PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Another unsung hero: Dorsett

Status
Not open for further replies.
Will he be able to make the roster next year though with Edelman/Mitchell back?

Cooks
Edelman
Hogan
Amendola *Free Agent*
Mitchell
Slater *Free Agent*
Britt

Only see him back if they don't re-sign Amendola.

On the other hand, think of the high wire act you'd be dealing with if you went into a season relying on the health of

Edelman, post-ACL
Hogan
Mitchell
Slater (who's a STer anyway)
Amendola (though TB12 + managed play has been good for his injury status, of late)

and the successful integration, and good behavior, of Britt.

Cooks
Edelman
Hogan
Amendola *Free Agent*
Mitchell
Slater *Free Agent*
Britt

You forgot Britt -- er, you edited as I hit reply!

I expect us to also draft a receiver. As much as I love this current corp, Mitchell is the only youngster (Cooks is also young, but a multi year vet), and he's already missed half his promising young career due to injury. We need to keep the development pipeline going.

Haven't watched the replay of the Dorsett catch, but I remember my thoughts at the time:

1) I remember thinking it was a very difficult catch to make, in that he needed to come back through the defender to make it

2) I remember thinking that we needed badly for another receiver to step up, because Hogan was either still less than 100% or being taken out by the defense

It was a huge play!

Does anyone know what the cap hit would be if we cut Brit?

Cooks
Edelman
Hogan
Amendola *Free Agent*
Mitchell
Slater *Free Agent*
Britt

Slater is a special-teamer and hasn't figured into WR calculations for years - well except among the mediots.

Britt has no automatic advantage over Dorsett.

Does anyone know what the cap hit would be if we cut Brit?

Zero. No dead money.

However, cutting him saves a net of only $973k. Cutting Dorsett saves only about $1.1M net.

Be kinda silly to cut guys before the end of Camp who have experience in the system and who are working for cheap unless they're really horrible and have no upside left to explore during the summer on the 90-man roster.

That will be interesting then. Could possibly be a shoot between Britt and Dorsett then.

And possibly another player who isn't here yet.

And Amendola could be gone by then.

Any way you slice it, the Patriots are currently on pace to have a lot of receivers fighting for jobs, and that's a good thing. As of now, if we assume Amendola doesn't move on, it shakes out to 7 fighting for 5.

Cooks/Dorsett - outside and deep speed
Edelman/Amendola - 3rd down binkies who thrive in the short(er) spaces
Mitchell/Britt/Hogan - The three more generalize receivers

Whether they are all back for the offseason and training camp, or not, I'd love to see the team bring in the next Welker/Edelman type.

Cooks
Edelman
Hogan
Amendola *Free Agent*
Mitchell
Slater *Free Agent*
Britt

You'll see him back because he's under contract for cheap dollars. No reason not to bring him back when 4 of the receivers you listed are at least somewhat vulnerable to injury concerns, and another one isn't a receiver.

Cooks
Edelman
Hogan
Amendola *Free Agent*
Mitchell
Slater *Free Agent*
Britt

Dola on the bubble again. Poor Dola. He's the Patron Saint of Third and Long, and he still can't get his own fanbase to believe he should be in our uniform next year.

To be perfectly blunt about it. Malcolm Mitchell has some proving to do if he wants me to believe in him next year. The whole concern about him from the draft was his fragility. I'm not gonna propose to give a roster spot in perpetuity to a guy made of glass just because of what he might be when Dorsett's got all the potential he needs to be that guy anyway.

Cooks, Edelman and Hogan are guaranteed. Amendola is almost definitely here next year. Slater is probably gone. Britt honestly is going to have to battle in camp, and so will Dorsett and Mitchell. It'll come down to who can deliver most in special teams.

If you have not seen it, check out NFL freed highlight of his catch. It was a tough throw to catch.

Dola on the bubble again. Poor Dola. He's the Patron Saint of Third and Long, and he still can't get his own fanbase to believe he should be in our uniform next year.

To be perfectly blunt about it. Malcolm Mitchell has some proving to do if he wants me to believe in him next year. The whole concern about him from the draft was his fragility. I'm not gonna propose to give a roster spot in perpetuity to a guy made of glass just because of what he might be when Dorsett's got all the potential he needs to be that guy anyway.

Cooks, Edelman and Hogan are guaranteed. Amendola is almost definitely here next year. Slater is probably gone. Britt honestly is going to have to battle in camp, and so will Dorsett and Mitchell. It'll come down to who can deliver most in special teams.

This isn't as easy as "Yeah, he's definitely back".

Amendola is currently 32 years old. He is not under contract for next season. It is rumored that McDaniels will be coaching the Colts next season. It is rumored that Patricia will be coaching the Lions next season. One, or both, of those men would likely be interested in Amendola if he were to make himself available, and other teams might also have some interest in him as a short term signing.

This

2017-AFC-Championship-Game-Tom-Brady-and-Danny-Amendola-OQYa1-600w.jpg

may be love, but it's not necessarily the kind of love that will keep Danny "Playoffs" in New England next season, especially if he's asked to come back on short money again. All parties have to want the reunion enough to work out the details. Only time will tell about that.

I wouldn't say Cooks is guaranteed. We still have to retain him on a reasonable multi-year contract.

I wouldn't say Cooks is guaranteed. We still have to retain him on a reasonable multi-year contract.

Cooks is under contract for 2018. So, unless you think BB would cut him loose after this season, instead of paying him his $8,459,000 (which may be what you're saying), Cooks is guaranteed.

This isn't as easy as "Yeah, he's definitely back".

Amendola is currently 32 years old. He is not under contract for next season. It is rumored that McDaniels will be coaching the Colts next season. It is rumored that Patricia will be coaching the Lions next season. One, or both, of those men would likely be interested in Amendola if he were to make himself available, and other teams might also have some interest in him as a short term signing.

This

2017-AFC-Championship-Game-Tom-Brady-and-Danny-Amendola-OQYa1-600w.jpg

may be love, but it's not necessarily the kind of love that will keep Danny "Playoffs" in New England next season, especially if he's asked to come back on short money again. All parties have to want the reunion enough to work out the details. Only time will tell about that.

Yup. He could extend his career and offer valuable character to either new coach. WR will be an interesting situation. Never seen this many veterans competing.

I said it in another thread. While Dorsett has largely been MIA this season, he is still a talented guy, former first rounder who hauled in a great catch. That was difficult and clutch.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents