Replies:
Very sad news: RIP Joker
Replies:
2023/2024 Patriots Roster Transaction Thread
Replies:
Asking for your support

Would you trade Judon?

• Total voters
In a second. Any valuable veterans should be moved for future picks or young players under contract. This team is not sniffing the playoffs for the next few years.

Not sure why the responses in this thread are so outright against the idea.

I’m perfectly fine with parting ways with him right now, at the right price. Great player but the defense did just fine without him last season. We have young talent in the front seven.

This is a rebuild and while the veteran presence is nice I don’t think he needs to be a part of it and if you listen to him talk he doesn’t seem to care if he is (understandably).
I've seen his ability as a pass rusher. He's probably the best "pure" pass rusher we've had since Tippett. Not exactly someone to move off of for nothing.

His injury being an upper body injury (possibly could have returned late this season if we were still in contention), plus pass rushers being able to play at a high level well into their mid 30's, makes him a great value for next season.

I saw also on NFL network Bosa may be available in a cap casualty.
I think the only reasonable scenario to move Judon is if you can get a second for him, AND you go out and sign a high end pass rusher in FA to replace him.

Why trade the best player? Tell me what 2nd rounder are you going to draft that would equal his production?
I gave my reasons as to why I would entertain the idea in the OP. That 2nd rounder could be your future starting RT or LT. Maybe a key contributor on offense at TE or WR. If Judon comes back, do you even bother re-signing the ascending Jennings? If you do re-sign Jennings, you’ll be rotating him with Judon and paying Judon even more money for the ability to do so. I dont know. I like Judon a lot. He just feels like the right player at the wrong time for us. Not to mention the poor guy will be ending his career on a rebuild. Oof.

Last edited:
I gave my reasons as to why I would entertain the idea in the OP. That 2nd rounder could be your future starting RT or LT. Maybe a key contributor on offense at TE or WR. If Judon comes back, do you even bother re-signing the ascending Jennings? If you do re-sign Jennings, you’ll be rotating him with Judon and paying Judon even more money for the ability to do so. I dont know. I like Judon a lot. He just feels like the right player at the wrong time for us. Not to mention the poor guy will be ending his career on a rebuild. Oof.
He can dry his tears with his millions.

And why not have both Jennings and Judon and have a crazy good pass rush? Even with a revamped offense, they're still going to have to play defense at some point in the game.

100% yes and I believe they will. 1. He wants more $$. 2. He hasn’t really played an entire great season since he’s been here…late on the season especially he has either fallen off, or been injured. 3. On next years team he would be an unnecessary luxury IMO.

Trade him to a contender for a 3/4 (I’d almost prefer a 2025 3rd), resign Jennings at half the price, and draft a mid round flyer Pass Rusher.
You want to give up one of the Pats top players for a 3rd round draft pick? No way Jose.

A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush.

If we could get a third? In a heartbeat.
Aren't they trying to acquire talent and not give any away? If they have the money, which they do, then they need to spend on players, not potential busts.

In a second. Any valuable veterans should be moved for future picks or young players under contract. This team is not sniffing the playoffs for the next few years.
Who needs valuable veterans? Everyone, that's who. The strategy of dumping valuable veterans for potential draft busts would make your dire prediction an accurate one.

He can dry his tears with his millions.

And why not have both Jennings and Judon and have a crazy good pass rush? Even with a revamped offense, they're still going to have to play defense at some point in the game.
I guess with a new coaching staff, Jennings could possibly be used more in passing situations. I didn’t think he was bad in that role but the previous staff didn’t like him there as much.

It's not a straightforward question. Before the injury Judon and Pats both were expected to renegotiate his contract this off season. Judon probably still expects that.
Do you want to pay an aging player coming off major injury a large contract? Will he hold out? How much will it cost? Etc.

I'd rather have him back that trade him but if he's asking for $20 million a year in an extension then I'd trade him.

Your likely trade value is a 4th round pick, so talent wise better off keeping him but comes down to his contract situation.

I would trade him and sign Jaguars Josh Allen 23 Millon a year to replace him, but he is likely getting franchised. Bosa is unlikely to be let go.

There is no replacement in free agency, so he is likely staying, and should, barring a hold out and absurd contract demands.

Aren't they trying to acquire talent and not give any away? If they have the money, which they do, then they need to spend on players, not potential busts.
This season out of the top 20 players in sacks only 3 of them are 30 or over. Last season it was it was 5 out of 20. Out of the 5 in 2022 none of them were top 20 in sacks this season.

If we were in win now mode I say roll the dice and sign Judon to a short extension and hope he doesn't decline like most pass rushers in their 30's. This is a rebuilding team and we need to be stockpiling picks and figuring out which guys on rookie contracts can play not investing in declining assets. If we can get something of value for Judon now I would.

There it is. How interested would you be in trading Matthew Judon? I love the guy. His energy, enthusiasm, his ability to get after the qb. But, there’s a few things working against him. He’s 31, coming off a season ending injury, has been a 10+ sack guy only twice in his career and is not only the highest paid player on the team at 14.6M but is going to want some more money before the season starts. A trade wouldn’t be so much about cap space (wouldn’t save a ton) but about getting an asset in return. I’d trade him for a 3rd and re-sign Jennings. Our pass rush took a hit when Judon went down but he’s on the last year of his deal. Bite the bullet now in a rebuild year. Thanks for everything but time to move on.

How does everyone else feel? Is there someone else you’d prefer to trade?

Judon is not the "highest paid" player on the team. That 14.6M is his Cap number. His salary is 6.5M which is a pittance.

How do you know what Judon is going to want? You don't. You're pulling it out of your rear end.

You aren't "biting the bullet". You're taking your best playing on defense and jettisoning him just because and you aren't going to get nearly the return you think.. Definitely NOT a 3rd round pick because, as you said. He's coming off a season ending injury. You'll be lucky to get a 5th round for him..

Re-signing Jennings is a given and his playing time has nothing to do with Judon.

The future of any player over the age of 30 needs to be at least discussed on a team that won 4 games.
@archstanton543 what do you "disagree" with?
In your experience, have you witnessed a lot of older players participating in a major re-build for ANY major sports franchise?
*IF* he is given the choice of staying or joining a winning program, he will go.

Acquire young talent, sure. Judon isn’t old but he isn’t young either. By the time this team is ready to legitimately compete, there’s a question of whether Judon will even be the same type of player.

We are keeping him around right now on a team that isn’t competing for a title and might not even be in contention for a wild card spot.

If he starts asking for a bigger contract, which will almost definitely happen, why is he worth paying for?

I hear people saying he is a “glue guy” but at most he is a good teammate. I haven’t heard glowing statements about him being a key locker room leader or anything. The dude responded positively to a tweet about leaving the Patriots because we suck.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/8: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 5/7: News and Notes
What Did Tom Brady Say During His Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Drew Bledsoe Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast? Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Belichick Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
Monday Patriots Notebook 5/6: News and Notes
Tom Brady Sustains, Dishes Some Big Hits on Netflix Roast Special
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Back