PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Wes Welker's illegal pick

Status
Not open for further replies.
The thing is, Denver has been doing this all year. They've been getting away with it. Three things:

1. You'd think the refs would be alerted to it.

2. At the very least, don't call it on Hooman.

3. On one of the WR screens in the 2nd half, all the Broncos were blocking way downfield before the WR even caught the ball.

Manning and Denver know the refs don't dare make him mad and not help them win.

Ben Volin ✔ @BenVolin

Belichick called the Talib injury "the key play of the game." Perhaps a subtle way to say it was an illegal play
Retweeted by shalise manza young

michael-fredo.jpg

**** Welker...

The thing is, Denver has been doing this all year. They've been getting away with it. Three things:

1. You'd think the refs would be alerted to it.
2. At the very least, don't call it on Hooman.
3. On one of the WR screens in the 2nd half, all the Broncos were blocking way downfield before the WR even caught the ball.

I know. Dennard was the victim. This game was bull****. I'm done buying tickets, won't renew Sunday ticket, and am done buying jerseys/etc. The refs had this game in the bag from the get go. It is absolutely disgusting.

I wished the rest of the game for Hightower or Collins to just launch at him.

Yea its welkers fault Talibis made of glass .

Who cares. Denver marched up and down the field and even if you cut the amount of posesions they scored on in half you still got the fact that the pats couldnt do crap on offense.

Sour grapes if you ask me.

Yea its welkers fault Talibis made of glass .

Who cares. Denver marched up and down the field and even if you cut the amount of posesions they scored on in half you still got the fact that the pats couldnt do crap on offense.

Sour grapes if you ask me.

I'm not sure what you're saying here again.

It seems like you're saying, Who cares that one team is allowed to do illegal plays constantly to spring their players, while the other team gets flagged for doing it? That's what you are saying I believe.

You're also blaming a DB for getting hurt on a pick. Well, the DB is supposed to do his best to cover a WR. The last thing he is looking for is someone diving at his knees.

What is your point here anyway? This is the second time I've been confused at one of your posts.

I don't wish anything bad on Welker (except a Super Bowl loss), but given the injury histories of each player, the equivalent of a cheap shot to Talib's hip is a cheap shot to Welker's head. Yet one was illegal not for the hit but for the interference (and the refs even messed that up), while the other would be a $50k fine and one game suspension.

Re: Wes Welker Pick Hit

but that pick play was meant to injure Talib

he went straight for the Hip

At this point my feelings have changed, next time we play Wes, I want him blindsighted

In two weeks I want some safety from the NFC team to lay a serious hurtin' on Welker. And yeah -- I don't give a **** about him any more and hope Denver cuts him in the offseason.

Re: Wes welker illegal pick

The Patriots did try the same thing. They got a flag that killed the drive.

Except Hooman's block came after Collie caught the ball and was totally legal

A frustrating as it is to see Welker line up on the other side of the ball, the Broncos did what they had to to win. The onus is on the officials to make the correct call at the time. They didn't do that a lot today.

To make matters worse, the Patriots stopped the Broncos on 3rd and short, a drive that would eventually lead to a 10-0 lead, but the ref threw a flag on Logan Ryan for holding. The replay instead showed that Ryan getting picked hard. Denver's drive should have been over.

Denver didn't do anything wrong on that play. They picked within 1 yard of the LOS which is legal

While it doesn't make it any less of an intended-to-injure cheapshot (and one for which Welker deserves to be karmicly punished for by the NFC team and for which he is eternally dead to me and I hope he accomplishes nada the rest of his NFL career), in the interest of fairness re: the refs, I pass this along:

Mike Pereira said:
People asking about the hit on Talib. That is not a foul. Ball was touched by 88 about the same time as contact, Can't be OPI.

I have not (and will not) go back to look at the play to see if he's right. But if the collision was within a yard of the LOS or if the ball was touched as Pereira says, then it was correctly not a penalty.

I'm not sure what you're saying here again.

It seems like you're saying, Who cares that one team is allowed to do illegal plays constantly to spring their players, while the other team gets flagged for doing it? That's what you are saying I believe.

You're also blaming a DB for getting hurt on a pick. Well, the DB is supposed to do his best to cover a WR. The last thing he is looking for is someone diving at his knees.

What is your point here anyway? This is the second time I've been confused at one of your posts.

Of course i want it to be fair. Thay play was incidental to me and if a flag was thrown it doesn't make a difference to talibs health. I just dont think it makes sense to blame welker for Talib getting hurt. I dont think it was on purpose.

I agree it was an illegal pick. But I don't think Welker tried to hurt anyone. When has Welker ever tried to injure another player? I just feel it was playoff football. And Wes was playing hard and physical at the time. Talib has been injury prone, which is why he may no longer be a TB Buc; and just so happened to get banged up during a physical play...

Denver didn't do anything wrong on that play. They picked within 1 yard of the LOS which is legal

It was a 3rd and 3. The pick happened beyond the first down line.

Not if the ball is in the air, then it's OPI.

While it doesn't make it any less of an intended-to-injure cheapshot (and one for which Welker deserves to be karmicly punished for by the NFC team and for which he is eternally dead to me and I hope he accomplishes nada the rest of his NFL career), in the interest of fairness re: the refs, I pass this along:

I have not (and will not) go back to look at the play to see if he's right. But if the collision was within a yard of the LOS or if the ball was touched as Pereira says, then it was correctly not a penalty.

Pereira is wrong. The replay clearly showed Welker hitting him long before the ball got to Thomas. 88? Huh? And it was 7 yards downfield. Pereira defended the Carolina call too even though multiple reporters pointed out to him that the referees issued a statement after the game saying the ball was uncatchable, contrary to what Pereira was giving as the reason. He's still an NFL shill.

Ryan didn't do anything wrong on that play. Truth is, that play was a designed get-a-def-holding play.

Watch it again - as the receiver(s) are crashing in, Peyton lobs the ball over the four players. Ryan didn't hold anybody.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results