PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Will BB challenge Welker?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I also think that you will see more of Tavon Wilson than you have in recent weeks in the hybrid safety position.

I sincerely hope not...

Damn, I sure hope not!

Arrington has handled Welker for years in practice, and is much more suited to play a shorter field where he excels. Once the routes get longer is where you see Arrington start to struggle.

We're talking about the guy who held Victor Cruz to a total of 4 catches for 24 yards in the Super Bowl, and who knows every move that Welker has as he held him to 4 catches in the first meeting for a total of 31 yds. They passed Welker off to some zone looks a number of times as well, but Arrington was the main DB to line up with him. On top of that, Arrington normally sees both Edelman and Amendola in practice every week, so he's obviously well suited to handle this assignment.

http://bostonherald.com/sports/patriots_nfl/new_england_patriots/2014/01/notebook_kyle_arrington_gears_up_for_rematch_with

I agree, Arrington is taking Welker and Ryan will see action outside and as an extra DB. If Arrington has more problems with the injury then i can see him taking over inside but even though i like Ryan more as a DB I like Arrington more for this particular match-up.

Damn, I sure hope not!

Arrington has handled Welker for years in practice, and is much more suited to play a shorter field where he excels. Once the routes get longer is where you see Arrington start to struggle.

We're talking about the guy who held Victor Cruz to a total of 4 catches for 24 yards in the Super Bowl, and who knows every move that Welker has as he held him to 4 catches in the first meeting for a total of 31 yds. They passed Welker off to some zone looks a number of times as well, but Arrington was the main DB to line up with him. On top of that, Arrington normally sees both Edelman and Amendola in practice every week, so he's obviously well suited to handle this assignment.

http://bostonherald.com/sports/patr...book_kyle_arrington_gears_up_for_rematch_with

Sup his facing Arrington in practice could go either way; what it comes down to is 2 players who know themselves very well in terms of strengths and weaknesses, so basically it comes down to which player Welker or Arrington is most capable of minimizing the others strengths and exploiting the others weaknesses. I consider Welker to be one the most savvy and intelligent receivers in the NFL so if I was picking someone (Welker or Arrington) who'd be the most likely to take knowledge and experience about about his opponent and utilize that to his advantage I would have to pick Welker.

Aside from that it comes down to Ryan outplaying Arrington in 2013 on the field and on paper.

Arrington - 42/80, 52.50%, 613 yards, 14.59 average, 4 touchdowns, 1 interceptions, 89.2 QB rating.
Ryan - 24/50, 48.00%, 328 yards, 13.66 average, 3 touchdowns, 5 interceptions, 49.8 QB rating.

I know I am going to get the stats aren't everything line so I can say the game tape reflects it as well, since week 2 Arrington has been a liability, and stats do show something and with that in mind I have a really hard time saying that I hope the player with the lowest passer rating against on the team (minimum of 10 targets against) doesn't cover Welker but the player with the worst passer rating against on the team (minimum of 10 targets against) does cover Welker.

I sincerely hope not...

Why? Has not played well recently at all he was by far the worst performing DB on the team this season.

gytaqahe.jpg

Welker clearly hasn't been himself lately. I am more worried about the two thomas guys then him

Tough to predict but like everything else BB tends to take the other team's key strengths but not sure how prominently Welker will be featured or targeted in the offense.

In the last game they played two deep safeties a lot and challenged Denver to run. Do they do that again?

Welker seems to still be looking for something BB took away from him in the last game.

images

Why? Has not played well recently at all he was by far the worst performing DB on the team this season.

gytaqahe.jpg

He hasn't played recently at all. There's a reason why Belichick keeps guys on the bench and only plays them at ST. That reason is repeated mental errors. Wilson even had one full year in the system and had already lost his job to a rookie coming out of camp. Keep him where he excels, on special teams and out of the defensive line-up.

He hasn't played recently at all. There's a reason why Belichick keeps guys on the bench and only plays them at ST. That reason is repeated mental errors. Wilson even had one full year in the system and had already lost his job to a rookie coming out of camp. Keep him where he excels, on special teams and out of the defensive line-up.

I thought you meant Logan Ryan.

As far as Tavon goes while I agree he did actually receive reps on defense in 3 straight game and was ahead of Harmon last week.

Tavon Wilson is in his second season and if you think that his flaws are unfixable and he isn't still improving than you're basically saying that Belichick can't develop players and if they make mistakes early on that will be how they play for their entire careers. I don't beeline that personally, I believe a 24 year old player on a Belichick coach team is likely to improve significantly from the start of the season to right now.

I sincerely hope not...

No. Arrington will shadow Welker, no matter where he lines up. He did a very good job in the 1st meeting.

What killed Patriots (other than the 3 turnovers) is the run-stopping (absent in 1st meeting).

That has changed since, and if you limit Moreno, I think Pats will win.

Talib will shadow Smith. Dennard on Decker. And, Collins on Dressen.

IMO

No. Arrington will shadow Welker, no matter where he lines up. He did a very good job in the 1st meeting.

What killed Patriots (other than the 3 turnovers) is the run-stopping (absent in 1st meeting).

IMO

Rod Smith? Who is covering Sharpe.

IMO

See my last post. They played two deep safety almost all game to help diminish Manning's game. Worked too.

Welker will get the coverage that the 3rd receiving threat should. He is not what he was but he showed signs of decline before this year. I did not have a problem with the Patriots not signing him, I had wished he would have retired instead.

I thought you meant Logan Ryan.

As far as Tavon goes while I agree he did actually receive reps on defense in 3 straight game and was ahead of Harmon last week.

Tavon Wilson is in his second season and if you think that his flaws are unfixable and he isn't still improving than you're basically saying that Belichick can't develop players and if they make mistakes early on that will be how they play for their entire careers. I don't beeline that personally, I believe a 24 year old player on a Belichick coach team is likely to improve significantly from the start of the season to right now.

From what we know now...

1. Wilson made repeated mental errors last season.

2. Wilson was benched for the year.

3. Wilson lost his job to a rookie safety that wasn't exactly setting the world on fire himself.

4. Wilson hasn't seen time on defense this season outside of limited reps.

5. His niche is special teams.

He belongs on special teams until or unless there comes a point with a rash of injuries. That's where he's best fit.

Arrington draws the coverage while LB's and safeties chip him at the LOS to throw off his timing whenever possible. Expect more press man this week than we've seen all season. Throwing off Manning's timing in this game is an absolute must.
I said it a little earlier in the week that I want every Patriots defender to brutalise their direct opponent, the opponent standing next to them, Denver's linemen and an absolute must, numerous hits, sacks and take downs of Peyton Manning. Manning must be on the deck at every opportunity.

If we ever needed a pass rush it is this week. Not sure, though, if we will have one - I don't remember it standing out in the first game.

1. Wilson made repeated mental errors last season.

This is true and not exactly shocking for a rookie DB in the NFL who was playing safety after finishing his college career as a cornerback.

2. Wilson was benched for the year.

I am not debating this fact, a combination of poor play during preseason and injuries to his hamstring had him behind Harmon. He has seen the field the last 3 games on defense.

3. Wilson lost his job to a rookie safety that wasn't exactly setting the world on fire himself.

I disagree Harmon played very well throughout camp and the season to win the #3 safety role.

4. Wilson hasn't seen time on defense this season outside of limited reps.

That is more based on us not going deeper than 3 safties all season. When McCourty and Gregory were healthy they played basically the entire way.

Devin McCourty – 1,031 of 1,156 (89.2 percent)
Steve Gregory – 840 of 1,156 (72.7 percent)
Duron Harmon – 427 of 1,156 (36.9 percent)
Tavon Wilson – 18 of 1,156 (1.6 percent)
Nate Ebner – 5 of 1,156 (0.4 percent)

5. His niche is special teams.

He contributed where he could and was good at it, he is in his second season I don’t think we should determine his niche just yet. I am not sitting here saying Wilson played well, I am just saying he has talent and we shouldn’t conclude what he is as a player already.

I agree with your assessment of his performance last week. He doesn't worry me at all this week. That said I don't know how one would be able to predict that he will turn down $6M so he can retire. He's only 32.

You're assuming Denver wouldn't just cut him and save the 6 mil. #4 options on teams don't usually make that much dough

I don’t know if Welker playing in 2014 is a certainty.
  • Pre concussion stats – 10 games, 61 receptions, on 87 targeted passes, 648 receiving yards, 10.62 average, and 9 touchdowns.
  • Post-concussion stats – 4 games, 18 receptions, on 32 targeted passes, 168 receiving yard, 9.33 average, and 2 touchdowns.
I look at that and I have a serious questions about the lasting impact of the first concussion combined with the second concussion.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes