PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

BGC 2024 QB/PTP Thread

JJ McCarthy is overrated. He played in a sophisticated West Coast offense at Michigan that featured a DOMINANT running attack. He played within the system, showed savvy, brains, and heart down the stretch.

That said he will prove an inconsistent game manager. He lacked explosive plays at Michigan. He was a dink and dunker in playaction after the Michigan offense had proven they could run the ball at will.

JJ McCarthy has an average arm. To compensate he has to drive his long passes, of which there were few at Michigan.

Also, he hasn’t shown the ability to be good at progression reads.

He does shine in making calls at the line, esp for running plays, and showing off his athleticism when the protection breaks down. This was almost always because of a free blitzer.

In short he has less talent than Zach Wilson.

Drafting JJM with our first will set the franchise back for years.

Quick question:
Washington signed Mariota in offseason and traded Howell

Mariota is definately a duel threat QB
Which QB more represents Mariota
Daniels or Maye. Since they will design an Offense around similar QB’s

JJ McCarthy is overrated. He played in a sophisticated West Coast offense at Michigan that featured a DOMINANT running attack. He played within the system, showed savvy, brains, and heart down the stretch.

That said he will prove an inconsistent game manager. He lacked explosive plays at Michigan. He was a dink and dunker in playaction after the Michigan offense had proven they could run the ball at will.

JJ McCarthy has an average arm. To compensate he has to drive his long passes, of which there were few at Michigan.

Also, he hasn’t shown the ability to be good at progression reads.

He does shine in making calls at the line, esp for running plays, and showing off his athleticism when the protection breaks down. This was almost always because of a free blitzer.

In short he has less talent than Zach Wilson.

Drafting JJM with our first will set the franchise back for years.
They don’t even play in the National championship game if he doesn’t step up vs Alabama. One of the few contests where the running game faltered a bit against an elite defense that already took down LSU with two draft ready corners and a beastly pass rush. They were hot going down the stretch too. That was an impressive performance. .

I’m still higher on Maye and Daniels but McCarthy does seem to have the it factor teams are looking for. It kind of nags at me a bit knowing there is a possibility he could be great and we miss on him. I

You can put all the grades and comparisons on paper, it doesn’t mean squat unless you hit. Doesn’t mean you were wrong either had said player been drafted into the right situation where he may have flourished.

They don’t even play in the National championship game if he doesn’t step up vs Alabama. One of the few contests where the running game faltered a bit against an elite defense that already took down LSU with two draft ready corners and a beastly pass rush. They were hot going down the stretch too. That was an impressive performance. .

I’m still higher on Maye and Daniels but McCarthy does seem to have the it factor teams are looking for. It kind of nags at me a bit knowing there is a possibility he could be great and we miss on him. I

You can put all the grades and comparisons on paper, it doesn’t mean squat unless you hit. Doesn’t mean you were wrong either had said player been drafted into the right situation where he may have flourished.
IMG_1213.jpeg

Hi howaya, did somebody mention the “it factor”? Jambalaya!

QBs Pats have had contact with according to NESN.

Top 30 visit
  • - Drake Maye
  • - Jayden Daniels
  • - J.J McCarthy
Combine
  • - Caleb Williams
  • - Drake Maye
  • - Jayden Daniels
  • - J.J McCarthy
  • - Bo Nix
Senior Bowl
  • - Spencer Rattler
  • - Joe Milton
  • - Sam Hartman
Shrine Bowl

- Kedon Slovis

Pro-Day
- Drake Maye
- Jayden Daniels

Penix is notable name not on the list at combine. Although they sent scouting director Cam Williams to Penix’s pro-day, while Mayo/Wolf/Groh/Van Pelt went to Maye's on the same day.

Quick question:

Mariota was a dual threat QB, he's not really anymore. He's pretty immobile now, kinda like Cam when he was here, only smaller.

Quick question:

I keep waffling between, "They got rid of Maye's best friend, so it won't get weird," and your sentiment, although yeah I think those legs are mostly shot now (still showing some speed last year).

So where are the BCG favorites? Did I miss them?

My favs: Penix and Rattler. They won’t be busts like Jaden Daniels, JJ McCarthy, or Caleb Williams.

Spencer Rattler is smooth like Brady. He was rated #1 out of high school. And that was no fluke. Elite arm talent. Who cares about his crappy Combine 40 time and agility drill. Sounds like Brady.

Setbacks and benching have matured Rattler a lot. Dude had a sh-t show at OL at South Carolina. Fourteen different starters. In the NFL he will have the last laugh. Just like Brady.

I keep waffling between, "They got rid of Maye's best friend, so it won't get weird," and your sentiment, although yeah I think those legs are mostly shot now (still showing some speed last year).
I have heard the Maye’s best friend theory.
Playing devil’s advocate could their philosophy of getting rid of Howell be they did not want to piss off Howell, passing on his bestie taking Daniels.
Or simply since Howell was the starter and is competitive. He would not be the best teammate at the QB position if he was in competition for it

I have heard the Maye’s best friend theory.
Playing devil’s advocate could their philosophy of getting rid of Howell be they did not want to piss off Howell, passing on his bestie taking Daniels.
Or simply since Howell was the starter and is competitive. He would not be the best teammate at the QB position if he was in competition for it
Great points.

Coach Mayo wants tough football players. Corky acting as if his legs were blown off at the Battle of the Bulge when he sprained his ankle playing Ravens a couple of seasons ago made his teammates lose confidence in him.

That was obvious when he was knocked down and no offensive linemen would go to help him up except Strange69 Gucci jeans.

So we learned. The team that drafts Caleb Crybaby Williams is gonna get themselves a good ole fashioned bust.

Anyone with eyes can see Bo Nix or Spencer Rattler are going to have a better career.

Coach Mayo wants tough football players. Corky acting as if his legs were blown off at the Battle of the Bulge when he sprained his ankle playing Ravens a couple of seasons ago made his teammates lose confidence in him.

That was obvious when he was knocked down and no offensive linemen would go to help him up except Strange69 Gucci jeans.

So we learned. The team that drafts Caleb Crybaby Williams is gonna get themselves a good ole fashioned bust.

Anyone with eyes can see Bo Nix or Spencer Rattler are going to have a better career.

Lots of posters continue to support Mac even after it was obvious he was a bust. ;)

Penix will give you ulcers bc of the "what if's" but his arm talent, maturity and ability to avoid sacks are big in my book. He's got instincts in the pocket but isn't a true duel threat and can't consistently beat you outside the pocket. He'll need a top tier-ish OL. It's a gamble but I see a path for success with Penix.
Yes. And I expect him to outperform the Big Four.

I expect him to end up better than Daniels at any rate.

If they took a trade down with Minnesota. Taking Minnesota’s 11.,23, 108 and a 1st next year. Lot of possibilities.

Draft Penix at 11

Draft Guyton at 23. Would make sense because he protected a Lefty in college so he’s not changing positions

Draft the best WR at 34. Take your pick. Or they could package and take Thomas?

Or if they wanted to, they could package 23 and 34 to get Fautanu and still have 68 and 108 for wrs.

Not saying they do this but it does peak interest. Jobs are at stake here if he can’t cut it.

If they took a trade down with Minnesota. Taking Minnesota’s 11.,23, 108 and a 1st next year. Lot of possibilities.

Draft Penix at 11

Draft Guyton at 23. Would make sense because he protected a Lefty in college so he’s not changing positions

Draft the best WR at 34. Take your pick. Or they could package and take Thomas?

Or if they wanted to, they could package 23 and 34 to get Fautanu and still have 68 and 108 for wrs.
Why not trade down again. Scar3392 has got me thinking:
Trade 3 to Minny for 11, 23 & 2025 1st
Trade 11 to Arizona for 27, 35 & 2025 4th
This would put us out of the running for a big name QB or LT, but we would have the ammunition to fill the many holes on this roster.

Last edited:

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
Back