PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

2009 Buffalo @ NE, Game 1 Breakdown

Status
Not open for further replies.
Very nice, thank you. The way this looks, the only OL who could be said to have had a good "passing" game is Kaczur, though I suspect Koppen normally has this level of double-team participation.

I'd be interested to see the TEs and Vollmer added to this at some point.

Anyone on the demerit list is there because they received demerits. Neither Vollmer or the TEs are there for that reason, even though Baker participated in 1 or 2 double-teams.

And yes, most of the double-teams occur inside and Koppen is the "swing" man for that reason. One of his knockdowns occurred when he got too tied up in a double-team with Neal and missed his blitzing linebacker.

Anyone on the demerit list is there because they received demerits. Neither Vollmer or the TEs are there for that reason, even though Baker participated in 1 or 2 double-teams.

And yes, most of the double-teams occur inside and Koppen is the "swing" man for that reason. One of his knockdowns occurred when he got too tied up in a double-team with Neal and missed his blitzing linebacker.
I was wondering how they scored, since you hadn't listed them I wasn't sure if they aced the test or hadn't been evaluated. :cool:

I was wondering how they scored, since you hadn't listed them I wasn't sure if they aced the test or hadn't been evaluated. :cool:

It would be clearer if I noted how many pass plays all players blocked for and included everyone, but especially in the cases of running backs, who often have a block/release option, that would be hard to judge. Also it would be very tedious.

I will note I only saw Baker blocking a handful of times of passing plays. I think he stayed in to block three times, and 2 if not all 3 were play-action passes.

12:51 3rd Qtr

1st and 10 NE 3: NE 4-wide 2x2, shotgun
-- Buf: 4-3
-- NE tries to clear the left flat for a quick out to Welker running under Moss, but Buf is watching for Welker and lets the Safety pick up Moss while two of them jump Welker almost as fast as he makes the catch. 3 yds.
-- This was the second time in the game that Welker dropped the ball, it went oob, but I can't help thinking future teams are going to be ripping at the ball more to test Welker.

2nd and 7: NE 4-wide 2x2, shotgun
-- Maroney motioned wide R for 5-wide.
-- Brady pegs it out to Maroney on the right side line and after trying to juke two LBs he falls forward for a first down. 7 yds.

1st and 10 NE 13: NE 2-wide, 2 TE
-- Run up the middle. Koppen and Neal doubled the LDT sealing him left, Mankins got inside position on the RDT, Light pulled while Baker steered the RDE downfield. Light came around Mankins' block at too flat an angle to make the turn and get the WLB filling the lane, if Light had slowed just a step he'd have trapped the LB and cleared the lane for Maroney, but Light overshot and the LB wrapped Maroney up in the backfield. -1 yd.

2nd and 11: NE 3-wide, 2 L, TE R
-- Buf: 4-2 Nickel, CBs soft.
-- Welker motions to slot L for a bunch duo.
-- 3-step drop. Light and Kaczur both got their man's hands down with cut blocks, Brady targeted Moss before the snap due to McGee's cushion. Randy ran a quick out at 5 yds and gained three more after the catch. 8 yds.

3rd and 3: NE 4-wide, 3 L, shotgun.
-- Buf: 4-2 Nickel, press-man, LLB showing blitz.
-- Welker motions in towards the slot for a loose bunch at the snap.
-- Another quick hitter to Moss, Brady threw at 2 Mississippi as his plant foot hit. Moss ran a stop two yds past the sticks along the right side line. 2 yds.

1st and 10 NE 25: NE 3-wide, 2 L, TE R.
-- Buf: 4-2 Nickel, man.
-- Baker motions in to slot L, then cracks on the LDE to double him with Light and seal him inside. Welker is blocking his NB. Koppen pulls and gets the RLB at the corner.
-- Toss sweep L. Unfortunately Baker's motion inside brought his CB who is looking directly into the backfield at the snap and sees the play developing. He reacted instantly and hit Maroney in the backfield. LoMo broke his tackle, but that bought time for the pursuit, Maroney made two more miss, but he was off-balance making another cut when pursuit #3, Stroud, smacked him with a big paw while slipping to the ground and knocked LoMo down. -4 yds.

2nd and 14: NE 2-wide, 2 TE R (inside TE is off the LOS), shotgun
-- BUf: 4-2 Nickel
-- Welker motions inside to slot R before the snap to decoy the Bills as Brady watches him in, takes the snap and throws it on the third step to Moss on a stop route on the other side. 6 yds.

3rd and 8: NE 5-wide, 3 R, shotgun
-- Buf: 4-2 Nickel
-- Faulk motions into the backfield from slot L. Buffalo is moving around to try and confuse the coverage read while LBs and Safeties tease blitz.
-- Bills rush 5, NE keeps the TE and RB in for max protect. Nice pocket, 3-step drop and throw as the plant foot comes down. Moss with a comeback to the sideline - nice timing throw. 11 yds.
-- Take a moment to listen to Jaws talk you through Brady setting up the play while watching the replay angles.

1st and 10 NE 38: NE 3-wide, 2 R, TE L
-- Buf: 4-2 Nickel
-- The short outside routes to Moss sets Buffalo up for a deeper pass down the middle for play action. Nice pocket. Moss ran a skinny post from the slot, read the Safety and sat down in the middle of the zone. 18 yds.
-- From the NFL.com game book: NE 81-Moss 851 career receptions, tied with Irving Fryar for 13th best all-time. NE 81-Moss 60th career 100-yard game, 2nd in NFL history.

1st and 10 Buf 44: NE 2-wide L, 2 TE R
-- Buf: 4-2 Nickel, man.
-- Watson motions L 1x1 before the snap.
-- Run, right side. Baker turned the LDE out. Kaczur combo-ed the LDT with Neal before releasing to block the LLB. Neal took the LDT inside and let him pivot around the play. Koppen took the RDT outside and let him pivot around the play. Mankins pulled and missed his block on the SS in the hole. Light got bogged down in Koppen's block and was late to get to the RLB. Watson locked up on the RDE. Maroney followed Mankins into the hole where he was wrapped up by the SS. 3 yds.

2nd and 7: NE 2-wide, 2 TE
-- Buf: 4-2 Nickel, man-free, 3-Safety, 2 in the box for an 8 in the box look, both box Ss showing blitz.
-- Buffalo had a run blitz on with the LBs and backed the Safeties out.
-- Tommy read the blitz and the soft Corners and did a one-step and hit Welker on the L at the LOS. Wes broke the CB's tackle and pinballed for 5 yds.

3rd and 2: NE 3-wide, 2 R, TE R shotgun
-- Buf: 4-2 Nickel, press-man on Moss L, RLB showing blitz outside Light.
-- Welker motions inside to slot R for a bunch duo R.
-- 3-step drop, thrown low and outside where only Moss had a chance. He was tightly covered inside by McKelvin with S help over top. Maroney picked up the blitz. Moss was just unable to dig the ball out. Incomplete.

4th and 2: NE 3-wide, 2 R, TE L, shotgun
-- Buf: 4-3 Nickel, man-free. The SS was playing down near the box.
-- Welker motions inside to the slot for a bunch duo R.
-- Welker trailed Galloway who cleared the R side for him to run an out with a step on the NB. Tommy threw behind him and Wes didn't get himself around fast enough to make the catch. Incomplete.
-- Over to Buffalo on downs at the Buf 36.
5:57 3rd Qtr

I read every single one of these threads you do Box.

I don't say much as I don't like looking stupid :D

I have learned a lot from you and others on the board.

Thank you to those who try and drag the rest of us along. :cool:

I read every single one of these threads you do Box.

I don't say much as I don't like looking stupid :D

I have learned a lot from you and others on the board.

Thank you to those who try and drag the rest of us along. :cool:
Stop greasing your heals, it makes harder for those of us dragging you to get a good grip. :D

Box, I haven't had time to read this latest edition of your break down, but I have a question. Why was the toss sweep the Pats used breaking down. IIRC it worked well the first time they ran it, then every other time there was someone in the backfield almost immediately to break it up. Was it a missed assignment, or were the Bills doing something in response to the formation

Box, I haven't had time to read this latest edition of your break down, but I have a question. Why was the toss sweep the Pats used breaking down. IIRC it worked well the first time they ran it, then every other time there was someone in the backfield almost immediately to break it up. Was it a missed assignment, or were the Bills doing something in response to the formation

That was the question I asked earlier but got no answer. Hopefully you will..

I used search for "toss" and found the three instances where I wrote it up as a toss sweep by the Pats:
- the 1st went for 9 behind Kaczur, Light, and Watson overloaded on the right side, but Light was called for tripping (which I didn't see).
- the 2nd was blown up by Buffalo's speed getting them around the edge ahead of the blockers.
- the 3rd motioned Baker inside to double-team the RDE. Buffalo must have been in man because McKelvin followed Baker inside and was looking into the backfield when the play started - the kid's a return-man and CB, which makes him quick and decisive - he was in the backfield slowing Maroney down like a shot.

Buffalo has a fast, light defense, like Indy. For game one they were healthy and at the top of their game - I think it goes back to your slow developing plays vs Buffalo's quickness and speed.

Yep, and you quickly learn that the majority of people who visit the site really have little interest in the nuts and bolts, they'd rather talk about Peter King.

haha...that's true, but don't let it discourage you.

this stuff is what makes the board really interesting.

by the way, if it helps you at all pro football focus has the bills game up.

Player Participation

haha...that's true, but don't let it discourage you.

this stuff is what makes the board really interesting.

by the way, if it helps you at all pro football focus has the bills game up.

Player Participation
I've needed it once already, so nice to have.

5:57 3rd Qtr

1st and 10 Buf 36: Buf 3-wide, 2 L, TE L
-- NE: 4-2 Nickel; L-R Burgess - Warren - Wilfork - TBC; Guyton - Thomas; Springs - Wilhite - Bodden; McGowan - Meriweather
-- Run, left side 'b' gap. TBC Sets the edge against the TE. Thomas is blocked by the LT. Wilfork is sealed inside by the LG. Wilhite is blocked by the slot WR. Guyton beats the C outside to make the tackle. 4 yds.

2nd and 6: Buf 3-wide, 2 R, TE R
-- NE: 4-2 Nickel
-- Run, behind LG. TBC sets the edge against the LT. Wilfork is combo-ed by the C/LG. LG releases for Guyton who beats him into the hole. Warren is sealed backside by the RT. Thomas is sealed backside by the RG. Guyton gets the first hit, then Warren, Thomas, LG, Springs, and Bodden all combine to form a big scrum. 5 yds.

3rd and 1: Buf 3-wide, 2 L, TE L, shotgun
-- Pass, Owens crossing behind the LBs from the slot. Owens came under the TE who effectively blocked Springs to allow Owens a free release inside. TBC and Burgess forced Edwards up into the pocket where he threatened to run drawing Thomas up and giving Owens room to get behind him where Edwards floated a dump-off to him with room to run. He got a block on Wilhite from Parrish for extra yards before the crowd forced him oob. 27 yds.

1st and 10 NE 28: Buf 3-wide, 2 L, TE L
-- NE: 4-2 Nickel, Meriweather came down in the box while Edwards audibles.
-- Run, left 'b' gap. TBC set the edge against the TE. Thomas locked up with the LT. Wilfork and the LG squared off. Guyton blocked by the C. TBC was able to stack and shed the TE and get a hit on the RB as he got to the LOS - it looked like he applied a 4-3 DE technique using the outside shoulder (if I haven't misunderstood the concept). The RB broke the tackle by retreating into the backfield, where he reversed field to avoid the crowd led by Warren gathering to meet him and was immediately wrapped up and dragged down by a pigskin seeking Meriweather missile. -4 yds.

2nd and 14: Buf 3-wide, 2 R, TE R
-- Pass. TBC beat the LT inside off the snap, drew a holding penalty, and sacked Edwards - but not before slipping down and playing bear trap around his ankle until Edwards went down to avoid getting hit by Burgess.
-- Penalty, offensive holding LT, declined, sack. - 6 yds.

3rd and 20 NE 38: Buf 3-wide, 2 L, TE L, shotgun
-- 4-2 Nickel, Guyton showing blitz over the C, Wright & Green in for Warren and Wilfork.
-- Guyton blitzes, runs a twist stunt with Wright inside. Green jacked the LG back into Edwards as he was releasing. Pass to the TE Schouman, Thomas was late getting over and picking him up and was made to miss. McGowan laid a big hit on him before sliding off, Meriweather's bull dog attempt spins him down as he was spinning off McGowan's hit. 16 yds.

4th and 4: FG. Lindell, 40 yd conversion. NE 10, Buf 17
2:32 3rd Qtr.

BOR:
I've never responded to these breakdowns because frankly there's nothing remotely close to the tremendous insight already provided that I could add. Just wanted to say what you (and unoriginal) do is very much appreciated and highly valued. Thanks for all the time and effort you put in to doing this.

I used search for "toss" and found the three instances where I wrote it up as a toss sweep by the Pats:
- the 1st went for 9 behind Kaczur, Light, and Watson overloaded on the right side, but Light was called for tripping (which I didn't see).
- the 2nd was blown up by Buffalo's speed getting them around the edge ahead of the blockers.
- the 3rd motioned Baker inside to double-team the RDE. Buffalo must have been in man because McKelvin followed Baker inside and was looking into the backfield when the play started - the kid's a return-man and CB, which makes him quick and decisive - he was in the backfield slowing Maroney down like a shot.

Buffalo has a fast, light defense, like Indy. For game one they were healthy and at the top of their game - I think it goes back to your slow developing plays vs Buffalo's quickness and speed.

Yeah, when I saw it blow up the 2nd time, I was thinking that there was something wrong with the scheming of the play. They were just in there too fast. The RB had no chance. And slow developing running plays is one of my pet peeves in our running attack. Ground and pound is an attitude as well as strategy. Our offense NEEDS to develop that attitude if we are going to be a real threat when the weather turns.

We are going to be leading quite a bit going into the 4th quarter, and if we want our skill people to remain healthy, a good clocking killing running attack will be necessary.

Thanks for responding

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
Back