Yodny Cajuste - OL
Myles Bryant - DB
Kristian Wilkerson - WR
Mack Wilson * - LB
Quinn Nordin - K
Scotty Washington * - TE
LaBryan Ray * - DL

Players on the PS:
Bill Murray - OG
Lynn Bowden - WR
Jamie Collins - LB
Garrett Gilbert - QB
Terez Hall - LB
Brad Hawkins - S
Quandre Mosely - CB
Tre Nixon - WR
Jeremiah Pharms - DL
J.J. Taylor - RB
Tristan Vizcaino - k
Hayden Howerton - OL
Matt Sokol - TE
Calvin Munson - LB

* = players that I think the Pats will bring back.
1) Obviously, some of the Practice Squad players will sign future contracts, and will compete in camp (or be cannon fodder in camp).
2) Also, Ferentz, Bryant, Cajuste and Cody Davis are likely to be in camp.
3) I strongly agree with your list. Jones and Myers may cost a lot, but they are worth a lot.

It would be nice to see some legitimate veteran QB competition brought into TC. I do not think Mac has shown enough be automatically handed the job. I see Zappe as 3rd string. Let MAC battle it out in camp with someone like Baker Mayfield or Derk Carr.
His attitude this year at times seems a bit entitled.

Of the FA's above the only ones I think should be re-signed are:

J Jones
J Myers
J Peppers
D. Ekuale
McMillan
Cardona

I think all that means is even Brady couldn't do **** with the lack of wideouts this team has been fielding for 5 years.

Did you even watch the f'in games this year? Probably not.

The Team has fielded plenty of quality wideouts.
It's a FACT that Brady Iced out rookies in 2019.
It's a FACT that we had S**T at QB in 2020 in Cam Newton.
It's a FACT that in 2021 we had good wideouts in Meyers & Bourne. The bigger issues was losing James White.
It's a FACT that in 2022 our O-Line stunk. Show me a team that's used 5 RTs and still won 8 games. Who's LT took 11 F'IN penalties.

If Bill had drafted a different WR the year he took N’Keal Harry, we could have had our WR1. And not needed to bring in Agholor. His one target today was the deep INT where he wasn’t on the same page as Mac Jones.

Good riddance, Agholor.

Throw deep to any one but him. Heck, I’d have preferred Matt Sokol in that deep throw for goodness sakes.

What pick are we gonna get? Washington winning vs. Dallas here would be huge. Think we can pick as high as 14 and as low as 16. Pitt will be above us no matter what.
ATM, 15th, but based on the SOS, it looks like if SEA loses, NE gets bumped to 16th, so... go Hawks?

@DaBruinz thanks for starting thread. I think one thing that went wrong for us that you missed was the horrible officiating that cost us at least two games this year.

I think our team has a bright future.

Well, I was referring to the things in the Patriots control. I agree with you on the officiating.

Bring in an established OL coach and a bona fide OC.

We desperately need OT help.

Just for starters.

Keep Trent Brown but solely at RT.

You're not into using facts either. It's why most people ignore you.
Haha, I guess you are pretty clueless on your reputation on here.

Did you even watch the f'in games this year? Probably not.

The Team has fielded plenty of quality wideouts.
It's a FACT that Brady Iced out rookies in 2019.
It's a FACT that we had S**T at QB in 2020 in Cam Newton.
It's a FACT that in 2021 we had good wideouts in Meyers & Bourne. The bigger issues was losing James White.
It's a FACT that in 2022 our O-Line stunk. Show me a team that's used 5 RTs and still won 8 games. Who's LT took 11 F'IN penalties.
Not to be picky but Trent had 13 penalties enough to earn the honor as the most penalized offensive lineman in the league. Maybe even the most in the entire league. And allowed 8 sacks 5th most in the NFL. Absolute trash year by our LT.

Draft Matthew Bergeron of Syracuse in the first to play LT.

@DaBruinz thanks for starting thread. I think one thing that went wrong for us that you missed was the horrible officiating that cost us at least two games this year.

I think our team has a bright future.

Attachments

• 98489B91-9FA9-42BA-A50B-F6CA4FCAFA0C.jpeg
    98489B91-9FA9-42BA-A50B-F6CA4FCAFA0C.jpeg
    202.6 KB · Views: 7

Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/9: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/8: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 5/7: News and Notes
What Did Tom Brady Say During His Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Drew Bledsoe Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast? Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Belichick Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
Monday Patriots Notebook 5/6: News and Notes
Tom Brady Sustains, Dishes Some Big Hits on Netflix Roast Special
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
Back