Replies:
2023/2024 Patriots Roster Transaction Thread
Replies:
Asking for your support

Mac or Zappe

• Zappe

• Mac

Results are only viewable after voting.
Zappe crashed to earth after making a couple of plays in the first quarter. He couldn't do a single thing after that, it seemed like an endless string of 3 & outs and batted balls. To me it showed he's not nearly ready to play against a good D, and may never be, even though he played flawlessly the previous couple of weeks.

Mac hasn't been good, but he can at least move the ball against a D like the Bears or Ravens. He's far more mobile. He just can't throw balls like that INT last night.

It’s Zappe, there’s no QB controversy. He came in and engineered two scoring drives after three duds, two three and outs and another interception from Mac panicking.

Mac never should have started. Zappe could probably have built a solid lead with those three early attempts and wouldn’t be playing from behind.

Patricia and Zappe need to work on those batted balls, one that ended in an interception. He’s not the first 6’1” QB to play in the league, he has to learn how to pump fake and get linemen in front of him to commit early with their leap, Patricia has to do a better job of moving the pocket and rolling Zappe out. He can’t just stand back there like a statue unless he perfects the pump fake and looking off defenders. I think it being wet out there and a slippery ball may have effected his ability to pump fake it.

They have to commit to and play Zappe, practice with him all week, keep running the ball heavily. Don’t waffle. He’s the guy, he’s still a rookie who needs to learn and be managed, but he’s the guy… unless he proves otherwise

Just being honest…I’m not liking what I’m hearing with reports the team was either surprised or unhappy with the QB switch. They’re not on the same page. And BB still playing coy with who starts on Sunday? And he’s not committing to anyone.

This kind of stuff is what starts to happen to coaches whose seats are warming up near the end of their run. Tom Coughlin’s exit from the Giants followed a similar path.

Maybe I’m overreacting but this doesn’t feel great right now.

This thread is turning into a Mac vs Zappe conversation, going to merge threads.
Disagree on that move. A discussion of Belichick's handling of the situation is different that just "mac vs zappe" although obviously that will be a component of it. Why in the world would a couple of similar, but different, topics/threads be a problem?

Now it's this one massive thread which I probably won't bother with. It's the central issue of the team right now, let's not have thread OCD and feel compelled to tidy everything up. No disrespect but I'd break this out, I started the thread for a reason.

It’s Zappe, there’s no QB controversy. He came in and engineered two scoring drives after three duds, two three and outs and another interception from Mac panicking.

Mac never should have started. Zappe could probably have built a solid lead with those three early attempts and wouldn’t be playing from behind.

Patricia and Zappe need to work on those batted balls, one that ended in an interception. He’s not the first 6’1” QB to play in the league, he has to learn how to pump fake and get linemen in front of him to commit early with their leap, Patricia has to do a better job of moving the pocket and rolling Zappe out. He can’t just stand back there like a statue unless he perfects the pump fake and looking off defenders. I think it being wet out there and a slippery ball may have effected his ability to pump fake it.

They have to commit to and play Zappe, practice with him all week, keep running the ball heavily. Don’t waffle. He’s the guy, he’s still a rookie who needs to learn and be managed, but he’s the guy… unless he proves otherwise
They weren't playing from behind the whole game. They took the lead 14-10 and then all three phases decided to suck on toast.

This is the type of situation where the Krafts may have to actually get involved.
This is an organization threatening situation if the locker room starts getting split, or feeling BB has gone too far with the mental games.
It's getting into Parcell's category, and I don't think Bob or Jonathan want it to go there.

Well, he's closer to the end of his career than the beginning. He probably has maybe three or four years tops left.

YzMPt6V.jpeg

My main question/concern is if Belichick can turn this ship around. I haven't seen much evidence of it over the last few years and even last year, we got blown out in the playoffs by Buffalo.

Zap looks better to me. But i'm not impressed with Bill mid-season quarterback experiment, this isn't the preseason. Bill should go with Zap and ride the wave, and everyone should get on board.

Not an over reaction. Every dynasty has a end. Seems we may be a few years late.

It'd be a sad day, but that day seems closer than we all might realize.
I'd still like BB to get past Halas - and maybe it was the curse of old Papa Bear last night.
But after this year, I'd say it could be a total overhaul. BB, Matty P, Judge, Stevie B.
Bring in Peyton, keep Mayo and T. Brown

If the team doesn't turn it around i'd give him a year or two and he retires I don't think hes lost his x+o's ability though.

Last edited:
Starting Mac and messing with a winning streak was dumb. It probably cost them the game.

They also clearly got out coached last night. How do you play the Bears and not put a shadow on Fields until the second half because he was burning you… that’s literally the entirety of his game. He’s Lamar Jackson lite. You do that from the opening play until the end of the game.

Giving up on the run was stupid, the game wasn’t out of hand to start the second half. Don’t change who you are just because the Bears are putting pressure on you to score. Get Zappe under center and play your game.

Patricia’s two minute offense of just having Zappe stand back in shotgun like a statue was also dumb. Move the entire pocket, roll Zappe around and give him throwing lanes. For cripessakes watch some Drew Brees film and look what Sean Payton did with a QB an inch shorter than Zappe.

It was one game, BB isn’t and shouldn’t be on notice… that’s just silly. But there’s no doubt they have to commit to Zappe and play much smarter. They also have to get healthy, the D missed Barmore and Duggar a lot last night, get your stars healthy.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
Back