PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

2014 Off-Season Additions for the Offense

Status
Not open for further replies.
Let danny go.

we could get macklin he is coming off a torn acl

This is a perfect example of the problem I have with so many people's opinions of Amendola. People want to cut the guy who had a significant injury but played through it at under 100% and sign the guy that suffered a significant injury and didn't play at all. It's all about the expectations. When a guy goes on IR, there are none. When he does play while injured, everybody has the same expectations as if he were fully healthy.

At this point in time, the $6M bonus, $2M salary, and $353k game bonuses are a sunk cost. Amendola costs $3M plus $31k for each game he plays next season. He'd actually cost more to cut than to keep. Really, there's no reason to even consider cutting him, much less for a guy who missed all of last season.

Let danny go.

we could get macklin he is coming off a torn acl

As has been pointed out 100 times here already, cutting Amendola COSTS money against the cap next year.

#1 they have to upgrade C and RG we have seen it year after year since 2007 they could give Brady every WR and TE in the NFL but if he dose not have time the offense wont even put up 20 points,

#2 they need to sign a mid level vet WR who can get open on the outside. I know they just signed/Drafted 3 rookies but IMO they all look like bottom of the roster type guys and I really hope im wrong on that,

#3 a back up pass catching TE that can get 5 rec a game if he has to start in place of Gronk,

#4 RB I don't see a big need to re-sign Blount. I love with he did vs the bills and colts but both does teams give up almost 5 yards per att to every RB in the NFL. all the pats need is Ridley he has already shown he can go through a full season with 250 plus att.

at the end of the day the pats just need to play better on the road we can talk about the injuries all day but the pats were just not a good road team this year

Saints have already made it clear he will be franchised if no contract is reached

They can do it, but they're already over the cap, and I think Graham's agent has said that he will challenge his labeling as a TE rather than a WR if they franchise him [the WR tag is >$10M].

If we traded for Josh Gordon, we could have had a dynamic offense.

Or he could have been suspended, or he could have gotten injured in his first game as a Patriot and ended up on IR.

Or the Browns might have decided that, unlike Trent Richardson, it made more sense to keep Gordon than trade him.

I don't know what to think about WR. I doubt they keep Edelman - they can't afford to pay him what Amendola makes or they've got two smurfs for 10 million a year.

With Dobson, Thompkins, and Boyce earning ~$2M next year combined, they could afford to keep Edelman and Amendola for one year at ~$5M each. Amendola's contract isn't underwater after 2014.

I really hope we draft some beast O-Linemen and a TE or two.

The Pats have had poor luck with free agent WRs, so I'd prefer to see them make a legit effort to keep Edelman, trust Amendola to come back and give them their money's worth next year, hope Dobson and Boyce develop. That leaves one spot for an upgrade over Thompkins at the "X." I'm thinking they will take a flyer on someone mid to late in the draft.

My hope for them in free agency is to resign Edelman and Talib. The others such as Wendell, Connolly, and Blount would be fine if at the right money. They have to see where Vince is and whether Mankins will extend to see where they are in the market, but if there is any chance to get Alex Mack or Chandler here I'd be happy with them. If not, then they need to upgrade TE, C, and RG in the draft. I'm hoping that happens early (2nd or 3rd round).

I think the TE should come early in the draft. To me, upgrading that position would be the biggest improvement they could make compared to this season. I'm confident Gronk will come back strong - don't forget how young he still is - but they need to make an adjustment with him to help keep him on the field for late season/playoffs. They have Harrison to consider, but there is good depth in this draft to fill that need. I'd love to see them use their #1 on a TE but don't think that will happen (I think they are going DL there). I think there will still be some quality guys gat would fit the bill for them in rounds 2 - 4. If they can get Chandler, this would obviously change my view, but I don't expect that to happen.

What happens if Talib walks obviously changes their need profile a lot. It is painfully apparent what a difference he makes when he is out there. Either way (Talib staying or going) though, I am gonna be shocked if they don't draft another CB mid rounds. They just always need those guys. Regarding safety, I don't expect them to do much but hope Harmon progresses and make a lesser move or two. I think Wilson will be released and don't like Gregory that much so the need is there but lower on my perception of priorities.

Finally, based on what they decide with Vince will, in my opinion, be the most significant variable. I'm not expecting Kelly back and I think they will try to keep Chris Jones and Siliga. That isn't good enough. If they think Vince can come back to close to what he was even this year (not the "peak" Vince which I suspect we will not see again), then I think DT is less of a priority and DE is more of one. If they don't see that for Vince, I think they go for the best DL (end or tackle) they can get in free agency and then use the #1 on the other DL position. If Nix or Tuitt or Murphy or Hageman falls to them at 29 or 30 (not sure about their spot) or within striking distance of a decent trade up, I think they go there.

I would kill for Boldin or Crabtree.

I don't know how one goes about looking for "jacked, violent WR who thrives in traffic" but that's what we should go for.

My issue with Decker is he isn't a true outside guy either.

There's no remotely plausible way to read this without my head exploding from the sheer insanity of this post, but I'm guessing that Decker isn't a 'true outside guy' because white wide receivers can't be 'true outside guys'? Seriously I can't even begin to follow the logic here.

There's no remotely plausible way to read this without my head exploding from the sheer insanity of this post, but I'm guessing that Decker isn't a 'true outside guy' because white wide receivers can't be 'true outside guys'? Seriously I can't even begin to follow the logic here.

He really isn't. There's more to being an outside receiver than height. It's body control, jumping ability, a playing style.

Decker doesn't have it.

He really isn't. There's more to being an outside receiver than height. It's body control, jumping ability, a playing style.

Decker doesn't have it.

Except he's been one of the most consistently productive receivers in football playing as an outside receiver, so even if he 'doesn't have it' he's doing something right.

Anquan Boldin.

how much money do they have for a wide receiver? A lot of other positional needs on offense....

Feels like we've been pursuing Anquan Boldin for forever... why don't we give him a go??

Feels like we've been pursuing Anquan Boldin for forever... why don't we give him a go??

This is the year we can finally truly pursue him. We got blocked by Baltimore twice during the pursuit of Boldin (Baltimore trading him to SF was purely just so Baltimore wouldn't have to cut Boldin and making it easy for us to sign him).

This is the year we can finally truly pursue him. We got blocked by Baltimore twice during the pursuit of Boldin (Baltimore trading him to SF was purely just so Baltimore wouldn't have to cut Boldin and making it easy for us to sign him).

While I do love him he's not exactly the answer. He's older and doesn't show up every game. He'd drive Brady crazy.

Kenny Britt...

I'd like to see them take a run at him.

Talib and Edelman are going require adjustments from Wilfork. I see Kelly and his contract as good as gone. Talk to Mankins about some adjustments.

They lose Spikes to FA.

There might still be some available money out there for a guy like Nicks if they redo Wilfork and Mankins, and perhaps they will also have to cut Kelly and even Steve Gregory at this point.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3