PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

What's your realistic nightmare two-round draft?

ctpatsfan77

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
I'm curious here what y'all think. Here are the three ground rules for what I consider "realistic."

(1) Mayo's promise that their first pick will be an "impact player" on offense holds true.
(2) Trades are allowed, but must be consistent with (1) and must be realistic (they get no less than 2000 points total back in a trade [using the original chart]).
(3) No absurd reaches (e.g., no second-rounders at 3). I'm going to give Mayo the benefit of the doubt and assume he won't do something that stupid, just like Belichick never did with top 16 picks.

All you need to do is come up with the WTFiest draft you can. You only need to say what the Pats do with 3 and 34, but can go further if you want. :)

I'll post mine in a day or so.

The Pats are getting one of 4 players if they stay put.
Taking realism into account, my least favorite WTF pick would be:
1. Caleb Williams (a cross between Kyler Murray and Bryce Young). I prefer any of the other 3 in this order: Maye, MHJr, Daniels (if we do a slight trade down it's Alt, Nabers or Bowers. None of which is a WTF pick)
My least favorite pick in the second would be:
2. Xavier Legette (five years in school but only one year of production. It was a good year but I think there will be better options at pick 34).

The Pats are getting one of 4 players if they stay put.
Taking realism into account, my least favorite WTF pick would be:
1. Caleb Williams (a cross between Kyler Murray and Bryce Young). I prefer any of the other 3 in this order: Maye, MHJr, Daniels (if we do a slight trade down it's Alt, Nabers or Bowers. None of which is a WTF pick)
My least favorite pick in the second would be:
2. Xavier Legette (five years in school but only one year of production. It was a good year but I think there will be better options at pick 34).
Yeah, to me it feels like we're on a slow moving car crash toward Caleb Williams and can't stop. I see Chicago taking MHJr. or trading with someone, then Washington taking Maye.

There really isn’t one unless this regime brain farts so bad that they pick McCarthy etc.

I’m ok with Williams, Maye or Daniels.

I’m ok with Harrison, Nix

I’m ok with Alt, Nix

Not sure I’m ok with ot in 2nd if he is a projected rt -project LT.

I’m ok with a trade down as long they get max and I mean extraordinary value.

#3 Daniels
#34 WR

Don't like Daniels, feel he is being over mocked just because he may be the 3rd best QB and we need one, don't see NFL level play when I have watched his cuttups.

IF they take a QB at #3, taking anything but a LT with 34 would be a terrible, terrible mistake. Not having an actual LT to protect your new QB is really dumb

Nix, Penix or McCarty
not taking a QB named Maye/Williams/Daniels at 3
drafting any interior offense linemen on Day 1 or 2
drafting any Special Teams player only at any point in the draft --> save that for UDFA where it belongs
drafting any defense player on day 1 or day 2
not taking several shots at WR (draft 2 please, we have to hit on someone with increasing selections on WR)

My nightmare?
Drafting a QB in the 1st round and not adding any OTs in the 2nd and 3rd round while thinking that a RB and WR will magically allow the QB to be able to move the offense.

Mine is that they trade down from 3 to 8 or 9 to pick up more assets and then take the last of the blue chip WRs.
They then trade up from 34, giving away their 2025 first in the process, to take Penix.

1st round - OT Joe Alt (Notre Dame), he gives up too much ground before he anchors IMO.
2nd round - QB Michael Penix (Washington), his injury history scares the hell out of me. Plus he's a lefty.

My nightmare?
Drafting a QB in the 1st round and not adding any OTs in the 2nd and 3rd round while thinking that a RB and WR will magically allow the QB to be able to move the offense.
DDDDBBBBBBBBB!!!!
Eyeroll Ugh GIF

My nightmare is we stay at #3 and whoever we pick there is this years version of Zach Wilson or Trey Lance..
My dream is we move back a couple of slots draft the best QB or OT available the wind up with a 2nd rounder this year and a 1st and 2nd next year. So many holes to be filled..

First round. I hope the opportunity presents itself to trade down. But just a few spots. Team has many holes to fill, especially on offense.

Gotta bring in an elite LT. Alt from ND has got to be a leading candidate at picks 3-11.

Then with our next pick, QB Spencer Rattler of South Carolina. Super genuine and a talented guy. With coaching he continues to improve.

Then in the third round my guy WR Malachi Corley from Western Kentucky.

My two cents in February.

Last edited:
Nightmare scenario:

Pick 3: not trading down, and taking a Joe Alt or Brock Bowers. I can understand if the QB remaining is not one the staff wants, but trade down and collect capital if you’re not taking MHJ. Not trading down and jumping the gun for Alt would be a huge waste of opportunity. A tackle like Alt/Fashanu, etc. will be a available a few picks down.

Second round: using this pick on defense, especially a position like CB where we’ve already invested plenty of draft capital in recent years. You’re basically just rinsing and repeating the BB draft strategy at this point and not solving your true problems.

My nightmare is trading down to 11-13 with hopes of getting McCarthy at a value spot, having another team jump up for him, and having to settle to Latham and Nix.

Offensive lineman at 3, Penix/Nix at 34.

Losing out on the top QBs and top WRs in this draft would be a disaster, and drafting a second rate QB and tying yourself to him for 3 years would at best get us to mediocrity and prevent us from acquiring someone who could truly compete with Mahomes/Allen/Jackson/Burrow etc. This scenario would scream perpetual mediocrity to me.

1) Jayden Daniels (although I think he can go on to be a really good player in a more stable team)

2) N'Keon Coleman

- Trading down a bit with the deliberate intention of getting a Penix or Nix later
- Not having either available later and settling for another 2nd round bust DB or WR

Or

- Drafting McCarthy over the top 3 QBs/in the top 15 of the 1st round.

Last edited:
Offensive lineman at 3, Penix/Nix at 34.

Losing out on the top QBs and top WRs in this draft would be a disaster, and drafting a second rate QB and tying yourself to him for 3 years would at best get us to mediocrity and prevent us from acquiring someone who could truly compete with Mahomes/Allen/Jackson/Burrow etc. This scenario would scream perpetual mediocrity to me.
This is where I'm at. Too many good skill players to pass up.

A trade down.

MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Back