PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

2014 Off-Season Additions for the Offense

Status
Not open for further replies.
Kenny Britt...

I'd like to see them take a run at him.

Talib and Edelman are going require adjustments from Wilfork. I see Kelly and his contract as good as gone. Talk to Mankins about some adjustments.

They lose Spikes to FA.

There might still be some available money out there for a guy like Nicks if they redo Wilfork and Mankins, and perhaps they will also have to cut Kelly and even Steve Gregory at this point.

Britt is explosive. The only concern is how much $ they would have tied up in Amendola and Britt, and still need to shore up the O-line and TE spots...

I would be happy with one mid-level WR signing (we aren't going to get an impact guy in FA, have to hope Dobson or Boyce evolves into that), then concentrate the remaining resources for offense on extending one of the RBs, maybe Vereen too, getting another TE, and rebuilding the interior of the line.

Addressing the line is doubly urgent because barring a restructure, 2014 is likely Mankins' last year with the Pats.

On offense: FA- C Alex Mack and WR Hakeem Nicks. Draft: TE and G.

Summary:
Trenches: Mack and OG draftee thus check.

Vertical game:
Nicks, Dobson

Middle of the field: Gronk, Amendola, TE draftee

And i haven't mentioned the backfield with Ridley, Vereen and hopefully Blount.

P.S. You're welcome Brady now go get it ;)

Britt is explosive. The only concern is how much $ they would have tied up in Amendola and Britt, and still need to shore up the O-line and TE spots...
Britt is not explosive. He tore his ACL in 2011 and hasn't been the same player since. He was the worst WR in the NFL this season. Depending on which numbers you use, he dropped somewhere between 25 and 40% of his catchable balls last year. He had an 8.7 YPC. He had fewer yards than Josh Boyce last season. He also committed five penalties for 50 yards and received a 21 yard pass interference, meaning his net contribution to the offense was 67 yards. So in those 12 games he played, he averaged 5.58 net yards per game.

On the bright side, you'll be pleasantly surprised that cost would not be an issue. The report going around at the trade deadline was that "If you have a 12-pack of Coke and athletic tape, you can have Kenny Britt." Obviously no team bit on that, so there's no reason to expect that any team wants to pay him any worthwhile amount of money either. He's a vet minimum kind of free agent, vet min plus incentives if he's lucky.

Well if they end up splurging for ALex Mack, Britt might be an option because they won't have money for any other WR

Id rather pass on a WR all together if it means Britt or nothing.

Nobody said go after Britt first. I think you're saying it backwards. The other posters wanted Alex Mack, who is going to be expensive for the O-line. If they put the big money on other positions, then they can't get the other wideouts people have named. I may agree with you that hoping for our rookies to progress may be better than Britt. But, it's a huge gamble as the offense has needed a legit outside receiver for years now and it really hurt the offense this year.

I don't understand why so many keep feeling that Belichick is foaming at the mouth to bring in Kenny Britt--a known malcontent who is everything opposite of what this team stands for?

On top of that, in order to "get" this offense and be productive, you need to be fairly intelligent. I don't look at Kenny Britt and get the feeling that he's somehow intelligent enough that he'll come here and instantly pick up our system.

Now....if people are wanting to sign him to a small deal and give him a chance, along with some other options, then I can reasonably understand that, and I'd even be happy with it. As long as we explore other, more viable options, and take an extremely low risk shot, then I say bring in anyone who can possibly have any potential to compete and contribute.

I don't understand why so many keep feeling that Belichick is foaming at the mouth to bring in Kenny Britt--a known malcontent who is everything opposite of what this team stands for?

On top of that, in order to "get" this offense and be productive, you need to be fairly intelligent. I don't look at Kenny Britt and get the feeling that he's somehow intelligent enough that he'll come here and instantly pick up our system.

Now....if people are wanting to sign him to a small deal and give him a chance, along with some other options, then I can reasonably understand that, and I'd even be happy with it. As long as we explore other, more viable options, and take an extremely low risk shot, then I say bring in anyone who can possibly have any potential to compete and contribute.
Truthfully supa, I doubt New England will do much of anything other than re-sign the players it wants at team friendly contracts, bring in a few veterans at bargain rates and trade back in the draft to accumulate more picks adding greater depth to the roster.

Truthfully supa, I doubt New England will do much of anything other than re-sign the players it wants at team friendly contracts, bring in a few veterans at bargain rates and trade back in the draft to accumulate more picks adding greater depth to the roster.

You know I'm all for trading down/out to accumulate more picks in the draft, but I can also envision an additional WR being brought in too. It was just such a weakness this year that it reminds me of 2006 all over again when Belichick attacked the position in the offseason.

I don't think they'll be making enormous monetary splashes at the position, but I can certainly envision one more WR being sought after. Normally, I'm not one to advocate such a move (ever), but I just think that we need more options to make another strong run. This isn't a given, and we've basically blown our past 3 appearances in a row in the AFCCG/SB.

Emmanuel Sanders, James Jones, possibly even Jeremy Maclin on a one-year deal due to his injury....something that would be "reasonable" in price, but could make a big difference as Dobson/Boyce continue to develop.

My concern is that they'll put too much stock in the fact that one of Dobson/Boyce (I've given up on Thompkins, right or wrong) will develop fully enough, and the reality will be that we'll be looking at more of a "Tate-like" season in year #2 from them, as opposed to what they'll envision.

I want to see an offense who can overcome the expected injuries again, and the addition of one more good candidate could really make that happen.

We'll never be the past 2 seasons' version of the Denver Broncos offense, with those kinds of weapons, but I almost feel like we NEED one more capable player to be a threat in terms of what they can offer to Brady.

We'll never be the past 2 seasons' version of the Denver Broncos offense, with those kinds of weapons, but I almost feel like we NEED one more capable player to be a threat in terms of what they can offer to Brady.
The New England Patriots have the option to select a tight end in the first round of the 2014 NFL Draft, if Bill Belichick decides to go back to the two tight end offense.

NFL Draft - 2014 NFL Draft Prospects - CBSSports.com - NFLDraftScout.com

Austin Seferian-Jenkins, TE, Washington, NFL Draft - CBSSports.com - NFLDraftScout.com

RB - Ridley/Vereen
TE - Gronkowski
TE - Seferian-Jenkins
WR - Dobson/Thompkins
WR - Amendola/Boyce

The New England Patriots have the option to select a tight end in the first round of the 2014 NFL Draft, if Bill Belichick decides to go back to the two tight end offense.

NFL Draft - 2014 NFL Draft Prospects - CBSSports.com - NFLDraftScout.com

Austin Seferian-Jenkins, TE, Washington, NFL Draft - CBSSports.com - NFLDraftScout.com

RB - Ridley/Vereen
TE - Gronkowski
TE - Seferian-Jenkins
WR - Dobson/Thompkins
WR - Amendola/Boyce

Now, THAT I can get on board with.

I think we increase our odds a bit with the TE position, because they can have more limited assignments that can increase over the course of the season, much like Gronk/Hernandez in 2010.

I have given up on Thompkins however, so I don't agree with keeping him as you have listed above--unless it's for depth purposes only. I can't imagine any scenario where Thompkins is going to be depended upon as much as this year, and I would think that a good attempt will be made to retain Edelman.

My concern is that they'll put too much stock in the fact that one of Dobson/Boyce (I've given up on Thompkins, right or wrong) will develop fully enough, and the reality will be that we'll be looking at more of a "Tate-like" season in year #2 from them, as opposed to what they'll envision.

I want to see an offense who can overcome the expected injuries again, and the addition of one more good candidate could really make that happen.

Dobson was on pace for a really nice season before he fractured his foot. I think he is your answer on the outside. remember receiver is one of the positions that takes the biggest jump year 1 to 2. look at some of those guys like alshon jeffrey this year who did nothing their rookie years.

sure he didnt have the year keenan allen did. but dobson showed he can get this offense and produce.

Boyce showed me something as well in his limited action this season against miami

With a WR, they could be the Broncos of last year again. After all, the Patriots offense was better than the Broncos offense of last year.

4th best of all-time. Let's not forget that.

With a WR, they could be the Broncos of last year again. After all, the Patriots offense was better than the Broncos offense of last year.

4th best of all-time. Let's not forget that.

And since then the Broncos added Welker, developed a TE threat in Thomas, broke the all time scoring record as well as Brady's TD record. Pats made a catastrophic mistake in giving $29M over 5 years to Amendola, went with 3 WR rookies, lost 1 TE for sure and another TE to injury.

The broncos are paying their #4 receiver $6M a year, and may be even cut him. You can talk about how great they did, but it wasn't because they paid one of their TE's $6M a year.

And since then the Broncos added Welker, developed a TE threat in Thomas, broke the all time scoring record as well as Brady's TD record. Pats made a catastrophic mistake in giving $29M over 5 years to Amendola, went with 3 WR rookies, lost 1 TE for sure and another TE to injury.

The broncos are paying their #4 receiver $6M a year, and may be even cut him. You can talk about how great they did, but it wasn't because they paid one of their TE's $6M a year.

It's the same money the team could have spent to keep said receiver. By the way, same said receiver despite injuries still had 200 yards more receiving, as the #4 option on that team, than the player the Pats signed for the same $6M and who had every opportunity to produce more when there were no other strong options.

But that's water under the bridge. Brady lost his TD record and the Pats lost the scoring record, in a small indirect way by helping the Broncos become even more potent of an offense.

The Broncos aren't going to cut Julius Thomas, who's their #4 receiver. He's also not making $6m. Their #2 receiver is making $6m. Belichick did a pretty good job of burning any remnants of a bridge with that guy when he stupidly accused him of trying to injure Talib.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back