PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

We're on to the OFF-Season

Hopefully they adjust the offense to get him more involved. It was completely asinine to revolve the offense around the 3WR set when you just paid huge money for Smith and Henry. BB and the Offense failed to put those two in positions to succeed, IMHO. However, if they decide to part ways with Smith, it will either be a trade at the draft (4.85M savings) or a post June 1st Cut ($4.75M savings) or Trade ($11M savings).
The good news is they had very good success with a 2-TE offense under BOB, so if he does come back, we know he has a track record there.

1) Obviously, some of the Practice Squad players will sign future contracts, and will compete in camp (or be cannon fodder in camp).
2) Also, Ferentz, Bryant, Cajuste and Cody Davis are likely to be in camp.
3) I strongly agree with your list. Jones and Myers may cost a lot, but they are worth a lot.

I think that Ferentz may retire. As may Cannon. It's going to be interesting as to whether or not DMac and Slater retire.

Honestly, I don't think they bring back Cajuste or Bryant. If Belichick looks at Bryant's play there is no way you can bring him back. He's good for giving the opposing team at least one critical play a game. Against the Bills, it's numerous ones each time. He just cannot cover any of their top 3 wideouts in Diggs, Davis or McKenzie.

I'm pretty sure that Bryant was one of the ones who fubared coverage on the 2nd KO return by Hines. I missed the first one, so I can't speak to it.

If Bill had drafted a different WR the year he took N’Keal Harry, we could have had our WR1. And not needed to bring in Agholor. His one target today was the deep INT where he wasn’t on the same page as Mac Jones.

Good riddance, Agholor.

Throw deep to any one but him. Heck, I’d have preferred Matt Sokol in that deep throw for goodness sakes.
The sad part is, at least Agholor is playing in games. Jonnu did not even play today and if he would be the waterboy...

The good news is they had very good success with a 2-TE offense under BOB, so if he does come back, we know he has a track record there.

I don't want BOB back. It would put him in line to take over from BB and don't think that should even be in the cards.

We know that BB is friends with college coaches. 90% of the time we have no idea who they are until it gets reported years after the fact. I'm really hoping BB reaches into the college ranks for a younger, successful OC who come in and run BB's offense.

I also am hoping for an O-line coach out of the college ranks as well. Despite the injuries, I just don't think that Patricia is cut out to do the job. I also question Yates' ability.

I hope that Bill makes the moves amongst the coaching staff ASAP. Both in terms of removing and hiring.

The sad part is, at least Agholor is playing in games. Jonnu did not even play today and if he would be the waterboy...

Smith is in the concussion protocol. I would think after what happened with HAMLIN, people like yourself would be a bit more understanding of players needing to get healthy to play.

So, the Patriots ended the season 8-9. Only the 3rd losing season since Belichick became the Pats Coach. However, it IS the 2nd in three years.

What went wrong:
Patricia as the OC/OL.
Judge as the QB coach.
Having to us 5 different players at RT. (Wynn, Herron, Cajustel Cannon, McDermott)
Moving Wynn to RT and Wynn's regression.
Injuries plaguing the secondary (Mills, Jack Jones, Marcus Jones)
Mac Jones seeming to regress.
Jake Bailey hip injury.
Special Teams failing apart down the stretch. (Blocked punts, Penalties, Numerous TD returns)
Bourne seeming to be in the dog house most of the year.
Barmore's injury.
Trent Brown's move to LT. - Wildly inconsistent all year. something ridiculous like 11 penalties.

What went right:
Brendan Schooler on Special Teams
Team Defense was better than expected. (League lead in Ints. Numerous Pick 6s. Lots of sacks)
Josh Uche takes the next step as a situational pass rusher.
Matthew Judon is a beast.
Marcus Jones and Jack Jones showing up.
Jon Jones showing he's a legit #2 Outside Corner.
Kyle Dugger has arrived.
Pats have a good stable of RBs in Stevenson, K. Harris and Pierre Strong.
Michael Onwenu to RG. Only 1 sack allowed all season. Pats didn't miss Mason at that spot.

what should the Pats do going forward:

Get a new OC.
Get a new OL Coach.
Get a new ST Coach.

If rumors are correct, the team is going to have to replace Mayo. Personally, I want MAYO as the DC ad for him to take over as the HC long term.. But I don't see that happening.

Free Agents:
Nelson Agohlor - WR
Devin McCourty - S
Jonathan Jones * - CB
Jakobi Meyers * - WR
Isaiah Wynn - OL
Matthew Slater - ST
Cody Davis - ST
Jabrill Peppers * - LB/S
Marcus Cannon - OT
JoeJuan Williams - DB
Carl Davis - DL
Daniel Ekuale * - DL
Michael Palardy - P
Raekwon McMillan * - LB
Joe Cardona * - LS
Conor McDermott * - OT
James Ferentz - OG
Damien Harris - RB
Yodny Cajuste - OL
Myles Bryant - DB
Kristian Wilkerson - WR
Mack Wilson * - LB
Quinn Nordin - K
Scotty Washington * - TE
LaBryan Ray * - DL

Players on the PS:
Bill Murray - OG
Lynn Bowden - WR
Jamie Collins - LB
Garrett Gilbert - QB
Terez Hall - LB
Brad Hawkins - S
Quandre Mosely - CB
Tre Nixon - WR
Jeremiah Pharms - DL
J.J. Taylor - RB
Tristan Vizcaino - k
Hayden Howerton - OL
Matt Sokol - TE
Calvin Munson - LB

* = players that I think the Pats will bring back.
What went right:

WRONG! Patriots are the bottom 6th ranking in ST. Plus a 98-yd TD return by the Bills in tonights game.

We have a #1 TE in Henry.
We need to give Thornton time to develop with a REAL OC. Not Patricia who was horrible.
Having a #1 receiver and a #1 TE doesn't mean anything without improved play on the O-line. That has to be the priority after the Coaches.

1) Improve the Coaching
2) Improve the OT depth.
3) find a safety to replace McCourty
4) Find 2 more Corners, though one may be Tae Hayes.
5) Find a back-up C/G though Hines and/or Russey could be the one there
35 catches for 2 TDs and less than 500 yards is not a number #1 TE. Getting paid like one does not make him one.

Thornton is not a number 1 WR either regardless of what he becomes. All high performing QBs have elite weapons. I know we are used to top offenses without elite WRs for most of 20 years but Brady is the exception and not the rule.

Yes OL is a bigger need but my list was not necessarily in order of importance.

Not worried about DBs as we always find the pieces.

Draft Matthew Bergeron of Syracuse in the first to play LT.

What if they're planning on putting strange there? As I mentioned after the last draft, Strange is the exact same height/weight as Light was, but with better athleticism. There is also the potential to move him to Center. A position he played in the Senior Bowl and the Coaches were impressed by his abilities.

What went right:

WRONG! Patriots are the bottom 6th ranking in ST. Plus a 98-yd TD return by the Bills in tonights game.
Brendan Schooler didn’t play today. It is possible to have discovered a gem in the unit, while the unit as a whole stunk.

What if they're planning on putting strange there? As I mentioned after the last draft, Strange is the exact same height/weight as Light was, but with better athleticism. There is also the potential to move him to Center. A position he played in the Senior Bowl and the Coaches were impressed by his abilities.
I think strange is more likely going to center

What went right:

Thank you for your woefully inept comment that doesn't actually address what was said. I didn't say "Special teams went Right". I said Brendan Schooler on Special teams went right.

Schooler didn't play tonight. He was inactive.

It helps if you focus on what is actually stated and not what you THINK is stated. So, no. I'm not wrong. You just read something that wasn't actually there.

Brendan Schooler didn’t play today. It is possible to have discovered a gem in the unit, while the unit as a whole stunk.

Right. I meant the entire ST and it's coach. Bills games says it all....

What went right:

In which Schooler did not play. . . .

Let me simply say this. ST gets a captain. For a decade now, it's been Slater. If Slater retires this year, it's almost certainly going to be Schooler next year.

Eat cap and trade ... Worst FA signing ever...

Not even close. There are so many others that have been busts. Chad "Ocho-Cinco" Johnson. Albert Haynesworth, Steve Martin.

2 KR returns for TDs....

I can see one. It happens. But two?

In which Schooler did not play. . . .

Let me simply say this. ST gets a captain. For a decade now, it's been Slater. If Slater retires this year, it's almost certainly going to be Schooler next year.
Not if he keeps running into punters and giving offenses 1st downs on a penalty.

We can now give the 2021 FA class a grade: C-

For having spent the most in FAcy last year, the return was woeful. These are the players we should keep from that class:

Matt Judon.

Those we should cut/trade:

Everybody else.

And he specifically said in the “what went wrong” section:
Special Teams failing apart down the stretch. (Blocked punts, Penalties, Numerous TD returns)

So how was his original post wrong?

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/8: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 5/7: News and Notes
What Did Tom Brady Say During His Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Drew Bledsoe Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast? Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Belichick Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
Monday Patriots Notebook 5/6: News and Notes
Tom Brady Sustains, Dishes Some Big Hits on Netflix Roast Special
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Back