PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

What exactly is a „Right Hand Man“?

Ok so this story:

Special teams legend Matthew Slater's new full-time role with Patriots revealed

I LOVE Slater. Excited he is still on /around team; but I have absolutely no clue what this position is?

Is „Right Hand Man“ code for:

A. Easterby‘s old position ( was titled „chaplain & character coach“)?
B. A gopher?
C. Something else?

Is there any team besides Patriots that has had or does have a chaplain-character coach ?
Being that slate and Mayo came into the league together, as they have a very close relationship. Mayo likely offered this role to him. This is common around the league, I believe it's great to have slates presence around the team, and around the young guys coming in. I believe your right on what you mentioned.. he's likely there to also help with character, helping along the young guys and rookies as well. As far as assistant to the coach I think that is McAdoo's role.

I thought Robyn Glazer was Mayo's right hand person. How many right hands does Mayo need?
A created job for slate out of respect for him as a man, and all that he means the organization is basically all it is. Glaser is the top dog lawyer for the organization I think that was blown out of portions of her having involvement in football related and roster decisions.. just my opinion.

A right hand man is adroit. While a left hand man is just gauche.

Ok so this story:

Special teams legend Matthew Slater's new full-time role with Patriots revealed

I LOVE Slater. Excited he is still on /around team; but I have absolutely no clue what this position is?

Is „Right Hand Man“ code for:

A. Easterby‘s old position ( was titled „chaplain & character coach“)?
B. A gopher?
C. Something else?

Is there any team besides Patriots that has had or does have a chaplain-character coach ?
Whatever you want them to be. But they still need to fill the Ernie Adams role.

Slater's the new Ernie ...

I don’t think so, I think the Easterby analogy was closer to what he will be doing. Ernie was a research assistant , I think Slater be dealing more with emotional/ personal issues players are dealing with. Head coaches don’t have much time for hand holding.

Who else is gonna make a big to do about family, prayer and God?

A created job for slate out of respect for him as a man, and all that he means the organization is basically all it is. Glaser is the top dog lawyer for the organization I think that was blown out of portions of her having involvement in football related and roster decisions.. just my opinion.

I agree. Management by committee. We will see if it works.

I agree. Management by committee. We will see if it works.
Agreed. I've been saying this... all we need is a middling offense.. 14th, 15th.. and we are a playoff team with this defense.

Maybe we will get more clarity when the Pats detail their staff on the website... Doubtful but stranger things have happened...

Right now it remains to be seen in Slaters role will carry the title "Coach" or it really is an ombudsman type position... I am hoping it is a coaching role, as that carries more weight, least it does in my eyes

Slater's the new Ernie ...
I rooted for Ernie Adams. I followed Ernie Adams. Ernie Adamas was part of my team. Matt Slater is no Ernie Adams.

It's great to have ex-Pats on the coaching staff though.

Agreed. I've been saying this... all we need is a middling offense.. 14th, 15th.. and we are a playoff team with this defense.
We may counting our chickens before they hatch. There's no guarantee that the defense will be good.

Yeah, ya beat me to it. On a Kraft-owned team? Too easy :D
happy-ending-massage3.jpg

Agreed. That is why signing a couple of premier defensive FAs would have been ideal. Like 2001 to 2004. But the Pats cheaped out.

We may counting our chickens before they hatch. There's no guarantee that the defense will be good.
We lost our 2 best players last season, guys were forced to play that had prior either underachievieved, or were often injured. All the young guys in the secondary played well and got better as the year progressed.. our defense has never been the issue.. if there is a side of the ball to be confident in is the defense.. there is no indication or any reason they won't be as good. We have one the best front 7s in the league.. so yeah... a middling offense gets us a playoff berth.. IMO there is just too much reason for optimism on the D..

Agreed. That is why signing a couple of premier defensive FAs would have been ideal. Like 2001 to 2004. But the Pats cheaped out.
I agree as well. I thought we'd at least make a big FA signing on defense, not sure why that didn't happen. But re -upping Dugger was huge. I'd like to see Barmore, and peppers extended.

I think this week we will see something big happening by way of a trade.

I rooted for Ernie Adams. I followed Ernie Adams. Ernie Adamas was part of my team. Matt Slater is no Ernie Adams.

It's great to have ex-Pats on the coaching staff though.
Adams was phenomenal.. he needs to get more credit for all he's done for Bill and the organization.. the guy is just a phenomenal a football savant.

The “right hand” is seen as a place of honor and status throughout the biblical text. When the Bible makes statements that ************ sits at the right hand of the Father, it is affirming that he has equal status to the Father within the Godhead (Hebrews 1:3, 12:2; 1 Peter 3:22; Acts 7:55-56)

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Back