PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

BB’s conflict of interest is behind the imbalance

ElMarko

Rookie
Reaction score
The fact that BB has his sons coaching defense has been discussed thoroughly, yet I believe that the most salient aspect of the conflict of interest is at the heart of the team’s imbalance. As a father your natural instinct is to set it up for your children to have the best chance possible to succeed. The team has become so one sided and imbalanced I believe it has to do with his instinct to ensure his sons succeed. Although the prevailing thought was that BB was an old school smashmouth style coach, I don’t think that is entirely true as earlier in his tenure he would see how the league was trending and adapt the style of team to succeed in that environment. He got Moss, Welker, and Stallworth when he saw the league wanted to open up the air game. Now he seems oddly fixated solely on the defense, to the point of total neglect of the offense. I can understand the misses on skill players (not at his rate though) but even an untrained fan could watch the offensive line turn into absolute garbage over the last 3 years. I don’t care if you have Brady, Moss and Welker in their prime, a terrible offensive line is a death sentence. The only conclusion I can come up with for this is that he has become myopic to the point of neglect with the offense due to his desire to create a successful path for his sons and demand for them as coaches after he retires.

I've been saying this for a while. With gaping holes at T and WR, you take defensive players with the first 3 picks? (Gonzo is likely going to be really good but that's the type of player at that position you get when your house is more or less in order up and down the roster). That's not by mistake. The only thing that makes sense is that consciously or unconsciously, BB is trying to help his kids out.

I've been saying this for a while. With gaping holes at T and WR, you take defensive players with the first 3 picks? (Gonzo is likely going to be really good but that's the type of player at that position you get when your house is more or less in order up and down the roster). That's not by mistake. The only thing that makes sense is that consciously or unconsciously, BB is trying to help his kids out.

I'm not sure, I agree. The first three picks all look like good choices, so I understand that we needed offense more, but I think Bill overrated his offensive line.

Bill just makes bad decisions overall, like not keeping Meyers. Obviously he felt JuJu was an upgrade for the offense. Bill played the entire season without a backup QB, spent all camp trying to teach Cunningham WR/Sow tackle, then played both in different positions not used as pros, and we won't mention Patricia, not straightening out special teams coaching, and the decisions he made the year before on the chosen offensive players.

I don't think this is a fair criticism. He has spent the draft capital on offense, just poorly. I have no problems with this year's selections.

I have just entered the parallel universe where folks believe BB's focus on defense it to leave a legacy for his kids...
Does anyone remember his defensive game plan that is in the HOF from Superbowl XXV..
Or his game plan to stop the "Greatest Show on Turf" in SB XXXVI..
There many examples of being thought of as one the greatest defensive minds in the NFL..
Give me a freaking break that this is about his kids..

The fact that BB has his sons coaching defense has been discussed thoroughly, yet I believe that the most salient aspect of the conflict of interest is at the heart of the team’s imbalance. As a father your natural instinct is to set it up for your children to have the best chance possible to succeed. The team has become so one sided and imbalanced I believe it has to do with his instinct to ensure his sons succeed. Although the prevailing thought was that BB was an old school smashmouth style coach, I don’t think that is entirely true as earlier in his tenure he would see how the league was trending and adapt the style of team to succeed in that environment. He got Moss, Welker, and Stallworth when he saw the league wanted to open up the air game. Now he seems oddly fixated solely on the defense, to the point of total neglect of the offense. I can understand the misses on skill players (not at his rate though) but even an untrained fan could watch the offensive line turn into absolute garbage over the last 3 years. I don’t care if you have Brady, Moss and Welker in their prime, a terrible offensive line is a death sentence. The only conclusion I can come up with for this is that he has become myopic to the point of neglect with the offense due to his desire to create a successful path for his sons and demand for them as coaches after he retires.
*scratches head* I'm not sure i understand this...

you think BB is deliberately ignoring the offense (OL included) in favor of bulking up the defense so his sons coaching resumes look good? Sacrificing his own shot at coaching immortality by chasing down shulas atw record? Is fine with being embarrassed in what may very well be his last year in New England with a 2-10 record? You do realize that being part of a winning team does more to open doors, does more for the reputation of his sons than posting mediocre defensive stats on a ****ty team will ever do, right?

Whether or not you "like" his sons or not, they are veteran NFL coaches in their own right.

Steve has been coaching with this team since 2012. This is his eleventh year in the NFL... Brian started in 2016 as a scouting assistant, then starting coaching in 2017... this is his sixth season as a coach in the NFL. They have been given **** on a shingle by dad and they have done good things coaching up some questionable talent. they dont need dad to juryrig the system...

tldr version: So, yeah, your brilliant theory is a bunch of ******** and i feel dumber for reading it.

Last edited:
I have just entered the parallel universe where folks believe BB's focus on defense it to leave a legacy for his kids...
Does anyone remember his defensive game plan that is in the HOF from Superbowl XXV..
There many examples of being thought of as one the greatest defensive minds in the NFL..

Agree. He has always been defense.

He spent a 2nd rounder on a WR in the previous draft.
He spent a first rounder on the line the same year.
The RB was a high pick a couple of years ago.
He spent like $60 million a few years back at TE.
The QB was the highest pick they had in years.
This year he chose three of the highest offensive guards/center taken.

The only thing obvious is Bill sucks picking offense.

His kids are gonna get the heave-ho when he does. My advice is to put down the crack pipe.

The daggers are out for BB. It's all just matter of coming up with narratives to justify the daggers.

His kids are gonna get the heave-ho when he does. My advice is to put down the crack pipe.
Unless Mayo or Mcdaniels is the guy and they want to stay.
I’m not counting out Mcdaniels as Hc in waiting.
Kraft loves him.

Unless Mayo or Mcdaniels is the guy and they want to stay.
I’m not counting out Mcdaniels as Hc in waiting.
Kraft loves him.
I want Josh back here. As the OC

BUT (thats a big but)

not as the Head Coach. Guy is toxic as a HC.

Even if that was a consideration for the Krafts, why would McDaniels want the gig when he’s owed $11 million a year for the next four years from the Raiders? With offsets, he’d be working for free.

This right here. Bill continues investing in the defense to keep his kids looking good.

star-wars-darth-vader.gif

I post this in the Tuesday thread, Bill is unchanged.
If you really get into it, I think we will find that he's gotten his core offensive skill players from guys already in the league. Patten, Fauria, Smith, Dillon, Moss, Welker, Amendola, Stallworth, Gaffney, Blount, Hogan all were vets in the league. The home grown offensive talent is a much shorter list: Branch, Ben Watson, Edelman, Gronk, the other TE idiot, Sweet Feet, Sony (yeah I know he's polarizing), and of course Brady. Bill builds defense and OL via draft, fills in the rest with FAs, and he's missed on a bunch of late because he doesn't have the QB to lift them up.

I guess if you really analyze it, not much has changed. This is how he does it.

This is the dumbest argument in the history of this board.

The Simpsons Noob GIF by FOX TV

I'll give you the benefit of the doubt because you don't post (despite a 2004 join date, wow) and blame Belichick for creating the potential for such criticism with having his sons on staff. But I also haven't seen anything to suggest his kids aren't doing a good job. Hard to tell really.

I don't know what the salary cap split is better O and D, but you can find several misses or overpriced contracts on offence whereas you don't see the same on D.

I think it's as simple as people have already said and that is that Belichick simply isn't as good at acquiring talent on the offensive side.

I'll give you the benefit of the doubt because you don't post (despite a 2004 join date, wow) and blame Belichick for creating the potential for such criticism with having his sons on staff. But I also haven't seen anything to suggest his kids aren't doing a good job. Hard to tell really.

I don't know what the salary cap split is better O and D, but you can find several misses or overpriced contracts on offence whereas you don't see the same on D.

I think it's as simple as people have already said and that is that Belichick simply isn't as good at acquiring talent on the offensive side.
The retreads bother me more than the family stuff. It’s obvious they need some new ideas and new voices and they’re bringing back Judge, Patricia, O’Brien, etc. But yeah, in the end if they had the players, none if this would matter much.

It's not the reason the offense sucks but it's not an insane thing to throw in the pot

Guess what? Bill's defensive game plan from Super Bowl XXV is 6 inches to the left of being in the garbage bin of football history just like every other well intentioned game plan.

It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
Back