PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

BGC 2024 QB/PTP Thread

I heard Felger & Mazz talking today about some mock that had JJ McCarthy to us at #3 “what a nightmare”.

I think McCarthy has a very good chance to be a bust, because he is more of an athlete than a football player

He is not accurate & he has no touch in my eyes

He can run fast in a straight line, Oh boy !
He can run fast sideways, too. Bonus!

He can run fast sideways, too. Bonus!

JJM did have an exceptional 3cone which confirms, what you can see on tape, that he is very good moving in tight spaces like the pocket, and, as you can see on his Combine video, that his footwork is solid. McCarthy just turned 21 in January. Be careful comparing JJM at 21 years old to Penix, Nix, and Daniels at 23/24 years old. JJM can sit out and learn 2 years in the NFL and still be younger than Daniels/Penix/Nix are right now.

I heard Felger & Mazz talking today about some mock that had JJ McCarthy to us at #3 “what a nightmare”.

I think McCarthy has a very good chance to be a bust, because he is more of an athlete than a football player

He is not accurate & he has no touch in my eyes

He can run fast in a straight line, Oh boy !
I get the accurate and touch issues
I notice that myself
At times he is not accurate. He also seems to throw the fastball most of the time

But saying that he is very accurate at times with 3rd down or game on line
Makes some sick throws. So he can be accurate

I think the accuracy can be taught, The touch part is going to take a lot of practice

He does not just run fast in a straight line. His 3 cone was great
His mobility footwork looked good

At 21 years old. Strong arm and played in cold weather. Leader and Winner. Seems to have the IT factor in big games and important situations
With a trade down to get more assets. Sit for a year to learn. I’m in. But not at 3

Back in their Oklahoma days, the legend of Caleb Williams was born when he, as the backup to Spencer Rattler, came in to lead the Sooners to victory over rival Texas.

Brady almost did the same thing against the Nick Saban-coached Spartans in East Lansing in 1999.

Drew Henson and Spencer Rattler put their respective teams in a hole. Both were regarded as can’t miss blue chip five stars.

The chanting heard on the broadcast is just brutal to Rattler.

What he did at South Carolina after he transferred there with a crapfest OL is truly impressive. I am rooting for the kid.

Wouldn’t it be something if his nfl career surpasses Williams’?

Back in their Oklahoma days, the legend of Caleb Williams was born when he, as the backup to Spencer Rattler, came in to lead the Sooners to victory over rival Texas.

Brady almost did the same thing against the Nick Saban-coached Spartans in East Lansing in 1999.

Drew Henson and Spencer Rattler put their respective teams in a hole. Both were regarded as can’t miss blue chip five stars.

What he did at South Carolina after he transferred there with a crapfest OL is truly impressive. I am rooting for the kid.

Would love Rattler on a Double dip @ QB. :cool:

I swear sometimes watching college games feels like watching the NBA all star game.

What are your thoughts on Kedon Slovis? He caught my eye at the combine and after watching his tape he looks very confident in the pocket. He showed he can run with the best of them.

The impossible job of assessing QBs when everything that matters is what's between the ears. Peripheral vision, reaction time, calm heartbeat, toughness. It's all very funny stuff. I mean, I don't think Brady would ever be considered for MENSA (and that's putting it kindly) but he is the Albert Einstein of playing in the pocket and reading defenses as a QB.

The impossible job of assessing QBs when everything that matters is what's between the ears. Peripheral vision, reaction time, calm heartbeat, toughness. It's all very funny stuff. I mean, I don't think Brady would ever be considered for MENSA (and that's putting it kindly) but he is the Albert Einstein of playing in the pocket and reading defenses as a QB.

That is why I like JJM. He ran a pro style offense at Michigan, so there is some projection to the NFL. The other QBs ran simplified college offenses, so it is a crap shoot what will happen when they start in the NFL. JJM could have been better, and he is 21 so no-one knows how he will mature, but at least he has a head start on the other guys.

Agree, but regarding Bradys nonfootball intellect,keep in mind that Michigan is among the most academically challenging colleges in the country outside of the Ivies.
Onwenu also an alum, is representing himself as a fa. Dummies don't do that, not even with help.
I'm sure Big Mike is consulting people but he's still gotta have the smarts to sort all the info he's getting and weigh it all out.

Agree, but regarding Bradys nonfootball intellect,keep in mind that Michigan is among the most academically challenging colleges in the country outside of the Ivies.
Onwenu also an alum, is representing himself as a fa. Dummies don't do that, not even with help.
I'm sure Big Mike is consulting people but he's still gotta have the smarts to sort all the info he's getting and weigh it all out.
They don't take academics seriously. Brady didn't know where New England was. They rout 90% of the team through a fake major. Look at North Carolina, also one of the top publics, and they had totally fake classes that players never attended, and whatever paper (1!) they had to write was written by a student hired by the AD for that purpose.

That is why I like JJM. He ran a pro style offense at Michigan, so there is some projection to the NFL. The other QBs ran simplified college offenses, so it is a crap shoot what will happen when they start in the NFL. JJM could have been better, and he is 21 so no-one knows how he will mature, but at least he has a head start on the other guys.
I like Caleb Williams for the flipside of this. Even if he can't read defenses, he can throw on the run, make space for himself, and make incredible off-platform throws. LOL. Defenses can't dictate to him.

Hoping for another QB who "gets it" in the pocket is a 50/50 proposition at best.

They don't take academics seriously. Brady didn't know where New England was. They rout 90% of the team through a fake major. Look at North Carolina, also one of the top publics, and they had totally fake classes that players never attended, and whatever paper (1!) they had to write was written by a student hired by the AD for that purpose.
Hmm. Could be. You're right about UNC. I live in NC and it was ridiculous what they were doing.

I know this is unfair to the kid and has nothing to do with his potential as a QB, but man when Maye talks, he does this quick shrug of the shoulders every few seconds that's really unnerving.

Watching his Pro Day, Bo Nix has an arm. I'm calculating at least 67 air yards on one completed throw. Gotta be honest. I hated on the guy in the beginning of the process months ago, but he's really grown on me.

Watching his Pro Day, Bo Nix has an arm. I'm calculating at least 67 air yards on one completed throw. Gotta be honest. I hated on the guy in the beginning of the process months ago, but he's really grown on me.
Assume u saw this kid floating out there

@BaconGrundleCandy - Looking at Pratt, he's really consistent with his accuracy out to 20 yards. Is it a lack of arm strength for 21+, ball placement or something else that caused the drop-off?

It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
Back